Author Topic: 4 speed adjustment problem  (Read 869 times)

Offline barryv

4 speed adjustment problem
« on: August 08, 2009 - 09:08:27 PM »
hi,im new to 4 speeds,so bare with me. i installed 4 speed in my 72 cuda using a diaphram clutch. i think my clutch adjustment rod  is not set right because when back wheels are off ground and shifter is  in what appears to be in neutral ,the rear tires spin ,but not  as powerful if car was shifted in 1st gear does this seem to be a clutch fork adjustment or are my shifter rods not set right.thanks for the help

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: 4 speed adjustment problem
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009 - 09:09:18 PM »
sounds normal to me

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline barryv

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009 - 09:32:19 PM »
thanks for reply.shouldnt the rear wheels not move when my rear is on jack stands and car is idleing in neutral,thanks again

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009 - 09:39:08 PM »
thanks for reply.shouldnt the rear wheels not move when my rear is on jack stands and car is idleing in neutral,thanks again

There is nothing to keep them from moving other than the friction of the rear brakes and ring and pinion.  With the clutch engaged, there are 3 gears all spinning on the main shaft in the trans.  This friction is what is driving the drive shaft.  When he vehicle is on the ground its not enough to move it though.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline barryv

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009 - 09:43:47 PM »
maybe ,im misunderstanding your reply. i thought last week when i had the rear of my car off the ground and in neutral and running,the rear wheels werent spinning.now when car is in idle with rear tires off the ground and in neutral they are spinning.is this normal.thanks again

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009 - 07:35:12 AM »
It really doesnt't matter if they are spinning or not.  The friction of the rear brakes and ring/pinion might be enough to over come the internal drag of the trans or not.  Could have to do with the temp of the gear oil in either. 

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires