Author Topic: Thoughts! All OPINIONS welcome!  (Read 2565 times)

moparniac

Re: Thoughts! All OPINIONS welcome!
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009 - 01:45:11 PM »
I agree other cuts should be made elsewhere but please keep to topic at hand if possible... thx  :2thumbs:

Why should they get a free ride? becuase its free the just keep on riding!  :2cents:

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009 - 03:13:40 PM »
Drug testing is allright with me. In my experience anyone that got laid off from that had it coming anyway.

Some exceptions though include people on ADHD meds for example.  Jeremy Mayfield got a raw deal!!

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009 - 05:22:41 PM »
In some fields they do breath tests. I work in the oilfield and am also a DOT driver, meaning I drive trucks for our job. All of our equipment is on tractor trailer rigs. We drive our own equipment to location. Anytime we have a drug test we have to take a breathalizer as well.
Kevin

73 Challenger Rallye - first project

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009 - 05:27:06 PM »
OK, I guess I'll have to change my tune on the "waste of money" thing. If the safety of others is involved, epecially if life or limb could be lost, it does make sense.
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline 4drbrnko

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009 - 06:31:56 PM »
So how many addicts are on welfare?  Are percentages that high?  I don't think it would make things better.  It would kick a bunch addicts loose, which could lead to an increase in crime. 
But what jobs are welfare recipients supposed to go get?  Steelworker?  Autoworker?  Textiles?  Those jobs are gone because we love new things but expect these things to be cheap.
Why not cut the defense and space budgets and use that money to keep companies in the US and bring others back from overseas? 
IDK, I believe there are more wasteful programs out there that could save us a buck.

Then we could shoot them.  :bigsmile:   
Win/Win
<-------<<<  Clickylinks..... My vehicles

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009 - 06:48:02 PM »
The interlock thing that MADD wants is crazy. They are so fallable its not even funny. A guy pays a kid to blow in it so he can go to work. If you use mouthwash it sets it off like you are drunk. If you live a clean life then you should not have to pay for all the ones who dont.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009 - 07:10:22 PM »
Would increase safety & productivity more if cell phones were eliminated from the work place IMO..
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline priderocks

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009 - 11:17:27 PM »
If you notice, the only people who get drug tested regularly are those in jobs without power or status. Watch what would happen to the ranks of professional athletes if there were serious drug testing. Half the teams would be disbanded. Heck, out here in California, they riot when the Lakers WIN. Imagine what they'd do if half the team got fired for drug use!

Or doctors. Drug abuse is rampant among physicians. Yet society has a vested interest in pampering them.

Do you think for a minute police officers unions would let them drug test officers on a regular basis, or more importantly, ever do anything about it if one were caught?

But let's continue to drug test grocery store employees and assembly line workers so we can pretend we are serious about the war on drugs.

Offline e-tek

• My website: http://edanneberg.googlepages.com/home
    • E-Tek Resto's
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2009 - 11:57:11 PM »
As a Canuck, drug-testing in the work-place is totally foreign and (mixed up) to me. Up here the only people tested are criminals. People at work should not be treated like criminals. Y'all freak over government-run healthcare, but it's OK when your boss mandates drug testing....I don't get it - sorry. But to stay totally on topic, test welfare recipients for sure - but once you get a job, do what you want with it!!

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2009 - 12:25:12 AM »
I think ANYBODY working for the federal or state government or that's on the public dole should be tested, including Senators, Governors, Majors, POLICE and anyone working under them. They are paid by tax money and I'd rather not subsidise a crackhead that ends up on film in a hotel room with a hooker or anyone that's too drugged out to even read the bills they try to force down our throats. Don't care to buy alcohol or drugs for anyone living on tax money either. The private sector is another story. There it depends on the person signing the checks and how much liability they choose to expose themselves too. Having seen quite a few out of control people at past jobs either injure themselves or put others at risk I think it's a good thing. If ya don't wanna piss in the jar than find another job.  :2thumbs:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline AARCUDADEN

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2009 - 12:46:39 AM »
This is a very interesting post and all are good responses. But yes i think it should be mandatory for those reciveing welfare benefits to be drug tested. In fact i never thought of it before until i saw this post. There has been a problem for many years with the system and that is it makes people lazy and most importantly gives them the attitude of why should i go to work because me and my family are taken care of and and we have a roof over our heads. Another thing to it sets a bad example for kids as well because they grow up seeing how easy it is and many follow in the same footsteps as thier parents did i know i have seen it and personally i think that is one of the reasons why its gotten so far out of control. If they want to live by the system they should have to EARN the system as well My  :wow: :2cents:
Dennis,Ohio

moparniac

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2009 - 07:04:18 AM »
Yes good discussion here........ this is better than talking about cars all the time  :2cents: Sarah Palin is still sexy but I think she should be tested also!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009 - 07:05:50 AM by StRoKer »