Front suspension

Author Topic: Front suspension  (Read 2860 times)

Offline UtahCuda

Front suspension
« on: August 01, 2009 - 10:32:44 PM »
My son and I are working on a 72 Cuda.  We are getting it ready for blasting.  I understand it is best to remove the K-Frame (I think that’s the right name) before having it media blasted.  I don't know much about suspensions and am struggling.  I would like to know what the two bars are and how to remove them.  I also understand that if I remove the K-Frame it will require me to cut the frame to get access to the nuts to install it.  Is that correct?

Thanks.

Offline 72bluNblu

Re: Front suspension
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009 - 10:51:40 PM »
The two large bars are torsion bars, the others (going forward at an angle) are strut rods. No cutting is required as long as the nuts in the frame stay welded in, If they're frozen up it can be a little bit of an issue.

In order to remove the K member you're going to have to remove the torsion bars. You'll have to loosen the torsion bar adjusters to remove the tension on the bars, then remove the torsion bar clips in the cross member. If you don't have any special suspension tools, getting the torsion bars out can be a little tricky. And you don't want to mess up the bars, any external damage (like from vise-grips etc) ruins the bar. An easy way to do it without tools is to remove the lower control arm nuts and strut rods and use a dead blow hammer on the lca to push the torsion bar back.

No offense, but if you can't identify the torsion bars you should at least spend some time looking in depth at a manual before you attempt this. Suspension work isn't horribly complicated, but because of spring tension, 40 year old parts, rust, etc, its not the easiest work to get done, and can be dangerous if done incorrectly (and that's just taking stuff apart, not even getting back to driving it).

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009 - 11:03:06 PM »
the k-frame just bolts on,,easy to pull and put back on,,you will see when you remove it ,just 4 bolts..the bars you talk about are torsion bars i assume,..they go thru the lower control arms on front suspension and rear part of sub frame,,on the lower control arm there is a adjuster bolt,this loads the height (suspension) of the front end,or lowers,,just take the adjuster bolt out ...and then you can remove the bars by taking out the retainer clip out on the frame side of the torsion bars ..,also when you reload torsion bar with the adjuster bolt ,,,you can take measurements when diassembly so you can put them back in the same spot or load to your prefence,,none of this is hard,,just a matter of taking it apart,,and putting it back the same.its not as hard as you think,,but that is just my opion,,but i have had an old mopar since ,,since the last one i had
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009 - 11:04:49 PM »
The two large bars are torsion bars, the others (going forward at an angle) are strut rods. No cutting is required as long as the nuts in the frame stay welded in, If they're frozen up it can be a little bit of an issue.

In order to remove the K member you're going to have to remove the torsion bars. You'll have to loosen the torsion bar adjusters to remove the tension on the bars, then remove the torsion bar clips in the cross member. If you don't have any special suspension tools, getting the torsion bars out can be a little tricky. And you don't want to mess up the bars, any external damage (like from vise-grips etc) ruins the bar. An easy way to do it without tools is to remove the lower control arm nuts and strut rods and use a dead blow hammer on the lca to push the torsion bar back.

No offense, but if you can't identify the torsion bars you should at least spend some time looking in depth at a manual before you attempt this. Suspension work isn't horribly complicated, but because of spring tension, 40 year old parts, rust, etc, its not the easiest work to get done, and can be dangerous if done incorrectly (and that's just taking stuff apart, not even getting back to driving it).
:iagree:
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009 - 11:20:40 PM »
No cutting of frame.. the nuts are welded & should stay put after removing the 4-bolts
   Remove the clips from the back side of the cross member, when you get the torsion bars loose from the lower control arms, as described above,  slide the bars back a few inches then when the K-member is gone pull them out the front (packed up grease may cause some resistance)...this way you don't have to remove the dust seal & may be able to re-use.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline UtahCuda

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009 - 10:54:32 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I got the rear of the torsion bar out of where it was seated by using a "dead blow hammer ... to push the torsion bar back"  Is there some secret to separating the torsion bar from the lower control arm?  It seems to be stuck.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks again.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009 - 12:03:05 AM »
the T bar should just slide out of the lower control arm after the tension is released , assuming you have the bar out of the rear mount just wiggle the Tbar while pulling on it , there will be nothing holding it in

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline UtahCuda

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009 - 01:35:54 PM »
The bar is out of the rear mount but I can't get the front separated from the LCA.  I think it's rusted in there but don't know for sure.  I have sprayed it with some penetrating oil and tapped on it (the LCA not TB) with a hammer but it hasn't moved.  I donLt know what else to try.  I know the manuals say "do not apply heat" but I was wondering?  I think before I heat it I try beating on it or maybe using a jack to apply pressure to force it off.  Any comments/suggestions???

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009 - 06:33:01 PM »
I would hit the LCA with a hammer both across & along the T bar to get it loose

Offline UtahCuda

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009 - 12:26:45 AM »
I would hit the LCA with a hammer both across & along the T bar to get it loose
Thanks, it worked. :woohoo: I appreciate all the help.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009 - 02:38:37 AM »
 :2thumbs: