Author Topic: 4 speed won't shift right  (Read 3331 times)

Offline tb3cuda

Re: 4 speed won't shift right
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009 - 08:58:14 PM »
Not sure what the 1-2 slider looks like but is it possible to install it backwards? 

sleepychallenger

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2009 - 09:07:20 PM »
you know, i had the same issue, and mine was just adjusting the linkage. just because that hole lines up doesnt mean that it is good to go...

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2009 - 09:23:23 PM »
Not sure what the 1-2 slider looks like but is it possible to install it backwards?

Can't really install it backwards (reverse gear is on it) but it has 3 struts that sometimes fall out or get jammed in during assembly.  You could try shifting it in and out of 2nd under the car with the shifter disconected to see if it feels ok.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline LAA66

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2009 - 11:31:11 PM »
 Just a thought, maybe try setting a solid jack under the bellhousing. Then on the trans a light lift to take the weight . Loosen the trans bolts (to the bellhousing) just enough to where it moves. See how much play there is by looking at the printon the back bell housing. The idea is to see if your bellhousing tightly indexed to the transmission .

Offline tb3cuda

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2009 - 11:33:00 PM »
Changin gears I think we're getting somewhere.   I disconnected the 1/2 rod at the trans.  I moved the linkage lever for 1-2 and it seemed ok.  I hooked the rod back up.......started the car on the stands and attempted to shift it.   It jammed in 2nd again.  I then disconnected the rod and tried to move the 1-2 lever and it was definately stuck in position.      What should I do next......do I need to drop the tranny or can I pull the cover off? 

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2009 - 12:58:14 AM »
It's not sounding good, I think I would go ahead and pull the trans out.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2009 - 04:53:45 AM »
 :iagree:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline cwestra

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2009 - 12:43:10 PM »
Did you ever get your reverse linkage hooked up?  Here is how all linkages should look when you are in second gear.
Corey - in Northern Indiana

Offline tb3cuda

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2009 - 05:41:54 PM »
Thanks cwestra I just checked and it looks the same.  The reverse lever isn't on yet.  Well I just ran the car and got it to go as far as it would into 2nd where it made a grinding noise.  Then shut the car off and disconnect the 1-2rod.  The shift lever wouldn't go any farther into 2nd so it must be in the trans and not the linkage.  Man this is a HUGE Bummer...............  :banghead: