Author Topic: installing Torsion bars.  (Read 784 times)

Offline Chlngrcrzy

installing Torsion bars.
« on: August 05, 2009 - 08:09:31 PM »
Need a little help on installing these darn torsion bars. I can't seem to get them to slide in far enough. Do i dare tap on the end? Probably not. What about loading the suspension, any particular steps that need to be taken?
I still have it on the rotisserie, with the lower A arm hanging down, and the adjusting bolt backed all the way off. :feedback:

Offline 72bluNblu

Re: installing Torsion bars.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009 - 08:22:19 PM »
You can tap on the hex end with a dead blow hammer (not steel!!!), but be sure not to mar up the outside of the bar once it tapers down. You may need to play with how far down the LCA is hanging to get it lined up just right. Did you grease the hex end of the bar and/or the socket in the LCA? If not, that'll help. Are the bars or LCA's painted or powder coated? If they are you may have to remove some of the paint in order to get the bar to slide in.

As far as loading them, once they're in far enough to get the clips in you just need to hook up the spindles and turn the adjusters. I wouldn't go crazy while it was still on the rotisserie, just tighten the adjusters until you start to feel some tension. If you didn't make note of how many turns you were in before you pulled the car apart, or you've upgraded the diameter of the bars or gotten a bigger engine you'll have to do your fine tuning once you can get it on the ground. At that point you'll have to jack up the front (so the adjusters don't strip out and unload the torsion bars while you're under the car  :eek7: ) and make adjustments to the ride height. Be sure the roll the car in between adjustments ( a drive around the block is best), bouncing up and down on the bumper is NOT enough to settle the suspension and check the ride height.

wagesofsin

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009 - 08:33:04 PM »
 :iagree:
good response   :2thumbs:

and if ya cant get around the block, about 20 feet is minimum back and forth to see whats gonna happen. those wheels can go squirrly on ya fast.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009 - 08:38:24 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys :bigsmile:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009 - 09:37:07 PM »
I usually tap them into place using a dull chisle in the slot in the bar & a heavy hammer

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009 - 10:01:56 PM »
I got them. Sanded the paint off of the hex head and greased them up. :bigsmile:

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009 - 10:31:23 PM »
I got them. Sanded the paint off of the hex head and greased them up. :bigsmile:

Yeah I got hung up on the paint too, had to do the exact same thing. Not enough clearance for both parts to be painted. Glad you got them taken care of!  :thumbsup: