Author Topic: Have YOU Lubed Your Rear End.......Lately ?  (Read 726 times)

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Have YOU Lubed Your Rear End.......Lately ?
« on: July 30, 2009 - 01:44:36 AM »
I'm in the middle of going over my 8.75 & thought I would tell those of you who have NOT greased your rear axle bearings, there is nothing to be afraid of.. Very simple.
  Shelbydog did a very good write up some time back on replacing the bearing so I'll just link to that if you need any technical info. l
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=35471.0

One thing I will add is cleaning the grease out of my 50K mile bearings was a little more involved than I anticipated.  While there was plenty of clean looking grease still in the tube that on & in the bearing was sticky to even hard.  I first tried carb cleaner but all it was doing was flushing chunks & particles so I changed to my engine cleaning gun for compressed air & shot some mineral spirits in them & after a little soak the black gunk poured out with a second treatment.

Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Cuda72

• Remember, in the next world you're on your own!
Re: Have YOU Lubed Your Rear End.......Lately ?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009 - 04:58:47 PM »
Thanks for the reminder on repacking the bearings! I just spent the past 1.5 hours pulling the axles from my Cuda and cleaned/repacked the bearings. This was a very easy job, but I did find out the tab that holds the adjuster from moving on the passenger side isn't there on my car. Someone who previously worked on it just put a chisel to the threads to keep it from moving :screwy: . I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that I didn't damage the inner seals when I removed the axle however, as I just left them alone (I was very careful when pulling the axle not to tear the seal).

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: Have YOU Lubed Your Rear End.......Lately ?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009 - 05:50:29 PM »
Wouldn't be too hard to fashion an adjuster tab out of a fender washer
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!