Author Topic: visited the tranny shop for the followup....  (Read 31746 times)

Offline Ck[FIN]

• Get real - Get Mopar
    • Small car club from Finland
Re: visited the tranny shop for the followup....
« Reply #270 on: November 17, 2009 - 10:56:31 AM »
Hey you did better than I thought.

Good thing you left that first shop.

Up here in Michigan we have another fine weekend of weather coming up, enjoy. Too bad gas prices aren't coming down like they used to in the Fall.

Little bit offtopic but what is your current gas price there?
Here in Finland its about 7.5usd/gallon  :roflsmiley:
Get real - Get Mopar

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #271 on: November 17, 2009 - 11:07:14 AM »
Ouch!  We're right around $2.30 - $2.40 in the Dallas, TX area.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #272 on: November 17, 2009 - 11:09:50 AM »
$2.69 for 87 octane.....$3.09 I think itwas for 92 octane....

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #273 on: November 17, 2009 - 03:02:33 PM »
I don't see why you guys overseas are even in this hobby with gasoline prices so high. I can burn through $50 of gasoline easy over a weekend. If your prices are 3 times as much--heck there is other things that are fun for $150, lol.

Then there is oil, parts...sometimes I wounder if its worth it.

Hot rods used to be cheap, "normal" cars used to get just a bit better MPG, now its high prices and "normal cars" get 25 MPG+ where as my ride gets 10 MPG.

Not sure but think if I was married I would sell all my hot rod stuff and relax more.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009 - 03:06:49 PM by dodge freak 2 »

Offline Ck[FIN]

• Get real - Get Mopar
    • Small car club from Finland
« Reply #274 on: November 17, 2009 - 03:16:36 PM »
I don't see why you guys overseas are even in this hobby with gasoline prices so high. I can burn through $50 of gasoline easy over a weekend. If your prices are 3 times as much--heck there is other things that are fun for $150, lol.

Hot rods used to be cheap, "normal" cars used to get just a bit better MPG, now its high prices and "normal cars" get 25 MPG+ where as my ride gets 10 MPG.

Not sure but think if I was married I would sell all my hot rod stuff and relax more.
:iagree:

I was in texas couple years ago ago and me and my friends drove 3000miles in 6days. We felt like the gas price was nothing, really.

This hobby is not cheap, but which hobby is? I drive with my car only in summertime about 5months and drive 1000-2000miles with it. It doesnt cost so much to drive only 1000-2000miles per year. There is also other costs of course (insurance,car taxes etc)
BUT when you HEAR the sound of old style v8 after cold and dark winter and start to smile. Its really worth it.

Gas prices had been expensive always so people are used to it. Diesel is about 30% cheaper.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009 - 03:18:17 PM by Ck[FIN] »
Get real - Get Mopar

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #275 on: November 18, 2009 - 01:29:11 PM »

You must not really be a Dodge Freak....  :grinno:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #276 on: November 18, 2009 - 01:52:11 PM »
I`d sell the wife ....  :woo:
*** Bart ***

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #277 on: November 18, 2009 - 03:22:29 PM »
Yeah well my oil pan is dripping oil bad--garage is a mess, winter is coming and I'm looking forward to a weekend of crawling under it and repairing the leak. If I want a new oil pan-which be a good idea, $125 but then might as well spend $235 and get the deep pan. All together with a new hv oil pump, pick up, summit 10% discount code (2TRKUW) its $350.

Besides I been hot rodding around for 25 years now, its getting old. True my ride can stay with most new stock sport cars on the road and just today with leaky pan I'm out for an hour pushing and shoving my way around, lol. Live in a great area, muti lane roads, little to like no traffic enforcement (people do behave expect for speed) wasn't for that I might have thrown in the towel by now. But I can't get away from the $50 to $100 in gas every week and repair costs.

Heck if I kept track of all the $ I spent this summer I likely could run off to Toronto for a good week--massage parlors-strip bars, "coffee" houses, Toronto has it all.

Got my brother a nice looking, smooth running-no leaks at all 1998 Buick Century for $2,900. Put a couple hundred in it for new wires and plugs, fan belt, wipers, filters. Hes getting well over 20 mpg (yeah its slow but can still go a steady 80 mph on the freeway--after like forever getting up to speed, lol)

Heck that thing would make it to Toronto--and pass through customs unlike my ride which could easily be impounded by the police for safety / emissions and even if it made it there it be a ***** to park in those tight garages plus would eat 3 times as much gas.

Maybe I need a little Dart car but then I wiped out before--I might do it again. His dumb ass car can kick my ride butt in the rain going around a corner pulling out in to traffic--I done it, just floor it and it goes even in the rain.

Its a fun hobby but is it worth the costs, the work, the mess, the harder to park--drive depending on the weather--the BS from some shops. I'm starting to wounder that is all. 

Offline mojavered

• Someday!
« Reply #278 on: November 18, 2009 - 09:01:51 PM »
You have to remember, to each his own!  Most of the people I know that have hot rods have them for fun and a way to get away.  We also all call them "Money Pits!"  There is no comparison to modern technology and that is why most of us are proud to own that Good Ol American Muscle!  They are a blast to drive and everything is going to have a problem eventually.  What is going to happen when that 98 Buick has some kind of electrical problem?  or some other problem.  It will be way out of the ballpark to repair compared to steel muscle.  Compare that to the 350 you are talking about when you have a pan problem.  It is an opinion, but many have them as a hobby.  I know people that spend more on golf in a year than I do on my car.  Everyone is different.  Enjoy it or sell it, just don't crush it!
Jason

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #279 on: November 19, 2009 - 05:17:14 AM »
Ditto what Mojavered said....

Before the car my main hobby was street motorcycling....and before that ATVs......before that, my 92 Dakota was my baby and where I sunk money.

I still have all of these toys but for the most part the car has been seeing the most attention for the last year....though I still ride the bik every day to and from work (that in itself is actually a money saver :thumbsup: )...for me the car is a toy...a hobby, a getaway.

I keep a log of parts I buy and what I pay for them....not so much to keep track of the money, more to be able to see later what I put into it....

From a practicality standpoint, these cars are NOT practical to have, really.  But who has a hobby that is 100% practical?

SOme people drink heavily...some smoke......some chase broads......some do all that....THOSE are pricey "hobbies" too.  Others golf, or collect professional sports stuff or go to EVERY game that their favorite team plays.....THATS pricey too.

It all boils down to "whatever makes your boat float"....cost be damned, within reason.

Enjoy life whenever you can.....its not supposed to be all work.  If you can afford to have a toy, have it...if not, find something else that makes you smile. 

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #280 on: November 20, 2009 - 10:36:13 AM »
My problem is having a muscle car and an addiction to golf...

Oh well, it beats sitting in front of the TV.
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.