Author Topic: Restoration of an origonal owner 73 Challenger Rallye  (Read 195383 times)

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
Re: Restoration of an origonal owner 73 Challenger Rallye
« Reply #225 on: November 07, 2011 - 09:08:59 AM »
 :wow:  Great resto thread!  First time looking at it!  Love the time and effort you've taken to document everything!  :thumbsup:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #226 on: November 07, 2011 - 10:35:42 AM »
Thanks for the compliments guys.  It means alot!

I installed the rear swaybar yesterday.  A couple of the bolt holes were enlarged so the bolts wouldn't tighten up.  I ended up smashing part of a cotter pin and put it in the holes.  That shrunk the holes a little and gave the bolts something to grab.  Hopefully they will hold.

I also installed the drivers side resonator hanger bracket to the floorpan.  Since this was originally a single exhaust car I had to drill the four holes in the floorpan for the bracket.  Thankfully there were dimples in the floor pan where the holes needed to be.

The car is now pushed way over to the side of the garage for the winter so I can get my wifes car inside.  I moved the rear axle to my place so I can redo it again this winter.  I just cleaned up the original center section and was able to uncover all the factory markings.  I ordered new leaf springs but they come painted black.  I'll have to take them all apart in order to strip the paint and coat them with RPM.  The steering column is also on the list to redo this winter.

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #227 on: November 07, 2011 - 08:15:44 PM »
Keep the pictures coming!  We like to see progress!!! :drunk:

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #228 on: November 07, 2011 - 08:25:10 PM »
Progress is looking good.

I just picked up some RPM at SEMA. I'm gonna be using it on parts back on my car.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #229 on: November 07, 2011 - 08:39:55 PM »
RPM seems like good stuff.  Since it's new, no one really knows how long it will last.  I think you'll like it. I'm waiting for someone to try it on exhaust manifolds.  I havn't heard of a solution I like yet to keep the rust off of them.  I've got a little time before I have to worry about it.

Offline 73RallyeChallenger

« Reply #230 on: November 07, 2011 - 08:58:26 PM »
 :thumbsup: Ceramic Coating
73 Triple Black 340 Challenger
70 Plum Crazy T/A Challenger - work in progress (AGAR)

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #231 on: November 07, 2011 - 09:10:20 PM »
The manifolds were on the engine before it was painted.  They should be mostly covered in blue paint. I've seen the ceramic coating and they look nice...although they don't really look natural IMO.  I was hoping that one could paint the manifolds blue...then after the engine had been run in, apply some RPM to keep the burned off areas from rusting.  I've got some time before I tackle the manifolds.  I might end up having them ceramic coated before I spray them with engine paint.

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #232 on: November 07, 2011 - 09:18:02 PM »
Does RPM survive at that high of a temp?  I thought you pre-heated the materials to 120 before applying it.  Wouldn't getting it up to header temp cause it to liquify again?

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #233 on: November 07, 2011 - 10:25:51 PM »
It wasn't designed for use on high heat applications like manifolds but it's a new product.  New uses for it are being tried.  I know at least one person has used it on his carbs with good results so far.  It's also been used on aluminum wheels to cut down on all the polishing.

Yes, it would liquify again once it got to 120 degrees.  However, you don't put a thick coating of it on.  If it doesn't burn off, it may stay on the manifolds and re-solidify when it cools.  I think ECS used it on the exhaust pipe of the Valient.  That car has only been warmed up a few times but it's held up so far.

Someone should try it on the manifolds of a daily driver this winter.  That would be the ultimate test.

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #234 on: November 08, 2011 - 04:33:21 AM »
 :clapping:  it's looking great!  And i love the body color.
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline red74cuda

« Reply #235 on: January 18, 2012 - 03:31:20 PM »
Burdar could you please tell me what the RPM coating is you are using and where you buy it? I have been looking around for it on the net and can't find it.

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #236 on: January 18, 2012 - 03:49:00 PM »
I believe the only place to get it is directly from the manufacturer:

http://ecsautomotive.com/rpm.php

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #237 on: January 18, 2012 - 04:26:28 PM »
There are a few other distributors but Jamie posted the link to the company that accually makes it.  That's who I bought it from since I ordered a new VIN sticker and rosehead rivits at the same time.  I've used about 2/3 of the can so far.  It's going to be close but it should do the rest of the car.  Coating suspension pieces eats up the RPM very fast.

I usually like getting a project done before posting pics but since the RPM was brought up again I'll post some pictures.  This is one of the reman. calipers I bought years ago.  Both calipers had a little surface rust on them from years of sitting.  I cleaned off the rust and removed the pistons/seals so I could RPM the entire piece.  Once the parts were done, I reinstalled the seals/piston and installed the brake hoses.  I RPM'd the ends of the hoses as well.

The spindles and caliper brackets were sand blasted and darkened with black oxide solution.  Finally they were RPM'd.  They did turn out a little too dark but I'm still happy with them.

Everything you see here with the exception of the new tie rods was soaked in muriatic acid.  I bought a smaller section of PVC pipe and did the same thing I did with the driveshaft.  Once the rust was gone, I soaked them in baking soda water to neutralise the acid.  Finally. they were RPM'd.

I just got done with the LCA's over the weekend.  They were sand blasted, then the torsion bar socket, rivets and lower ball joint end were darked with black oxide.  I rubbed the entire arm down with steel wool to get rid of some of the blasted look.  I masked off the lower ball joint end and sprayed Krylon Battery Protectant onto the arm.  It does a nice job of replicating the look of cosmoline.  After spraying a matte clear over the battery protectant, I let it dry for a day.  Finally, I RPM'd the entire arm...over the paint and everything.  This picture was taken right after the battery protectant was sprayed...the RPM hasn't been applied yet.

Offline Grec

• The '73 Chrysler should have made...
« Reply #238 on: January 18, 2012 - 05:24:05 PM »
Interesting. You choose to apply the "cosmoline" before the RPM... Is that stuff more like a paint? The stuff I got is like real-deal cosmoline.

I'll be doing the same parts in a week or so. I was planning on hitting the LCA with RPM 1st and spraying it with Eastwood Anti-Rust after...

Anyway, I frickin love that RPM stuff. Great product.
1973 Challenger Rallye
- 440 Six Pack
- A833 4 Speed, 18 Spline
- FE5 Rallye Red on Black

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #239 on: January 18, 2012 - 07:14:48 PM »
You can't paint over RPM.  Do a test on a scrap piece of metal first.  The battery protectant dries completely like paint.  Real cosmoline stays tacky.  I wanted some extra protection so I RPM'd the entire arm.  Like I said, do a test on a scrap piece of metal.  RPM it and then try spraying your Eastwood product and see what happens.  A guy on Moparts tried spraying the battery protectant after RPMing his LCA's and it didn't work.

Also, reguarding the center link, strut rods and tie rod adjuster sleeves....

Previously, I had all those parts painted with POR-15.(LCA included)  POR makes a paint stripper called POR-strip.  If anyone needs to remove POR-15, buy some POR-strip.  It works awsome.  The POR-15 wrinkles right up and just flakes off.  Regular paint stripper doesn't touch POR-15.  Also, think very hard if you really want to use a product like that.  I'm spending a lot of time removing it to get parts back to bare metal.  I just made a lot more work for myself by painting those parts years ago.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012 - 07:22:40 PM by burdar »