Author Topic: Removing neutral saftey switch  (Read 666 times)

Offline Canadian Cuda

Removing neutral saftey switch
« on: August 13, 2009 - 06:17:29 PM »
so i've been working on all my electrical and the only thing i don't have working is the backup lights. all grounds are good so i checked the neutral saftey switch. sure enough the wasn't continuity between the outside posts. now i have a new one but i can't get the old one off. spent a couple hours last night fighting with the damn thing and moving stuff out of the way but it still wont budge. :bricks1: the tranny is still in the car and i don't want to remove it. any ideas on getting it out?

thanks
Geoff
70 Cuda 440-4, auto, 8 3/4 sure-grip

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
Re: Removing neutral saftey switch
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009 - 07:43:17 PM »
What type of tools are you using to attempt the removal?? I just changed mine and it was also in tight. I think I used a cut off box end wrench. I think that would be your best bet and provide the most stable and even torque without slippage or rounding the flats. More so than an open end wrench or ford wrench, E-110, pipe wrench ect.

Matt B.
Matt

Offline Canadian Cuda

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009 - 08:39:34 PM »
i got it off! it took a long 1" socket and an extension which i ground down the sides so i could get a crescent wrench on it. but after all the hassle it didnt fix the backup lights. :faint: i'll make a post in the  electrical section for that.
Geoff
70 Cuda 440-4, auto, 8 3/4 sure-grip

wagesofsin

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009 - 09:41:29 PM »
i got it off! it took a long 1" socket and an extension which i ground down the sides so i could get a crescent wrench on it. but after all the hassle it didnt fix the backup lights. :faint: i'll make a post in the  electrical section for that.

:woohoo:

glad to hear you won.   :2thumbs:

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009 - 09:52:44 PM »

:woohoo:

glad to hear you won.   :2thumbs:

:cooldancing:  Glad you won the battle as well.   :2thumbs:
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009 - 10:06:30 PM »
Sounds like you won the battle but the wars not over yet! Electric stuff is a pain in the butt, good luck,Rich,