Here's my 8 3/4, please help with advice....

Author Topic: Here's my 8 3/4, please help with advice....  (Read 2343 times)

Offline 72bluNblu

Re: Here's my 8 3/4, please help with advice....
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2009 - 01:11:56 AM »
It should still work. It is a little shorter (Glennster-are you sure thats a '65 B-rear? measures more like a '63!). I believe its about as narrow as you can go with stock wheelhouses. Stroker would know better, he's got this down to a science (seriously, PM stroker)! But I know for sure the 68-70 will fit, and I'm almost positive I've heard of '65-67 being used before. At 53 1/2" its a little narrower than 65-67 B-rear spec though, it'd be worth checking with someone that knows better than I do.

If it doesn't fit, I need a rear to go in my new '71 dart project, and that's only an inch off A body spec width. I'd be happy to take the housing and axles off your hands if you can't use them.  I just had a housing and axles shipped to me, its not as hard as it might seem. :bigsmile:

The spring relocation costs an extra $175 from Dr. Diff, and makes the whole thing a bolt on gig. Its definitely not chump change, but its a ton easier than re-welding your perches. And probably cheaper if you're not doing the welding yourself. Plus it will allow some very large tires, if that fits with any part of the plan.

Offline 1black71rt

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2009 - 02:06:40 AM »
Hi glennster if you don't want to do the spring relocation? I have a 8 3/4 rear. I will make you a good deal on and it out a 70 challenger. I live in defiance, Ohio. pm me if you want more info.
Joe
1971 triple black challenger r/t
1971 charger se
1997 dodge ram SST
2010 challenger r/t

Offline Glennster

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2009 - 06:45:14 AM »
1black71rt,
 PM is incoming.................

72bluNblu,
 I '' think '' want to stay with the wider (56 1/2'') rear.  I'd like to be able to use my stock wheel and tires. I might have to get a set of wider 15'' wheels and tires down the road. If I don't use this rear, we can work out the shipping.

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2009 - 06:54:25 PM »
You sure don't  ;D.  The b-body rear conversion is pretty popular to get larger tires under the rear. With a B-body rear end and the 1" spring relocation kit you can fit 10" rims and up to about a 305-315 tire! (just ask Stroker!)

Now, if you don't plan on running tires anywhere near that big, don't worry. You're stock rims will still work, but they'll be tucked under the car about 1 1/2" per side. It'll probably look a little funny, but it won't interfere with anything (after all the springs are relocated!). This can also be addressed with a little less backspacing. But if you're planning on 400+ hp, then I'm guessing you were going to get bigger tires at some point.

I have a '68-'70 B-body 8 3/4" rear for my car for that exact reason. And that 742 center chunk is a good deal too. Might be a peg leg, but its arguably the strongest center for an 8 3/4". I don't like the crush set up on the 489's, which is why I have a couple of 742's to replace the 741's in my Challenger and Dart. Get a sure-grip for it and you're set, you'll have a very strong rear axle with the ability to run some nice big tires.  :2thumbs:

:iagree: b body rear is a better swap for bigger and I think with the dr diff set up it may ride a little better due to location of spring angles( dont quote me on that) but I think I read that someware  :dunno:
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline Glennster

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2009 - 09:22:24 PM »
I think you guys will think I'm nuts. But I want to stay with the E Body (width) rear housing. As much as it does not make sense to many, I want to stay with my little 14'' Styled Road Wheels. I would like to have a set of wheels and tires for the occasional Friday night test and tune at the drag strip. But for now, that would be my preference.
 Dr. Diff is a great guy, he was patient and helpful even with my uneducated questions. He has an E Body housing and a set of axles to go with it. I'll probably buy them from him. I'm going to send him my pig, he'll use my 323 gears and the housing, and install the Sure Grip. He'll probably give me the total cost tomorrow.
 I've learned a lot, and I still don't know squat. This is FUN!

Offline Glennster

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2009 - 06:30:22 AM »
72bluNblu,
  I won't be using the the 8 3/4 housing and axles, let me know if you want them....................
I was measuring the housing from inside to inside on the flange (53 /1/2'', I think the proper way to measure is outside to outside. That measurement is 55''.

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2009 - 06:53:07 AM »
I think you guys will think I'm nuts. But I want to stay with the E Body (width) rear housing. As much as it does not make sense to many, I want to stay with my little 14'' Styled Road Wheels. I would like to have a set of wheels and tires for the occasional Friday night test and tune at the drag strip. But for now, that would be my preference.
 Dr. Diff is a great guy, he was patient and helpful even with my uneducated questions. He has an E Body housing and a set of axles to go with it. I'll probably buy them from him. I'm going to send him my pig, he'll use my 323 gears and the housing, and install the Sure Grip. He'll probably give me the total cost tomorrow.
 I've learned a lot, and I still don't know squat. This is FUN!

:iagree: if thats what you want, go for it!  :2thumbs:

:bigsmile:
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2009 - 03:42:41 PM »
72bluNblu,
  I won't be using the the 8 3/4 housing and axles, let me know if you want them....................
I was measuring the housing from inside to inside on the flange (53 /1/2'', I think the proper way to measure is outside to outside. That measurement is 55''.

Its probably 54 15/16", which should make it a 68-70 b-body rear. Funny enough, I already have 2 of those, so I really don't need it myself. Had it been shorter it would've been a better choice for my A-body. It is the PERFECT size for an e-body conversion though, as if the measurement is correct it would only move the wheels about 3/4" inward, while moving the spring perches 1", giving you more room for both rim and tire. Now, if you want to keep your road wheels it really doesn't buy you anything, although it would take a pretty close look to tell any difference between that and the stock rear. Personally, if the cost of the e-body axle and housing is going to be a ton more than an offset kit I'd still use the B-rear. But that's of course your choice to make.  ;D

Offline Glennster

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2009 - 09:30:32 PM »
I was measuring from inside flange to inside flange. Going outside to outside I've got 54 1/2'' on the B & 57'' on the 8 1/4 E.