Author Topic: Best fuel sending unit please  (Read 13680 times)

Offline pink panther

• Resident
Re: Best fuel sending unit please
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2009 - 05:00:13 PM »
no , just got lucky I guess, went for awhile without having no idea how much gas I had when the first sending unit went bad. Mine was a 5/16th if that makes any difference
Scott   -  Member since 9/18/2005

Offline alphabuck

• Pics of my project
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2009 - 06:32:17 PM »
Did you have the sending unit turned as far to the right as you could get it before you tightened the ring? I could feel mine bottoming out. Mine still reads one line too low when the tank is full, but that seems better than what some of you are dealing with.

theres only one way to install the thing.  theres a notch in the tank and corresponding tab on the sending unit.  its just a bad design.  thing woulda worked perfect if i could have just used the top half of my gas tank.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2009 - 09:03:20 PM »
I was getting excited because after about 80 miles the tank is reading about half full...assuming 10 mpg, that means 8 gallons.....

But twice on the way home from a cruise tonight the gauge dropped to 1/4 tank after some quick pullouts from lights and slowly crept back up....after about 1/2 mile or so it was back...dont know if thats a dead spot in  the sweep or if its just the way the old ones would have worked???

Nice night though.....78 degrees, crickets chirping....fresh air.   Great night for a cruise in a classic car, even if the fuel gauge isnt right! :2thumbs:

wagesofsin

« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2009 - 10:00:49 PM »
ok, my 5/16 unit is fine, but i bought this for the 440 swap.

https://www.am-autoparts.com/AM/Fuel-Sending-Unit/Dodge/Challenger/1974/AM-17060526/

if it sux, ill let you know.

Offline FJ5_440

• Wisconsin
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2009 - 10:13:44 PM »
I finally received the new fuel lines from Fine Lines on Friday, so I installed the fuel line and return line (PITA), vapor seperator, and the sending unit from Dave at Roseville.  I put in 4 gallons, and saw just under 1/4 tank on the dash.  I put 4 more gallons in, and saw a little under 1/2 a tank.  I just went and filled it up and it reads a good solid Full!  I tested it out of the tank, and it read correctly.  I plopped it in the tank with no drama and no tweaking, and it seems to work great.  I will have to get a few tankfuls on it before I can be sure, but I would not hesitate to spend a bit more for this sender.   :2cents:
** Shane **

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2009 - 07:02:32 AM »
Hmmmm....maybe I should return the one I got from them and try another.......

Such a PITA though.  :pullinghair:

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2009 - 09:26:17 PM »
Well, I let the gauge go to 1/4 tank.......mileage at "half tank" looked right so I went to 1/4.....

Lo and behold, it took 11.9 gallons!   That is 3/4 a tank!

So its accurate now....seemed to stay at fuel a long time and then drop quickly, but I remember old cars doing that....so aint gonna fret over that.

Now, the gauge DID go dead for a brief period of time the other day as it dropped just past half....didnt do it long....

Gonna go thru another 3/4 tank and see what happens this time.

I hate to just "live with" ANY dead spots, but after so many attempts, I may just do that.  I love working on the car, but not on the same thing over and over and over and over...LOL   :working:

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2009 - 07:06:59 PM »
Um, well...I just read the last line of the Roseville fuel sending unit instructions, and it says that if the gauge still reads only half when the tank is full, adjust the calibratior slot on the back of the fuel gauge. ???
Is there an adjustment slot? I dont see one in this picture.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009 - 07:11:00 PM by tommyg29 »
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2009 - 07:40:13 PM »
Um, well...I just read the last line of the Roseville fuel sending unit instructions, and it says that if the gauge still reads only half when the tank is full, adjust the calibratior slot on the back of the fuel gauge. ???
Is there an adjustment slot? I dont see one in this picture.

That's a good one.   :screwy:

No way to adjust these gauges.   

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

wagesofsin

« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2009 - 08:05:53 PM »
perhaps they meant the sender?

:thinkerg:

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2009 - 08:47:06 PM »
No, it clearly says the back of the gauge. The instructions must have been written in a generic format, and maybe that covers some other type gauge. Maybe call Roseville about it. Is his name Dave?
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

wagesofsin

« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2009 - 09:07:24 PM »
No, it clearly says the back of the gauge. The instructions must have been written in a generic format, and maybe that covers some other type gauge. Maybe call Roseville about it. Is his name Dave?

his name is in fact david,
im sure he will provide you with any and all info you will need to have the unit function perfectly.

:2thumbs:

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2009 - 09:22:53 PM »
The hole is in the back of the individual gauge which can only be accessed with the gauge OUT of the housing.

I'm not sure I'd recommend trying this at home.
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2009 - 12:19:16 AM »
The instructions also state that the factory service manual must be followed to do that adjustment.

I looked in my manual, and no mention at all is made on this mystery adjustment.  All it says is to check the ohms readings of the sender....if it is out of spec and the stops and arm are not damaged, replace the sender.

Curious --- Does Dave from Roseville ever check in here?  I had emailed him about buying the sender unit to begin with and got no reply as he was on vacation.....I did hear from another person, who sold me the unit.

wagesofsin

« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2009 - 07:32:18 AM »
The instructions also state that the factory service manual must be followed to do that adjustment.

I looked in my manual, and no mention at all is made on this mystery adjustment.  All it says is to check the ohms readings of the sender....if it is out of spec and the stops and arm are not damaged, replace the sender.

Curious --- Does Dave from Roseville ever check in here?  I had emailed him about buying the sender unit to begin with and got no reply as he was on vacation.....I did hear from another person, who sold me the unit.

daves on here all the time.