Hey I got a crazy idea this past weekend...

Author Topic: Hey I got a crazy idea this past weekend...  (Read 10441 times)

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
Re: Hey I got a crazy idea this past weekend...
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009 - 07:34:18 PM »
http://www.supercars.net/cars/4203.html
http://www.arielmotor.co.uk/full_screen_v2.html

If I were going to spend that kind of coin, I would get one of the ariel atoms.

Now that’s a bad ass super car!
 :bigsmile:
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009 - 07:54:43 PM »
I think it's interesting that you guys think I - or anyone - can "build" a 'Cuda for 20K.  I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers from, but CP estimated north of $40K just to restore the 'Cuda that I was already 15K into.  Now, I could BUY a 'Cuda for 25K, but so can anyone else.

It's alright though - this is obviously something I have to keep researching and decide for myself.  Thanks.

Jeff

I built my 71 cuda for roughly 22k, including the purchase price and all of the supplies. and did it when the price of 71's peaked. I did all of my own work and looked for deals on parts. It had a 440 6 pack in it.

1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

moparniac

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009 - 08:01:11 PM »
Waht does 40K get you ? I guess it depends on the build obviously  :working:

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009 - 08:43:24 PM »
My resto cost about $25K, and that was with farming out most of the work.  Besides, I thought your intention was to buy a finished car, as opposed to building or restoring one?

Offline Bearcuda

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2009 - 10:01:20 PM »
http://www.supercars.net/cars/4203.html
http://www.arielmotor.co.uk/full_screen_v2.html

If I were going to spend that kind of coin, I would get one of the ariel atoms.

Now that’s a bad ass super car!
 :bigsmile:

These cars are crazy fast. Did you see the drive and review on Top Gear? What a brutally fun car THAT would be. Cudas are still my first love though.
1973 Cuda 440
1971 Javelin SST

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2009 - 11:33:09 PM »
My resto cost about $25K, and that was with farming out most of the work.  Besides, I thought your intention was to buy a finished car, as opposed to building or restoring one?

I plan on buying a finished 'CUDA - because if I buy some $10K clunker, I'm going to have $20K+ to spend to "restore" it, and then you still run the risk of rust coming through, not having the correct parts, and of course the fact that you still have a 30-year-old car. 

For $40K into a GTR, you have a BRAND NEW car (except maybe a used engine and trans, but that all depends on what you buy) that WON'T rust (fiberglass body panels.)

But it's cool - like I said, I'm going to continue to research this idea.  I had thought of using it as a daily driver, since the V8 in a 2,300 pound car should actually get pretty good gas mileage, but I'm also learning that it has NO storage space of any kind - no trunk, no glovebox, not even a cupholder.  I'm still thinking about getting a 2010 SS Camaro.

And sorry, Stroker - I'm not selling the Viper, no matter how many times you suggest it.  The Viper was actually my dream car longer than the 'Cuda was, and I got one that DOESN'T need restored.  It's here to stay.
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2009 - 12:25:22 AM »
Ive got a crazy idea to. Get a stickof dynamite, tie it to an arrow , get a bow and shoot it at the mechanics house thats had my challenger paid for last 4 years and not finishing his damn job, then get another 1 and go to the other guys place and blast his house since he has my charger and now hasfamily issues so doesnt wanna know about my car that I paid him 2000 for to do.

I learned a long time ago, dont pay a cent until work is done. When you walk into Walmart, you dont give the cashier a $50, then go shopping.

That is a cool looking car, for sure. Personally, I could never build something like that. Have you ever been to the kit car show at Carlisle? I went about 20 years ago, and it was fantastic. Then I went again about 10 years ago, and there was hardly anything there. Havent been back since.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2009 - 01:53:45 AM »
Iused to build kit cars ofr a living , I was never all that imporessed with the final product , the fit & finish / details were never as good as a production car , but the 2500 lb SRT 8 asounds like a blast to drive , the resale would be difficult though

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

moparniac

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2009 - 04:28:47 AM »
The guy that did a mid 80's lambo kit car countache around here looked like crap up close..... jeff keep the viper if its your dream car!

I still dont understand your posts..... You dont want to restore a cuda for "40k" but yet you say anyone could buy one for $25k  :screwy: please explain ??? maybe im misreading you!

My "opinion" is scrap the kit car deal and do up a cuda one way or another  :2thumbs:

Offline 4drbrnko

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2009 - 05:30:05 AM »
Factory Fice makes some nice toys.  :bigsmile:

If the SRT ends up being a little long you may be able to shift the transaxle back without affecting the overall drivetrain.
I'm not familiar with the Porche layout, but my ZF transaxle was shifted about 2" to the rear in my Pantera when the previous owner installed the 427 sideoiler in it.
I can post a couple pics of the brackets used and you could see if it would be compatable?
<-------<<<  Clickylinks..... My vehicles

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2009 - 07:09:15 AM »
You're talking about spending $40k not $10k here so if you're talking about financing that much why not just get you're "finished" Cuda now?  :dunno: Id also say that just b/c theres a dozen eggs in front of you, You're not going to end up with 12 Chickens.   :thinkerg:

Think about the family stuff too, you'er wife wants to keep you happy but if she knew that you guys were blowing all of that money on something that would never be worth it, she may think differently.

I used to love buying cars and blowing my money on everything, but being married with a little one on the way, I need to think about the big picture. So, Im having fun with the toys Ive got and if there is room for growth in a larger garage down the road, that would be awesome.

Just my  :2cents:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2009 - 12:02:27 PM »
You spend 40k in that kitt, ur gonna have a lot of work to do to and end up with **** that blends in and isnt even real.

???

It isn't real?  You're saying it'll be a 40-thousand-dollar cloud?  I'm really confused by that one...  Just because it doesn't say "Dodge" or "Chevy" or "Ford" on it, it isn't real?  Just because my money isn't going into the hands of an auto manufacturer (or the Government, I guess) then the car isn't justifiable as a car?

I wrote up a big reply but I'm not even going to bother with it.  I'll just sum it up like this:

A: I don't WANT an 800 horsepower Viper
B: I don't WANT to buy an old car and then have to spend a ton of money to have someone ELSE fix it for me.
C: I LIKE GT40's and Ferraris - which by the way cost MUCH more than $40K
D: Anyone who think a Lamborhini Diablo "blends in with every other car" is looking through coke-bottle glasses.
E: Yeah I have a Viper, and yes I'd like to have more cars.  Funny that nobody gives Daytona this kind of crap...  I guess, what, I have to be a millionaire to enjoy my life?  I'm not though so I guess I have to think about giving money to other people and just working 9-to-5 until I'm dead, right?

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2009 - 12:07:05 PM »
I think there is a lot of "crap" (as you put it) being given because of your situation; being unemplyed currently, credit card bills, the Viper payment, living in an apartment, etc. and the fact that in the end with a kit car you will never get back what you have invested into it, mostly because they aren't "real" cars and tend to have a cheap feel to them especially in the interior and overall fit and finish.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2009 - 12:15:20 PM »
I only have one credit card.  I paid the other four off last year.  Actually the only debt giving me grief is the damned school loans.  I could BUY a Ferrari tomorrow and still not be in as much automotive debt as I am school debt.  Mind you - 60+% of it is the wife's.  So whatamIgonnado?

Why is Resale value such an argument for everyone?  Hell - I had no intention of selling the 'Cuda until I realized how much it would cost to fix the body.  I don't buy cars with the intent to sell them.  I mean, I know that the option always exists, but it's never an end goal.

Four major points: (the number keeps increasing as I go on..)
1:  If I'm going to spend 300 hours building a car, why the HELL would I want to think about turning around and selling it??
2:  A few articles I've read have mentioned people selling their GTM's for 60K.
3:  I had a $12,000 Cuda that would have cost over $40,000 to restore.  When I got done, would it be worth $52,000 for a 318 'Cuda?  Nope.  So even the classic cars aren't worth what you put into them.  Why should the GTM be any different?
3:  Jay Leno once said "If you build a car, and you do it right, and you make money off of it, you did something wrong."  It was in an issue of Snap-On's in-house magazine.

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2009 - 12:19:14 PM »
The only reason I said something is that it is always nice to have another Cuda on the road.  Sorry if you took it bad.
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon