Author Topic: 727 removal ground clearance  (Read 714 times)

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
727 removal ground clearance
« on: August 18, 2009 - 04:19:41 PM »
I know a lot of you folks here have removed a 727 or two. I was wondering if anybody can tell me approx how much ground clearance I will need to get the monster out. I am figuring approx 20 inches for the transmission and the transmission jack I am using (not the same one I had previously posted about) is about 7 inches all the way down. It is a small rectangular unit on wheels that uses a socket extension to raise/lower. So I am figuring 27 inches from the bottom of the car to the ground. Is this about right?? That's pretty high & I know the greater the height, the more unstable the car can be. I've made 4 X 4 platforms to go under the wheels as a safety feature. Any tips??

Matt B.
Matt

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
Re: 727 removal ground clearance
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009 - 06:32:01 PM »
sounds about right,,i put my rear wheels on car ramps and turned them oppisite dierctions so the car couldnt move forward or backwards,and put the front on jack stands, and used a cherry picker for extra support for the front,just in case,,
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009 - 07:14:23 PM »
Sounds about right. I usually drop it off the jack onto some plywood while under the car to get it out. If you remove the front wheels, it sometimes helps to get the trans out sliding it out the wheel well opening, -depending on exhaust setup and where you place your stands.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009 - 10:02:01 PM »
Sounds about right. I usually drop it off the jack onto some plywood while under the car to get it out. If you remove the front wheels, it sometimes helps to get the trans out sliding it out the wheel well opening, -depending on exhaust setup and where you place your stands.
Thanks guys. That's an idea I've not thought of!! :2thumbs:

Matt B.
Matt