Author Topic: If i'm going to upgrade the brakes. which spindles should I get? Later A, or FJM  (Read 3865 times)

Offline 72bluNblu

Its not a side to side problem, I installed them myself and checked at least a dozen times  ;).  Although now I'll probably have to crawl under and check again to put my mind at ease ::).

No, its just that a 1.12" bar has a 270# spring rate, vs. the stock .88 bars that had a 100# rate. And with a small block with an aluminum manifold, tubular UCA's and LCA's, aluminum strut rods etc my car's already around 50lb's lighter in the nose. The oval track cars that ran 1.25" bars back in the day used to have to cut out the torsion bar anchors and re-index them to get the ride height right.

Offline cudazappa

If you get Dr-Diff's Bearing spacer for the larger bearings and rotors, Make sure that you get the Grease Seal that you will need from him.  He has plenty of the correct ones. A standard one will not work anymore.  I was checking out those spacers at the Nationals after the 70-72 rotors went up over $130.

yep, you get the grease seal with them.  I got my set on Monday!
1971 Challenger - AutoX project
2015 Dart GT - Daily Driver

Offline shadango

• Resident
Any Volare ,Aspen ,5th Ave ,diplomat spindle will work but the caliper adapter is Magnum ,Charger , Cordoba
 I actuall have a set of the adapters for $100 if you need them

Hey Chryco, are these the adaptors for a 72?

I have a 72 with 10" front drums and thinking about going to non-power assisted front disks....

Offline cudazappa

Hey Chryco, are these the adaptors for a 72?

I have a 72 with 10" front drums and thinking about going to non-power assisted front disks....

you'll still need the spindles from a disc brake car to run the caliper adapters.
1971 Challenger - AutoX project
2015 Dart GT - Daily Driver

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
 :iagree:
 these adapters will bolt onto any disc brake spindle that fits the E body wether it came off an FMJ or A body

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline shadango

• Resident
I guess I am a little confused (no surprise)

I thought "adaptors" would be needed to use drum spindles with disk brakes?  I thought i was reading that soemwhere?

Why would I need "adaptors" to put disks on if I am going to use the spindles from a disk brake car.....wouldnt I just use the brackets and calipers from that car if I am already using disk-ready spindles??? :clueless: :dunno:

Offline HP2

• Resident
Adapters is another word for brackets in this case.

There are two types of spindles; drum or disc. There are three types of disc spindles; small bearing-short height, big bearing-short height, and big bearing-tall height. The small bearing-short height spindles are most disc brakes prior to 73. The big bearing-short height spindles are the ones called out in the mopar action article that most guys are after, which are found on 73-76 A and E body cars. The big bearing tall spindle was used on 73-80 B bodies. This same spindle was also found on all FJM body cars from 76-83. It will bolt up to any earlier car and in most cases will function just fine in most cases, but does slightly alter geometry. The geometry changes that result are so slight that you will probably never notice the difference.

If you want to keep your drum spindles, which are small bearing units btw, you can either buy a Wilwood kit that has the drum spindle brackets, bearings, hat, rotorss and calipers. These cost around $800-1000 depending on options. Other choice is you pick up the viper caliper adapter brackets for drum spindles, then use the bearing adapter for large bearing rotors, and viper calipers. This set up would run around $800-1000 depending on source of parts.

Offline shadango

• Resident
Great explanation!   :2thumbs:  Thanks!

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009 - 09:36:12 AM by shadango »