Author Topic: Thoughts! All OPINIONS welcome!  (Read 2568 times)

moparniac

Thoughts! All OPINIONS welcome!
« on: August 16, 2009 - 09:06:48 PM »
How many of you get drug tested at work? For the people who do work and earn money for supporting our country! Now what about the people who suck off the system that collect welfare etc..... Since we get drug tested for working shouldn't they get drug tested for collecting a "check" also since we get drug tested to support them? And if they fail shouldnt their benefits be revoked like we would lose our jobs!

Offline sprecks

Re: Thoughts! All OPINIONS welcome!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009 - 09:12:32 PM »
I'm completely with you on this one Jason. What's good for the tax payer should be good for the recipient of the money.
you can call me Jay
I've seen sicker dogs get well.

1971 Challenger Vert - 472 Hemi EFI
1969 Road Runner 440/Auto
2017 Ram Laramie 1500 - Hemi

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009 - 09:27:16 PM »
 :iagree:

Even though I don't use 'em, I think drug testing at work is a waste of company funds.
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009 - 09:30:38 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiocracy

Best movie you'll ever watch.

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009 - 09:37:21 PM »
Idiocracy is awesome. I swear my wife's brother is just like the guy at the beginning. As far as drug testing, yes, i think they make it for welfare people.
Kevin

73 Challenger Rallye - first project

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009 - 09:46:19 PM »
I have a drug test regularly for my job. I even carry drug test kits with me.  My job is very dangerous at times, and a mistake can cost millions of bucks in one wrong move.  I just can't say....OOPS  MY  BAD  and get away with it. Wish I could.  When ever there is an incodent or recordable, the first thing that happens in most every plant around the country is rule out drug use first.  Got my finger broke again on my hand that got crushed a couple of weeks ago. Seems the other guy was out late the night before and couldnt pass, I am in pain right now. But I got 30 days off so I can rest :smilielol:  I set the bone myself, So now,-what can I do while I rest :roflsmiley:

Offline AprilsPink72Cuda

• Global Moderator
  • Resident
  • 1972 'Cuda 340/Wappingers Falls, NY
    • Klondike's Website (Check it out!)
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009 - 09:56:55 PM »
I agree that people on welfare should be tested.  Also, I agree drug testing is needed in certian trades.  In some fields one drug related slip up can wind up being the cause of death to a co-worker.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009 - 11:01:07 PM »
I not only agree with the fact that drug testing should be a part of welfare, they should have to do SOMETHING for the money. I mean, doesnt that kind of foster the lazy attitude when we keep shoving money at someone who has no intention of working? People who need it temporarily are now who I am talking about either. I am talking about the people Jason is, the ones who sponge off the rest of us. I dont care if they lick envelopes, make them justify the money somehow. I also get drug tested and yes it is a huge expense but like Al, I work in an industrial setting where a small mistake can cost a life very quickly. A Canadian truck driver was delivering big rolls of belting to our mine, he was getting his rigging off one side while a forklift operator was picking up a roll on the other side, the forklift operator bumped a roll of belting on the other side and it fell on the guy and cut him in half. Just like that a man was dead. It was just before Christmas, I always felt so sad for his young family waiting for their daddy to come home for the Holidays.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009 - 09:14:34 AM »
Then we need alcohol testing as well-how many hung over or still somewhat drunk from the night before co-workers do you have?I can name quite a few and they are far more dangerous and likey to screw up by not having there wits about them than the guy that smoked a joint over the weekend IMO.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009 - 10:12:12 AM »
What a great idea. If done, it would probably save the goverment enough to start a new health care program. Really though, I thinks it's the right thing to do. There is so much rampant welfare fraud it's not even funny and I hate to think that my hard earned money is being spent to support somebodies crack or meth addiction. The panhandling has gotten so bad in my area, the localaties have banned peddaling (even from churches) in  stereet traffic medians. They would come right up to your window (at the stop light) and stick their head in to ask for a donation. I've always had a hard time when I see a healthy man standing on a corner with a sign asking for money or even food when I have a lady at my work place that is wheelchair bound, can't even use her hands and works the computer keyboard with a rubber mouthpiece. She works and some guy that can won't.  :villagers:

Matt B.
Matt

sleepychallenger

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009 - 10:50:18 AM »
 :iagree:

Drug testing should be used as a base welfare prerequisite. Maybe get them to turn in a sheet signed by interviewers or community service supervisor?

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009 - 11:47:28 AM »
I've always had a hard time when I see a healthy man standing on a corner with a sign asking for money or even food when I have a lady at my work place that is wheelchair bound, can't even use her hands and works the computer keyboard with a rubber mouthpiece. She works and some guy that can won't.  :villagers:

Matt B.

That lady probably got the job because she is disabled, and for all you know, she took that mans job. The disabled and minorities always get preferential treatment. Not saying whether it's right or wrong. Just how society works nowadays.

Having said that, I agree that drug testing should be required for anyone taking taxpayer money. But consider the consequences if that happened. Although the thread of drug testing might scare some, there would be millions of people that would lose their benefits, which means that if they cant get jobs, and cant get government money, they would resort to illegal activities in order to survive. Crime would skyrocket.

And a note about alcohol. MADD is pushing to have Interlock type devices put into EVERY car made, so that EVERYONE has to blow into a Breathalyzer to operate their car. Again, I dont know if that is a good thing or not. It would be a major pain for people like my wife and I who dont drink at all, but it could have many benefits. Just this weekend, one of my sons friends (23 years old, and always at our house when he was a kid)) was killed at a party. He got drunk, went outside, and passed out in the driveway. A girl, who had been drinking at another party, drove up to the house and ran him over while he lay there passed out. She said she never saw him. A very tragic situation that could have been avoided if she had not been able to operate her vehicle.

Offline thesado

• 1972 Barracuda 318 GY4
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009 - 12:15:47 PM »
Just want to point out that drug testing costs a lot of money.  That would increase the overall cost of the programs. 

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009 - 12:23:31 PM »
Just want to point out that drug testing costs a lot of money.  That would increase the overall cost of the programs. 

I think it'd be offset some by the ones that would get weeded out.  Maybe a cheaper way to start is that anyone with a drug conviction (felony or misdemeanor) is disqualified from welfare.
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline BP23G0B

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009 - 01:10:35 PM »
So how many addicts are on welfare?  Are percentages that high?  I don't think it would make things better.  It would kick a bunch addicts loose, which could lead to an increase in crime. 
But what jobs are welfare recipients supposed to go get?  Steelworker?  Autoworker?  Textiles?  Those jobs are gone because we love new things but expect these things to be cheap.
Why not cut the defense and space budgets and use that money to keep companies in the US and bring others back from overseas? 
IDK, I believe there are more wasteful programs out there that could save us a buck.
'70 Barracuda Gran Coupe
'14 Ram 1500 Express Black Edition