Author Topic: 4 speed won't shift right  (Read 3335 times)

Offline tb3cuda

4 speed won't shift right
« on: August 06, 2009 - 12:54:22 AM »
Well today I finished getting my 4 speed in and took the car for a test run.  It runs great  in 1st but then I cannot get it into 2nd.   I put the car on jacks and looked at the linkage. The linkage looks fine and as far as I can tell everything is on correctly.   I adjusted the clutch adjustment rod twice and the pedal seems good.   I can shift the car fine while it's turned off.  I can shift into all 4 gears when the car is running on jack stands.   It's when I actually drive it that it just doesn't want to shift right.   I'm out of ideas............any help would be awesome.  Thanks.   

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: 4 speed won't shift right
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009 - 02:35:40 AM »
broken engine or tranny mount ? It could be due to torque under load when driving it that the tranny is moving around making it hard to shift . Does it shift into 3rd Ok ?
 you should have approx 1" of free play at the top of the pedal travel

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009 - 06:12:24 AM »
that the tranny is moving around making it hard to shift . Does it shift into 3rd Ok ?
 you should have approx 1" of free play at the top of the pedal travel

try shifting in all other gears,,if its just 2nd you could have tranny problems,,mine did this when i installed it,had bought it off ebay and told it was good but wasnt,,mine turned out to be the gear itself and syncs werent the greatest,,bad news is it cost me $1200 for rebulding it at a shop
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline 72 cuda

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009 - 07:25:19 AM »
probably syncs
mark

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009 - 08:11:37 AM »
Can you go into reverse with the engine running, without grinding?

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009 - 09:02:50 AM »
I have a similar problem with my a833. The 1-2 shift is very notchy and needs to be guided carefully and clicked into place. But, I have no play with the clutch. In fact, the pedal comes out so far it hits the stop and rattles against it, so I know it needs adjusting. Hopefully it will help.

When I have some free time maybe this weekend I'll get under there and give it a try. Maybe I can replace the shift boot at the same time.
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009 - 09:08:04 AM »
could be the shifter mechanism or the linkage allignment.
Scott   -  Member since 9/18/2005

426HemiCharger

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009 - 10:20:56 AM »
I think you need to replace second gear cause if it's too worn out it might not be able to take a load from the engine. :dunno:  :2cents:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009 - 12:34:05 PM »
well if it shifts in ok on stands I doubt it has a sencond gear problem , also if it shifted in on the street & was popping back out it might be a second gear problem but if it is locking you out of second gear with the weight on it & it works ok on stands I doubt it is an internal problem

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009 - 07:56:48 PM »
Check your transmission mount bushing.  I was having a bear of a time shifting into 2nd, and it turned out the bushing had sunk so much that the rod was hitting the floor pan and getting stuck.

Offline tb3cuda

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009 - 08:59:19 PM »
Wow thanks for all the advice guys.......let me give some more info to narrow things down.   Car has new engine mounts,  new trans mount bushing,  trans just rebuilt.  As far as do I have reverse.......my stupid x-pipe is in the way so I haven't installed the reverse lever yet.   Last night it wouldn't go into 2nd again so I tried to put it into 3rd and 4th and was successfull but it was a bear to get it out of 2nd where it got stuck. I don't know how to really explain it,  it gets stuck when I try to put it into 2nd  but isn't really in 2nd gear...not sure if that makes sense.  So basically 1st, 3rd and 4th seem to be fine.   Does anyone have a pic of their linkage hooked to the shifter mechanism from underneath the car in case that is messed up?   Thanks

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009 - 09:42:13 PM »
My trans bushing was brand new, also.  It was one of the standard rubber bushings, and it compressed as soon as it was put in.  Your symptoms are exactly the same as what I was having.

Offline LAA66

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009 - 11:35:48 PM »
 This is the best picture I have available right now. :-\

If not the linkage, possibly the trans is out of alignment with the bell housing/ crankshaft bushing?

Offline tb3cuda

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009 - 12:04:06 AM »
Thanks LAA66.   It looks like I have the linkage right.    So I just put it on stands again and started the car.   While running I tried to shift from 1st to 2nd and nothing but grinding.   It does go into 3rd and 4th fine,  so it's not the clutch right?   I can't adjust my clutch any more.   

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009 - 08:19:44 AM »
Sounds like the 1-2 slider/syncro was assembled incorrectly when the trans was rebuilt.

On the reveverse rod, I had the same clearance problem with an x-pipe.  E-body reverse rods hang down way below the crossmember.  I cut about .75" out of mine and welded it back together. 

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires