Author Topic: Licensing a Mopar if your not a resident in USA  (Read 1086 times)

Offline pink70

Licensing a Mopar if your not a resident in USA
« on: August 18, 2009 - 09:55:13 AM »
We live in Australia and intend to fly to Carlisle next year and buy a Mopar then drive it across the country on holiday. What do we need to do regarding licensing the vehicle in our name.  Kentucky MVL say we cant licence it in that state because we dont have a Kentucky address and dont have a Social Security number.
Does anyone know how we can get around this ??? We intend to leave the car in San Francisco or Portland OR and use every year when we come back on holiday.
Thanks for any ideas :bigsmile:
Toni

moparniac

Re: Licensing a Mopar if your not a resident in USA
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009 - 09:58:12 AM »
Use someone you knows address where you are gonna store it........ how about just a post office mailbox  :dunno:

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009 - 09:59:53 AM »
good question, you will have a grace period for licensing it after you purchase it, If you don't have residence in a paticular state I'm not sure how you would go about it
Scott   -  Member since 9/18/2005

Offline pink70

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009 - 10:02:21 AM »
Use someone you knows address where you are gonna store it........ how about just a post office mailbox  :dunno:
Nah, cant do that, you need to prove that we live in America, eg social security number and bills with that address on it. Which of course we dont. I think some states you dont have to have a permanent address etc? Any ideas which states that might be?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009 - 10:04:54 AM by pink70 »
Toni

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009 - 01:53:27 PM »
That's a tough one.  I believe for most states you have to provide proof of insurance before you can even get a temporary tag.  What makes it even tougher is every state has a different take on the rules, and there is very little consistency.  I would say you either need to focus on the state you buy it in (Pennsylvania) or the state you will be shipping it from.  You're not going to get anything from any of the other states because they have no role in the purchase or shipping.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009 - 04:31:17 PM »
Can't you purchase the tag in your country and bring it here, then get insurance coverage for while you are here?

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009 - 07:17:50 PM »
Every State is different.  You can check Online with the Department of Motor Vehicles in the state you purchase the car from.  As for insurance use Hagerty or such and get a agreed upon amount and time.  It can and does get done everyday over here, you just need to do some leg work.

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009 - 11:52:57 PM »
Can't you purchase the tag in your country and bring it here, then get insurance coverage for while you are here?
Correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe he will be buying the car until he sees what is available once he is at Carlisle.  The insurance part should be easy as long as his carrier can handle stuff online such as sending the card.  The problem is convincing the DMV to provide a temp tag for a car that will not be registered in the state he buys it in.  My guess is he will have to work some kind of deal with his home office once the car is purchased and insured.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009 - 02:17:38 AM »
I would contact the DMV & see what they can suggest , I would talk to a few of the locations to get someone who si helpful if you have too , leaving it licenced as an Australian vehicle with proper insurance may be the best solution

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline pink70

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009 - 03:44:23 AM »
I have contacted the DMV in Carlisle PA and I would have to have a permanent address to license there. I have also tried Portland OR and they are the same. I have heard that California might be different so that is my next port of call. It is not possible to register as an Australian vehicle and get insurance with a company in Australia, have already tried that.
I intend to fly to Carlisle, buy a car there and then drive back over west as part of our holiday. I dont know much about getting a temp tag to get to the state that I will be licensing it in, can someone fill me into how I might do this? I really appreciate your comments and advise. The insurance side of it is fairly easy, progressive will do that without a problem, not sure how getting a tag will affect that though.
Cheers
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009 - 03:47:11 AM by pink70 »
Toni

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009 - 05:15:32 AM »
    :aussie:  When I used to import cars from America a few years back I was able to register the car at my Australian address, they sent the renewal to me in Australia. This was in California, they were trying to toughen up though, the biggest problem is insurance.   :money:   I have been told that the plate issued could still be used again, would have to confirm that though.   

When I bought my Challenger in Kansas they wouldn't let me register it but since the owner had an Antique plate on it he left it on for me and maintained the current tag as he couldn't cash it in. I drove it down through Oklahoma and across to California, no problems, plenty of interest, police were some of the people who gave me the "thumbs up"   :2thumbs:   :cheers:
Dave

Offline 4drbrnko

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009 - 01:58:01 PM »
Contact these guys.
http://www.bennettlawofficepc.com/Registration_Services

They may be able to help.
I use them for my Motorhome.
They set up a Montana LLC in your name that allows vehicle registration in Montana.
Doesn't matter what state you live in to do it. It's legal, a lot of people do this with vehicles as it allows legal plates without paying the sales tax in their home state.
It's possible they would be able to do the same for you since you say you will be keeping the car in the states for annual holidays.
Worth a shot.  :dunno:
<-------<<<  Clickylinks..... My vehicles

Offline hebeegbz

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009 - 04:31:56 PM »
Here in the states the laws are the same state to state . Some times wording and procedure vary and thats it . UNITED states . You will have 21 working days to transfer title work that said all you need is to fill out title transfer and call your insurance company for a rider . also for the seller do a front and back photo copy of the title sign off ,this will ensure that the seller isnt stuck with the fallout if you do damage the car and do harm ,he or she will have a copy of signd title and all is well . former car dealer.
thread gone in 60 seconds

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009 - 08:01:28 PM »
Here in the states the laws are the same state to state . Some times wording and procedure vary and thats it . UNITED states . You will have 21 working days to transfer title work that said all you need is to fill out title transfer and call your insurance company for a rider . also for the seller do a front and back photo copy of the title sign off ,this will ensure that the seller isnt stuck with the fallout if you do damage the car and do harm ,he or she will have a copy of signd title and all is well . former car dealer.
:iagree: and you should ask  your autrorites  about your intentions on buying a car in the u.s. to bring back to your country,and your insurance company in your country,,after all its up to them,,since you will bring it home,,it may be a pain but cover your bases so to speak,,dont get it to new jersy's dock as there was one stolen there recently,,get refrences on your hauler,,and i live in kentucky maybe i will see you drive thru  :cheers:
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline pink70

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009 - 08:10:12 PM »
Thanks for the advise guys
I think I pretty much have it sorted now, the Montana LLC seems to be the way to go if California state doesnt work out. 
Just one last thing, can anyone suggest insurers that will insure the car with a foreign driver? I have tried Progressive, but would like to give some others a go.
We wont be brining the car back to Aus. We will leave it there to use each year we come back on holiday. I hope I can catch up with some of you next year :cheers:

Toni