Author Topic: speaking of scams...  (Read 769 times)

Offline Jim68Cuda

• Why oncha burn sum rub op dem tars
    • Mopar Picturebook
speaking of scams...
« on: July 30, 2004 - 10:34:17 PM »
Since the subject of scams has come up....

Most of you are probably aware of the following scam, but it popped up on the Charger Message Board and an advertizer in the Walter P Chrysler club's newsletter fell for it, so I thought i would pass this along to anyone who hadn't heard about this one.

This scam usually involves an overseas buyer of a vehicle or part that you may have advertized. They pay with a cashiers check which includes an additional amount for shipping. They ask you to send the extra funds to their shipper by Western Union once the cashiers check clears.
In the case of the WPC Club member, the bank teller at his bank assured him that the cashiers check, drawn on a bank in Kansas in this case,  was as good as cash. Later the bank found out that the cashiers check was a counterfeit and debited his account. By that time he had already sent money by Western Union to the "shipper" in London.

In another case, it took a month before the bank found out a cashiers check was counterfeit. So it was a month after the deposit that the bank debited the victim's account.

just a reminder to be careful whether you are buying or selling. 
Jim
68 Charger RT
68 Barracuda Formula S fastback
68 Barracuda convertible
68 Barracuda fastback
67 Coronet 500 convertible
67 Coronet 500 hardtop

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
Re: speaking of scams...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004 - 06:18:31 AM »
I`m selling a `63 dodge and have gotten 3 replys to my postings,all scams.Luckily I heard about it a couple years ago so I just sent them a "nice" reply.  ;)
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline CHARGER_FAN

• Undercover Charger
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004 - 04:16:03 PM »
Buncha dirty rotten dirtbags! It sure would be nice to scam the scammers one time.

'70 Charger 500

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004 - 04:30:27 PM »
Buncha dirty rotten dirtbags! It sure would be nice to scam the scammers one time.

I'd rather catch the ba$tards so they can pay for all their scamming.  What do you think the punishment should be??  Ban them from computer use and cut off their fingers???   ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)

Offline rnsykes

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004 - 11:24:14 AM »
I'd rather just cut off their fingers, and then be able to watch them try to use the computer....