Hey I got a crazy idea this past weekend...

Author Topic: Hey I got a crazy idea this past weekend...  (Read 10454 times)

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
Hey I got a crazy idea this past weekend...
« on: July 28, 2009 - 12:10:31 AM »
Alright, hear me out.  I know I'm unemployed right now, but things are looking up - have my second interview with AEP this Thursday - hopefully be back to work in a week or two.  For the rest of this post, just PRETEND that I'm gainfully employed!

With the 'Cuda gone and the plan to basically buy one that's ready to roll, I've been trying to think of what my first serious automotive project is going to be.  I've been thinking for some time that the ultimate automotive project would be to build a kit car.  My wife and I have chatted about it while going on evening walks together, and she thinks it'd be a lot of fun - something we could even work on together from time to time.  So I started researching.

I don't want to build a "replicar" - modifying one vehicle to look like another.  Most seem to use Mazda Miatas or Toyota MR2's.  I want something that's one-off, completely unique - something that makes people go "What the heck is that!?!"

Introducing the Factory Five GTM.  I'm sure some of you are familiar with it.

It's a completely one-of-a-kind vehicle built by Factory Five - arguably the #1 designer of Cobra replica kits in the world.

This thing uses parts from 1997-2004 Chevy C5 Corvettes.  It uses the front and rear suspensions (minus the springs,) brakes, and the 350hp LS1 engine.  It uses a G50 transaxle from Porsche to fulfill the needs of the mid-engine chassis.

The kit costs $20,000 plus a few grand in "upgrades" such as A/C, a custom-built steering shaft, carbon fiber air-splitters, etc.  The Corvette parts can be acquired for less than $9,000.  The Porsche tranny can be acquired for less than $3,000.  Add in paint, and you've got a Ferrari-fighting supercar for right around $40,000.  It seems pricey, but if you spread the costs out over a few years, it's a pretty sweet deal!

Today I spoke on the phone with a rep from Factory Five.  Whereas I love the appearance and performance of the GTM, the biggest problem I have with it is that big ol' Chevy engine sitting beneath glass at the rear.  I asked about the possibility of installing the 6.1L HEMI from the Charger/Challenger/300C SRT8 cars.  He said that I might need to modify the front wall of the engine bay (basically behind the back seats) and of course modify the engine mounts and exhaust, but that it would probably fit without any serious issues.  They built a version of the GTM that used an LS7 Crate Motor, so they said that I'd probably have to do the same modifications they had to do.  He also recommended using the Porsche GT3 transmission from the 911, which can take the beefier torque figures that the HEMI produces.  He said they can modify the chassis for me to fit the GT3, since they used it on the LS7 build.

I'm actually thinking of building it!  I'm thinking of spending a year paying off some more debt, and then starting to save up for the kit.  By the time I get it built (estimating about 3 years) my current daily driver will be near-death, and this will be able to take over!  After all, if I BUILD my own car from near-scratch, I'm going to drive the wheels off of it!

Some quick stats - 0-to-60 in 3 seconds, quarter mile in low-to-mid 11's.  2,500 pound curb weight.

Whaddaya guys think?

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline Mentally Challenged

Re: Hey I got a crazy idea this past weekend...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009 - 01:08:30 AM »
I think it would be pretty cool, I agree with you on the chevy engine. Could do with out that. Other than that it would be a sweet looking ride
Chris, Ohio

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009 - 07:23:28 AM »
dont live up north in the snow  :smilielol:

i would go for this car first

http://www.thehemi.com/data/news/20090714-1_4b.jpg
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009 - 07:40:24 AM »
 :clueless:  I think ya got too much time on your hands (unemployed), and beyond that such a project   :2cents:  would be a gross waste of more time and more money. .............You asked.   :roflsmiley:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009 - 07:55:26 AM »
Personally I wouldn't buy a product from Factory Five. My Dad works for one of the top cobra builders on the planet and Factory Five tries to steal designs from my Dad's boss. They are rated as the number 1 cobra builder because they pop out the most cars, not because they build the best product. That kit looks cool, but I don't trust Factory Five. Also aren't you in an apartment? Where would you build that car?
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009 - 10:34:39 AM »
Wow, some interesting posts.  :)  G-Man, how do you really feel?

Dodgeboys - no I'm hoping to be moving south to Virginia.  Still some snow, but rarely and not nearly as much.

WSM - I'm surprised that you'd consider it to be a waste of time and money.  Lately I've been wasting my time and money on video games.  So to me, spending that time and money building my own car from scratch seems like a MUCH better investment of both of those resources.

72hemi - I'm interested in what you've told me.  I know that Factory Five spent over 5 years designing this car, and since it's a home-grown design, they would have had to do this one on their own.  I also have read some independent reviews from sources like Car & Driver, who have given it stellar reviews for performance, quality, and road-worthiness.  But I hear what you're saying and I'll take that into consideration.  The only problem is, the next-closest kit-car price I can find (in the non-replica category) is over $50,000 HIGHER in price!

I REALLY liked this car - the Rossian Q1:

But the body ALONE is $80,000.  The engine costs about $12,000 (Twin-Turbo 3.0 V6) and the tranny another $3,000 or so.  Add in some incidental costs, engine tuning, etc and you've got a $100,000 car!!   :scared:

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009 - 11:54:04 AM »
That looks cool.

There can be alot of snow in roanoke Va.  I know I drove through there several times over the years.  I lived in Martinsville VA and got a lot of snow that I had to drive through.

I think I would rather build a cuda and still come up with a  good car. :bigsmile:
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009 - 01:25:53 PM »
 :2cents: I think you'd be absolutely crazy to get into something like this.  First of all, how long do you really think it would take you to build this car?  Kit cars are just that, a kit, with lots and lots and lots of parts.  Sure, you can build it yourself for $40K, but I assume that is if you do every bit of work yourself, including paint and body.  You'll probably be north of $50K if you have to get a shop involved.  You could take $30K and buy a nice, finished Cuda, and bank the extra $20K.

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009 - 01:29:47 PM »
:2cents: I think you'd be absolutely crazy to get into something like this.  First of all, how long do you really think it would take you to build this car?  Kit cars are just that, a kit, with lots and lots and lots of parts.  Sure, you can build it yourself for $40K, but I assume that is if you do every bit of work yourself, including paint and body.  You'll probably be north of $50K if you have to get a shop involved.  You could take $30K and buy a nice, finished Cuda, and bank the extra $20K.

:iagree: it's your money though, do what makes you happy. I think if you were ever to sell it, you would not get your money back out of it.

How does a kit car work on registering? would it be like 2010 kit etc, etc, then insurance?
Scott   -  Member since 9/18/2005

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009 - 01:42:40 PM »
The registration of the vehicle will depend on the state in which it is to be registered. Here in California it is not a fun process to go through at all. I agree with 73Chally. Do you still have the Viper?
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009 - 02:24:58 PM »
Jeff my opinion is just that............but for the money your talking about what kind of Mopar do you think you could have ?  Thus my stated opinion.   :dunno:  :cheers: When / if you invest that kind of $$$$$$ make it wisely is really what i'm saying.  :2thumbs:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009 - 03:20:30 PM »
Hey Jeff,

I don't usually post in these types of threads, but since you posted pics and a description of what you are looking at, I'll chime in.
Those cars are neat to see going down the road, because you don't get a real good look at them.  That makes you wonder, "what was that?"  At car shows and cruise-ins where I get an opportunity to see them up close, my reaction is always, "Oh, it's just a kit car."  I understand the effort that goes into building one of them.  A huge amount of sweat equity involved.  I for one have never been a kit car fan---any kit car.  Just my 0.02.....   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

moparniac

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009 - 04:08:23 PM »
At car shows and cruise-ins where I get an opportunity to see them up close, my reaction is always, "Oh, it's just a kit car."     

EXACTLY..... Its just a kit car   :eek4: Thats like buying a  $80,000 bourgett chopper and only being able to sell it for $15000 ....... dude your nuts and will lose you azz........ you fly by the seat of your pants too much and always change your mind later on stuff! Those video games where you build your own car has you going nuts dude!  :scared: I didnt think the word "poser" was still around but the general concensus is its a fake car etc... and they just dont have the "respect" a real cuda does!  :2cents: You will always be looking for the best way to nicely expalin its a kit car/ replica/ wannabe or whatever!

Sell the viper get a $5000 daily driver and get a nice cuda! In all honesty you cant afford a "supercar" right now...... what will your new handle be  :smilielol:

None of your "dream" cars will ever be as cool as a badd azz cuda rolling down the street pumping 600 ponies!

No offense intended jeff you seem like a nice guy n all  but you asked for "opinions" :2thumbs:  :bigsmile:

« Last Edit: July 28, 2009 - 04:11:51 PM by StRoKer »

Offline cj

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009 - 05:20:09 PM »
If it makes you happy...your pics look good...just not my thing.

If I had the time, cash, equipment & skills...my car would be a 71 Cuda shell packed with all the high tech, modern day guts...

We all have our dreams...go for yours!
Cheryl
"Mopar or No Car"
1973 Challenger
1974 Barracuda
2006 Charger Daytona Torred

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009 - 06:38:15 PM »
I think it's interesting that you guys think I - or anyone - can "build" a 'Cuda for 20K.  I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers from, but CP estimated north of $40K just to restore the 'Cuda that I was already 15K into.  Now, I could BUY a 'Cuda for 25K, but so can anyone else.

It's alright though - this is obviously something I have to keep researching and decide for myself.  Thanks.

Jeff