Author Topic: Suspension Questions  (Read 941 times)

Offline txchallenger

Suspension Questions
« on: August 08, 2009 - 03:06:43 PM »
I'm still a pretty good way from completing the Chally but I'm redoing all the suspension and brakes right now and have a couple of questions.

Front

So far I have replaced all bushings, tie rod ends(inner and outer) new sleeves,new idler arm, new cap tubular upper control arms, new .960 torsion bars (Mancini), Lower control Arm reinforcing plates, New Monroe cheap gas shocks that came with the car when I bought it.
Still need.... Firmfeel stage 2 or 3 steering box (power steering), Firmfeel sway bar , SSBC disc brake conversion

Rear
323 SG, new green axle bearings, complete rebuild of 10" drum brakes, XHD leaf springs

I will be running 225/60/15 BFG on front and 245/60/15 on rear

engine will be a fairly mild 440......was a stock 318 car

Question....... will the balance on this setup be ok or do I need anything else ie. rear sway bar. Not looking for it to drive like a modern car but want it to drive good for occasional use.

Offline autoxcuda

• Spring Fling
Re: Suspension Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009 - 06:19:03 PM »
I'm still a pretty good way from completing the Chally but I'm redoing all the suspension and brakes right now and have a couple of questions.

Front

So far I have replaced all bushings, tie rod ends(inner and outer) new sleeves,new idler arm, new cap tubular upper control arms, new .960 torsion bars (Mancini), Lower control Arm reinforcing plates, New Monroe cheap gas shocks that came with the car when I bought it.
Still need.... Firmfeel stage 2 or 3 steering box (power steering), Firmfeel sway bar , SSBC disc brake conversion

Rear
323 SG, new green axle bearings, complete rebuild of 10" drum brakes, XHD leaf springs

I will be running 225/60/15 BFG on front and 245/60/15 on rear

engine will be a fairly mild 440......was a stock 318 car

Question....... will the balance on this setup be ok or do I need anything else ie. rear sway bar. Not looking for it to drive like a modern car but want it to drive good for occasional use.

Run a Firm Feel rear bar or a Hellwig or Hotchkis adjustable.

Firm Feel stage 3 box.

I would not have bothered with the tubular upper arm for a mild street build.

What front rims do you have/plan on? You could run 235/60/15 on 15x7 rallyes w/4.25 bksp or 245/60/15 with 15x8 rallyes with 4.5 backspacing up front also. Must have that much backspacing to run those wider tires
Spring Fling XXX
April 22 & 23 2016

at Woodley Park Van Nuys, CA.
Special 30th Anniversary Event!
600+ Mopars, 300+ swappers,  50+ manf. midways.
Thrus: Mopar Track Day at Willow Springs Raceway
Fri: Caravan & Cruise
Sat: Mopar Cruise-In

Offline txchallenger

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009 - 06:50:05 PM »
Wheels and tires came with car, they were brand new.
American racing Torque-Thrust II 15/7 I think they have a 3.75- 4" backspace.
They were on the car when I purchased it but have never been run.

Thanks for the suggestions autoxcuda on the rear swaybar. I didn't know if I needed one with the xhd leafs.

Offline autoxcuda

• Spring Fling
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009 - 07:00:24 PM »
Wheels and tires came with car, they were brand new.
American racing Torque-Thrust II 15/7 I think they have a 3.75- 4" backspace.
They were on the car when I purchased it but have never been run.

Thanks for the suggestions autoxcuda on the rear swaybar. I didn't know if I needed one with the xhd leafs.

I think those TTII rims are 4"  backspace. That might limit you to 225/60/15's.
Spring Fling XXX
April 22 & 23 2016

at Woodley Park Van Nuys, CA.
Special 30th Anniversary Event!
600+ Mopars, 300+ swappers,  50+ manf. midways.
Thrus: Mopar Track Day at Willow Springs Raceway
Fri: Caravan & Cruise
Sat: Mopar Cruise-In