Author Topic: Anyone interested in Fantasy Football  (Read 9090 times)

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
Re: Anyone interested in Fantasy Football
« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2009 - 02:49:44 PM »
What say you publish on August 31st after the Monday night game?  That would put the draft sometime that week, giving us Labor Day weekend to study our free agency options and still have time to make more adjustments after the last pre-season games.  This is especially important since most of the first-team starters will play a couple of quarters in the last preseason games, increasing the possibility of injury.
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline JoltinJoe

• BALZ TO THE WALZ MAN
« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2009 - 02:59:29 PM »
1st game is Thursday Sept 10th, I'd want more time to play the free agency in case I dont like something about my draft pics, it have to be earlier in my eyes.
Well that's two votes.
HIS: '68 GMC 3/4 ton pick-up truck, '73 Barracuda, '87 Firebird, '01 Jeep Cherokee and finally a '70 Barracuda Convertible!
HERS: 1980 Toyota Starlet, 1995 SAAB 9-5 and then '01 SAAB 9-3 and currently '08 Saab 9-3 convertible!
NEXT IS MINE: purple 2010 Dodge Challenger!!!

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #107 on: August 11, 2009 - 05:59:11 PM »
Stupid question #412 from me...

If the draft is generated by the Yahoo computer, what are you guys getting ready for?   :dunno:

Are you ranking the  players, or what?   :1zhelp:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline JoltinJoe

• BALZ TO THE WALZ MAN
« Reply #108 on: August 11, 2009 - 06:09:25 PM »
Yes & no.  No because Yahoo needs the latest preseason information to update their ranking systems.  Yes because I, and maybe others, would like the latest preseason information to prerank.

Now I also think that we don't need much more than a few days of Free Agency before the season starts because this will present a disadvantage to the newbies.  Drafting a couple days before Opening Night will see to it that Yahoo won't put any scrubs on our teams.
HIS: '68 GMC 3/4 ton pick-up truck, '73 Barracuda, '87 Firebird, '01 Jeep Cherokee and finally a '70 Barracuda Convertible!
HERS: 1980 Toyota Starlet, 1995 SAAB 9-5 and then '01 SAAB 9-3 and currently '08 Saab 9-3 convertible!

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #109 on: August 11, 2009 - 06:15:29 PM »
Hmm,

Ok, so even after the draft(and before game #1), it might be worth a look on the free-agent list to see if I might think a player is better than someone Yahoo stuck me with? 

Again guys, I appreciate all the help you have given me.    :wave:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #110 on: August 11, 2009 - 07:12:01 PM »
Hmm,

Ok, so even after the draft(and before game #1), it might be worth a look on the free-agent list to see if I might think a player is better than someone Yahoo stuck me with? 

Again guys, I appreciate all the help you have given me.    :wave:

Absolutely correct.  Not only that, but it can be important to evaluate your team each week and then take a look at the free agent listings to see if you can find someone to improve your team. 

Take last season, for example.  Let's say you had Plaxico "I'm Packing" Burress on your team.  Typically, he was a good option to start each week (except during the Giants bye week, obviously) because he was one of Eli Manning's favorite receivers - lots of yards, decent chance of scoring a TD, so lots of fantasy points (for a wide reciever.)  However, even before his arrest last year, he wasn't playing especially well.  So, you decide to check out the free agent listings to see if there's a better WR available and you notice this guy Malcolm Floyd with the Chargers.  Not a lot of yards, but he seems to score a lot.  Well, TD's are where it's at, so you might decide to take a chance and release Burress and pick up Floyd.
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #111 on: August 11, 2009 - 07:30:10 PM »
Thanks Greg.   :worshippy

This is why I'm glad we aren't playing for money. I'm sure I would be clueless and have nobody give me advice if that were the case.

So drafting Plaxico Burress isn't a good idea?   :smilielol:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline AmazenToys

• AmazenToys
« Reply #112 on: August 12, 2009 - 07:03:40 AM »
Okay, I will publish the League on August 31st, we'll see our draft that week, time & date TBD by Yahoo Sports
1973 Dodge Challenger, Warren Michigan.

Offline AmazenToys

• AmazenToys
« Reply #113 on: August 12, 2009 - 07:11:38 AM »
DRAFT: You dont need to do anything, Yahoo Sports will make the best possible pick to meet your lineup needs. Now if you want, Yes, you can rank your Players, you may have a favorite player you want on your team, and he is ranked lower, or you may have read somewhere this player could be a sleeper this year, or this player could be a dog? You may choose to rank RB first, or you may go after the best QB first, Study a Fantasy Book, there are many out there. Go on-line and search...........but I would not worry about this 24/7, with a 10 Team League, there will still be plenty of Free Agents throughout the year, just in case Yahoo gave you a Dud. Study the point system, see where the points are to be made, and how your line up fits to that system.

Offline AmazenToys

• AmazenToys
« Reply #114 on: August 12, 2009 - 07:24:42 AM »
I had one more response for another Team to join, we are at 10, and this owner would be 11, we need even teams, so I would still need a 12th Team. Does the League want to stay at 10, or should we try to grow to 12 ?  I would not go any higher then 12 Teams, I'll post another poll, Please vote.

Offline JoltinJoe

• BALZ TO THE WALZ MAN
« Reply #115 on: August 12, 2009 - 08:29:08 AM »
I do not see the poll yet; but my solution to have 12 teams is this: add another WR and subtract a RB position.  This evens out the Player alotment of the NFL to have a 12 team FFBL.

Offline AmazenToys

• AmazenToys
« Reply #116 on: August 12, 2009 - 08:36:54 AM »
I do not see the poll yet; but my solution to have 12 teams is this: add another WR and subtract a RB position.  This evens out the Player alotment of the NFL to have a 12 team FFBL.

I can't seem to post a poll on this thread ? will keep trying

Offline JoltinJoe

• BALZ TO THE WALZ MAN
« Reply #117 on: August 12, 2009 - 08:47:29 AM »
In real life a passing touchdown is worth 6 points.

Anything else ? ? ? need to be answered to this Free, Fun, League.
The ideology of fantasy football's scoring system isn't based on the NFL's scoring system.  The passing TD is defaulted lower to keep the Quarterbacks fantasy scoring balanced out.

I feel that the passing TD should remain at the default Yahoo value of 4.

On another note, I like your addition of the Special Teams/Defensive scoring for Kickoff and Punt Returns for TD's.  However, I think its value is too high with respect to our newbies.  I would suggest this value to be no more than 3 in our inaugural year.

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #118 on: August 12, 2009 - 12:09:03 PM »
I had one more response for another Team to join, we are at 10, and this owner would be 11, we need even teams, so I would still need a 12th Team. Does the League want to stay at 10, or should we try to grow to 12 ?  I would not go any higher then 12 Teams, I'll post another poll, Please vote.

If you get another response for a 12th team, I'm OK with that.  But I think I wouldn't admit the 11th team until you have the 12th one lined up - admit them both at the same time.  (No disrespect intended to whomever the 11th hopeful is.)  :cheers:
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS

Offline AmazenToys

• AmazenToys
« Reply #119 on: August 12, 2009 - 12:42:58 PM »
If you get another response for a 12th team, I'm OK with that.  But I think I wouldn't admit the 11th team until you have the 12th one lined up - admit them both at the same time.  (No disrespect intended to whomever the 11th hopeful is.)  :cheers:

I agree, the League is locked in at 10, of course, pending the Owners vote.