Author Topic: What kind of shocks  (Read 2249 times)

Offline Chlngrcrzy

What kind of shocks
« on: July 31, 2009 - 01:10:34 AM »
I am looking to put some good shocks on, nothing cheap, but nothing too expensive either. What have you all put on your cars and where is a good source for shocks?

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
Re: What kind of shocks
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009 - 02:12:18 AM »
I just bought Monroe shochs.Unless you have aftermarket suspension you probably won't notice the difference more expensive shocks make. Koni and Bilstein are very expensive. Search on here turned up this
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=52865.0

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009 - 10:33:29 AM »
I used Edelbrocks all round. They are not cheap but seem like good value. They feel really great and I believe they seem to do what Edelbrock claims they will do. Makes the car handle pretty good and so far no oversteer. Only just running the car now so early stages in the handling feedback.
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009 - 10:54:21 AM »
Any one have any experience with KYB shocks?  I think PST advertises them with their suspension kits, yes?  :clueless:  I think they weren't too expensive, I'll have to check the add but I think it was like $140 and change for a set.

If I'm correct, my friend put them on his '68 Charger and he said they made a huge difference in the way the car felt.  I know it's the springs that hold the car and what not but he said that the car cornered better.  If you gave it the "jounce/bounce" test, the car didn't give as much, felt almost like it had newer springs put on.  :2cents:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009 - 11:04:18 AM »
Firm Feel reccomends the Bilsteins, but they come at a price, I think around $475, and Firm Feel carries them. Hotchkis is running Afco's on their 70 Challenger for the adjustability. Also if you decide to go with KYB's, get the part numbers and do a google shopping search for them because I think I found them on there for $26 a piece.

I too am interested in what people's thoughts are on this subject.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline 500Stroker

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009 - 02:10:34 PM »
Ditched my KYB's long ago and switched to the Eddies.  40K miles and I still love the way the car drives and handles.  KYB's were very rough riding.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009 - 03:15:02 PM »
Monroe or Gabriel gas charged shocks are a great value for stock suspensions. The gas pressure gives them a quick recover rate and smooths out the ride comapred to a traditional oil shock. If you are stepping up the leaf springs or t-bars, your going to need mroe shock than those two  to control the motion.

I've heard lots of decent feedback on Edelbrocks and their inertia sensative valving. No personal experience with them. I beleive these are actually made by Monroe for Ebrock. However, non-compete clauses means you probably won't find a Monroe equivilent of these in the catalog.

I've heard mixed reviews on KYBs. Some find them overly harsh, some like them. It seems that most of the feedback about their harshness has come from guys with freshly rebuilt suspensions. Not sure what to read in to that. They are a high pressure shock so they generate a fair amount of resistance.

Bilsteins and Konis will transform the manners of your car and will be the last set of shocks you ever have to buy for it. Both companies offer rebuilding and revalving service. Step up the rates of your bars and you can have the shocks revalved to match.

Decent value for the money is QA1 single adjustables. Their stocker star line bolts in to the OEM locations and the adjustment knob makes tuning easy. Want a little stiffer reaction to street driving, turn em up. Making passes at the strip and want to loosen things up, turn them down.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009 - 04:43:39 PM »
Great info, HP2!  :thumbsup:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009 - 06:23:27 PM »
Monroe or Gabriel gas charged shocks are a great value for stock suspensions. The gas pressure gives them a quick recover rate and smooths out the ride comapred to a traditional oil shock. If you are stepping up the leaf springs or t-bars, your going to need mroe shock than those two  to control the motion.

I've heard lots of decent feedback on Edelbrocks and their inertia sensative valving. No personal experience with them. I beleive these are actually made by Monroe for Ebrock. However, non-compete clauses means you probably won't find a Monroe equivilent of these in the catalog.

I've heard mixed reviews on KYBs. Some find them overly harsh, some like them. It seems that most of the feedback about their harshness has come from guys with freshly rebuilt suspensions. Not sure what to read in to that. They are a high pressure shock so they generate a fair amount of resistance.

Bilsteins and Konis will transform the manners of your car and will be the last set of shocks you ever have to buy for it. Both companies offer rebuilding and revalving service. Step up the rates of your bars and you can have the shocks revalved to match.

Decent value for the money is QA1 single adjustables. Their stocker star line bolts in to the OEM locations and the adjustment knob makes tuning easy. Want a little stiffer reaction to street driving, turn em up. Making passes at the strip and want to loosen things up, turn them down.

i used the edelbrocks and love them,,firm ride and handles great
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009 - 07:39:50 PM »
Sounds like the Edelbrock are very popular. I priced some KYB's today at the local NAPA, they wanted over $60 a peice for them. They also wanted to sell me the cheaper NAPA brand for $17 a peice.  Maybe i will do a search for the Edelbrock and see what i can turn up for price. :chatting:

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009 - 07:55:59 PM »
there about $80 each
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009 - 05:55:34 AM »
Monroe or Gabriel gas charged shocks are a great value for stock suspensions. The gas pressure gives them a quick recover rate and smooths out the ride comapred to a traditional oil shock.

The gas in modern shockers is there to raise the boiling point of the fluid inside the shockers, making them more stable longer. A shocker worked hard will get very hot. A bit like a radiator pressure cap increases the boiling point of the coolant.
Dave

Offline autoxcuda

• Spring Fling
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009 - 03:23:36 PM »

Our club took a tour of Edelbrock in 1999 and they made the shocks right there. Had a machine that would weld up the cans, eyelets... Had assembly stations, a big shock dyno. Picture in the top right is from one of the shock machines. http://www.cpwclub.com/Edelbrocktour99.html
Spring Fling XXX
April 22 & 23 2016

at Woodley Park Van Nuys, CA.
Special 30th Anniversary Event!
600+ Mopars, 300+ swappers,  50+ manf. midways.
Thrus: Mopar Track Day at Willow Springs Raceway
Fri: Caravan & Cruise
Sat: Mopar Cruise-In

Offline boydsdodge

• Top end's unlimited....Aaaauuuuugghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Boydsdodge
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009 - 06:15:59 PM »
Cool tour. Great write up.
Jackson from Toronto.

Offline RB2929

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009 - 06:59:35 PM »
I'm running Edelbrock IAS on the Ram 1500 Rumble Bee as well as the B'cuda.
On Ebay, they have "original" Gabrial shocks, $31 a set of 2.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rear-shocks-shock-absorbers-70-74-Plymouth-Barracuda_W0QQitemZ110468297219QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item19b86c7203