Author Topic: front shock nut  (Read 1056 times)

Offline 30below

front shock nut
« on: August 12, 2009 - 08:53:17 AM »
Installed new Napa gasmatic shocks in the Cuda.I also installed the OEM style rubber bushing .The problem is the top nut bottoms before the shock is tight.Ive used just one top washer and tried adding the second washer on top of the shock to no avail.Should i also ose the bushings that came with the shock?The service manual only shows one washer on top.Its a 73 Cuda. :clueless: :clueless:

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: front shock nut
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009 - 09:47:34 AM »
How are you determining "tight" ?  The bushing will continue to compress as long as you tighten.
Spec. for the upper shock nut is 25 FT.LBS.     Just snug.   
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline 30below

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009 - 09:54:16 AM »
The nut bottoms on the shock stud before theres any actual tightening

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009 - 10:29:55 AM »
I tried to save my OE bushings but they were in pretty poor condition so I used the two rubber grommets supplied with the shocks, one under & one over the shock mount.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline 30below

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009 - 08:05:29 PM »
Maybe ill add one of them under and see what happens

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009 - 02:11:45 AM »
I would use the bushings and washers that came with the shocks. I had some monroe replacement shocks and they had 4 washers and 2 bushings for the upper mount on each shock installed in this fashion:
Shock stud > Thick washer cup "up" >bushing> thin washer (with index hole to locate in shock mount opening) cup "down > body > thin washer cup side "up" > bushing > thick washer cup side "down" > nut > lock nut
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009 - 04:47:40 PM »
How are you determining "tight" ?  The bushing will continue to compress as long as you tighten.
Spec. for the upper shock nut is 25 FT.LBS.     Just snug.   

I removed the stock bushing and used the two peice ones that came with the shock.  Seemed to work ok, but I have not driven the car since I replaced them.

Hmm, I wonder if I tightend mine too far. Cranked them right down and compressed the bushing quite a bit.

I guess I should break out my torque wrench and redo it to make sure.

Jas
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!