Author Topic: Anyone interested in Fantasy Football  (Read 9098 times)

sleepychallenger

Re: Anyone interested in Fantasy Football
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2009 - 02:14:20 PM »
probably easy win for you, I will learn as I go. you don't mind my guys will all be wearing pink do ya?  boy won't that really be bad if you lose in week one to a bunch of guys in pink   :poopoke:
im new to this as well, i got suckered into two other leagues now too. oh well, cant lose in all of them right?!?!?

Offline AmazenToys

• AmazenToys
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2009 - 02:17:02 PM »
seen you sleepy, I think you and I are playing each other in week1

Until all the teams are in, I don't think we'll know who we play yet? I could be wrong, it's all by default.
1973 Dodge Challenger, Warren Michigan.

Offline AmazenToys

• AmazenToys
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2009 - 02:18:35 PM »
I am Phillies biting Fish.  Sure I know "Phillies" is baseball but I lik it better than Philly's......

I voted for playing for fun.  My reasoning behind that is because it seems as though we have some newbies here.  These Leagues tend to become permanent and the money can be incorporated down the road.  I've always found it best to let the newb's get their feet wet without the threat of being cut with both sides of the sword.

I agree, thats we made it a fun league.

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2009 - 06:01:22 PM »
Sorry it took me awhile to get in - I haven't had a lot of computer time recently.
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2009 - 06:08:26 PM »
OK,

More questions for you guys that have done this before...

What is the purpose of ranking the players? Will I just be doing this for my roster, or the whole league? I mean, if I have a player rated lower than some guy on the free-agent list, I should probably make a swap, right??

...Gosh, am I still in last place?    :smilielol:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2009 - 06:29:55 PM »
 :ylsuper: M.E.K,a little insde tip,.....

MAKE SURE you take ADRIAN PETERSON
MINNESOTA VIKINGS
and our new rookie
PERCY HARVIN
should be one of the best one two punches in the nfl.

......Dave................  :cheers:
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2009 - 07:01:30 PM »
OK,

More questions for you guys that have done this before...

What is the purpose of ranking the players? Will I just be doing this for my roster, or the whole league? I mean, if I have a player rated lower than some guy on the free-agent list, I should probably make a swap, right??

...Gosh, am I still in last place?    :smilielol:

The purpose of pre-ranking players is for the draft.  Yahoo has a preset ranking of players based on what certain unknown experts think they'll score in fantasy points.  If you think that Player A is more valuable than Player B, you can move that player up in the rankings.  For example, say Yahoo has Peyton Manning ranked ahead of Philip Rivers because Manning's statistical history, health and supporting cast mean he should throw for 30 TD's this year while Rivers should statistically only throw for 25.  However, you think that LaDanian Tomlinson and Antonio Gates are fully healed and will provide Rivers with more point-scoring opportunities (through yards thrown and TD passes) than Manning will get.  You can move Rivers up in the rankings above Manning.  Then, when the computer starts drafting, if Rivers is your highest-rated player still available and you still need a QB, the computer will select him for you. 

If you don't want to think that hard, just leave the current rankings alone.  Either way, you'll still get some players you really like and some who you've never heard of.  The trick is then to look at what you have, look at the available undrafted free agents and see if there's someone still out there you think you'd rather have.  Or, you can offer a trade to one of the other teams.  If you do that, please have the courtesy to offer players of similar potential quality for the ones you want.  I can't tell you the number of times I've had some idiot offer me a second-string running back and a mediocre wide receiver for a front-line QB.
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline JoltinJoe

• BALZ TO THE WALZ MAN
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2009 - 07:06:58 PM »
It would be good to go to a magazine store and buy a NFL Fantasy Football magazine.  Just check the price on all of them and get the middle priced one.  Find some time, soon, and learn it from cover to cover.  Everything is based on a value system so you can ignore all of the $money$ and auction stuff.

Also, to familiarize yourself with our scoring system, go to our site and click on  LEAGUE and then click on SCORING & SETTINGS.  Once there, scroll down one page to OFFENSE.  From here down you will find the point value for every football play that our League scores: offensive, kicking and a DEFENSIVE TEAM.  Please note that all of the values provided for DEFENSIVE/SPECIAL TEAMS are only there to assist you in choosing an actual NFL teams DEFENSE combined with their SPECIAL TEAMS results.  However, this is my tenth year in fantasy football and I have never heard of anyone handicapping the Special Teams; so just focus on figuring out the top 20 Defenses.

Last but most important drafting advise, Running Backs are everything.  If you study the magazine it should teach you this.  If you don't maintain a healthy RB core all season, you can be sure that you will not be holding a SUPERBOWL TROPHY at the end.  In all these years, last year was the first and only exception to this rule.

One more thing, you might notice a position: W/R/T : this is called a FLEX PLAYER.  It can be a Wide Receiver, RB or Tight End.  Be very careful with your 3rd WR, RB or the top TE's as this one pick can make or break ya....

I may have missed some and even got something wrong but here's to the birth of a fine FFBL!    :cheers:
HIS: '68 GMC 3/4 ton pick-up truck, '73 Barracuda, '87 Firebird, '01 Jeep Cherokee and finally a '70 Barracuda Convertible!
HERS: 1980 Toyota Starlet, 1995 SAAB 9-5 and then '01 SAAB 9-3 and currently '08 Saab 9-3 convertible!
NEXT IS MINE: purple 2010 Dodge Challenger!!!

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2009 - 07:54:01 PM »
OK,

I so appreciate the help guys.   :grinyes:  So if I'm to follow along here, if I'm stupid enough to rate some second string running back high, the Yahoo computer will probably stick me with him?   :dunno:  I guess my question is will the computer give a guy like Peyton Manning to someone that has him rated high, or is it random?      :1zhelp:  Thanks for your help once again!!    :worshippy

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline AmazenToys

• AmazenToys
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2009 - 08:48:56 PM »
OK,

I so appreciate the help guys.   :grinyes:  So if I'm to follow along here, if I'm stupid enough to rate some second string running back high, the Yahoo computer will probably stick me with him?   :dunno:  I guess my question is will the computer give a guy like Peyton Manning to someone that has him rated high, or is it random?      :1zhelp:  Thanks for your help once again!!    :worshippy

Mike

Yahoo does a good job in ranking players, but like said here, your strategy may be different, yes RB is everything, but I seen a QB Dominate, 2 years ago look at QB Tom Brady, he put points on the board that were unbelievable. Don't knock a second string player, look at LT, his backup matched him last year if I remember correctly. Yes, I agree, and like I said, purchase a Fantasy Football Magazine, put you out 8 bucks maybe.

For your other concerns, after the draft, you have every chance to drop a player, and pick up another player from the free agent market, or waivers, as you season moves on, you'll start to get a feel for things, and I think everyone here will offer some advice, that is unless you end up first in the standings, then your on your own - LOL

Later in the season you may start to see trades, you may even be offered a trade, or offer a trade. This helped me 2 years ago, I had Eli Manning, his first game he was hurt in the third quarter, he was out for 5 weeks, well the second week my Backup QB was hurt, I had no QB, had to pick a QB from the free agent market. I took advantage later in the season as I feel into the standings, I had LT, another Team was QB strong, but RB weak, well I made a Trade for Peyton Manning, LT had a so so year, Peyton came alive up until Eli got healthy, well needless to say, and not to brag, that move gave me the Championship years end.

Offline JoltinJoe

• BALZ TO THE WALZ MAN
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2009 - 08:51:35 PM »

You made me realize something.  My introduction to FFB was into an established, cut-throat League.  Needless to say, no one minded that the first four RB's that I chose were all backups... Needless to say, I did not have the luxury of an auto draft.

Draft day is fun but drafting is difficult even for the most seasoned veteran.  Even pre-ranking an auto draft is work.  Thinking back to my first draft, I wish I had an auto draft... I suggest you skip the pre-ranking and take advantage of Yahoo's auto draft system.  You'll have plenty of time to learn for next year.
HIS: '68 GMC 3/4 ton pick-up truck, '73 Barracuda, '87 Firebird, '01 Jeep Cherokee and finally a '70 Barracuda Convertible!
HERS: 1980 Toyota Starlet, 1995 SAAB 9-5 and then '01 SAAB 9-3 and currently '08 Saab 9-3 convertible!

Offline AmazenToys

• AmazenToys
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2009 - 07:27:37 AM »
We need one more Team, did I miss sending someone an invite? if so, Please send me your email addy, I need 1 more Team to make it 10, or 3 more Teams to make it 12, would not want to go anymore then 12. Please PM me, or email me at amazentoys@gmail.com, Thanks Bob

Offline CrazyPete

« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2009 - 07:46:20 AM »
got all signed up should be fun

1970 Dodge Challenger T/A      http://heartlandmopars.com
1970 Plymouth Barracuda Gran Coupe
1976 Dodge Dart Sport
"Is that an oil leak?  No it's just sweat from all that HORSEPOWER"

Offline AmazenToys

• AmazenToys
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2009 - 09:44:45 AM »
PROPOSAL INFO ONLY:

Draft Type:
 Autopick Draft

Max Teams:

Scoring Type:
 Head-to-Head

Start Scoring on:
 Week 1

Can't Cut List Provider:
 None

Max Moves:
 No maximum

Max Acquisitions per Week:
 No maximum

Max Trades:
 No maximum

Trade Reject Time:

Trade End Date:
 November 20, 2009

Trade Review:
 Commissioner

Waiver Time:
 No waivers

Waiver Type:
 Continual rolling list

Weekly Waivers
 Sunday - Tuesday

Post Draft Players:
 Free Agents

Playoffs:
 Week 15 and 16 (4 teams)

Divisions:
 No

Roster Positions:
 QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, K, DEF, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR, IR

Fractional Points:
 Yes

Negative Points:
 Yes

I changed the max Teams from 8 to 10

I added the Flex Player RB/WR/TE to the line-up

Offline JoltinJoe

• BALZ TO THE WALZ MAN
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2009 - 09:53:34 AM »
I'm not sure about the TD pass scoring.  Should it be 4 or 6?

Also, when is the auto draft?