Author Topic: Restoration of an origonal owner 73 Challenger Rallye  (Read 195374 times)

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
Re: Restoration of an origonal owner 73 Challenger Rallye
« Reply #270 on: April 08, 2012 - 10:55:44 AM »
I'm a blackwall tire guy and unless I was going for concours resto, I wouldn't bother with bias ply tires.  But if you're going for that look, I say WSW.   :thumbsup:
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline joelson6

« Reply #271 on: April 08, 2012 - 09:49:01 PM »
hey Darren, the car is looking great.  :2thumbs:

as for the leaf springs. i bought the MP springs for my '72 and they were absolutely horrible.
the passenger's side sat 1 1/2" lower than the drivers side. it was a complete waste of money.
i ordered a set from Springs 'n Things. i had them add 2" to the ride height and after they
settled, the springs set perfect.

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #272 on: April 09, 2012 - 06:38:23 PM »
I would go with the WSW because you have everything else original right down to the 2 bbl. carb.
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #273 on: April 09, 2012 - 10:33:47 PM »
I would go with the WSW because you have everything else original right down to the 2 bbl. carb.

And a body colored underside and dual exhaust...Those are my two biggest mistakes.  I understand what you're saying though.  I keep going back to the WSW's but have been second guessing myself.

Offline Grec

• The '73 Chrysler should have made...
« Reply #274 on: April 13, 2012 - 09:32:36 AM »
In my humble opinion, the RWLs would fit the look of your car much better. The WSWs are definitely a much more formal look. ie, they look right on that tan with brown top Challenger in your pic, but not so much on the sportier scheme your car has. Ya know?

RWL Polyglass tires were original equipment on 73 Challenger Rallyes (I've got a perfect one in my trunk to prove it :-) so it's not as if they would not be "correct."

Just my 1.7 Yen.
1973 Challenger Rallye
- 440 Six Pack
- A833 4 Speed, 18 Spline
- FE5 Rallye Red on Black

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #275 on: April 13, 2012 - 12:59:27 PM »
I`d say wsw.  For the simple reason that when I think of your car, they are on.
*** Bart ***

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #276 on: April 13, 2012 - 02:00:23 PM »
The WSW's were standard on the Rallye.  The RWL's were an extra cost option so yes they were available.  I'm going to think about it a little longer however, I'm still leaning towards the WSW's.  I'm going to put some other wheels on it for the time being and send the bumpers out for rechroming.  I don't have to buy tires just yet.

The springs are done...we'll see if I have problems with them.  I just have to get the spring hangers off the original springs and clean them up.  My fasteners are done at the plating shop too so now I can assemble the engine.  The car should be sitting on its suspension in a few weeks.

Offline joelson6

« Reply #277 on: April 14, 2012 - 12:06:56 PM »
COOL! can't wait to see the pics

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #278 on: April 14, 2012 - 11:35:54 PM »
 :iagree:

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #279 on: April 15, 2012 - 07:52:50 PM »
I worked all afternoon trying to get the spring hangers off the original springs.  I ended up having to drill out both sides of each bolt and twist the heads off.  I need to soak the hangers in acid but it's way too windy right now to try that.

I've been working on a lot of parts in my dads shop since I don't want to risk something flying into the car.  Today I was looking for a center punch in one of my dads small tool boxes.  I was shocked to fine the top of the box just filled with Challenger fasteners. :banghead:  I found all of the fender hardware that was missing, the missing cupped exhaust washers, the original fan bolts I've been looking all over for and the package tray clips w/ attaching brackets.  I had fasteners scattered in 100 different places. 

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #280 on: April 15, 2012 - 07:57:11 PM »
When I took apart my last parts car, I took every fastener and put it in a tray and labeled each with a self-adhesive label. When I moved to VA, I found those trays...and all the labels had fallen off  :grinyes:

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Jamie

« Reply #281 on: April 15, 2012 - 08:11:10 PM »
I agree ,as I spend so much time searching for the correct nuts and bolts. My car came in boxes and holy s@#t am I driving myself crazy over the small stuff( everyone watching please label every single freaking part you take off for a resto). White letters would be nice on your car for sure!!!!!   
  Also wanted to add that I put the mp springs on about 5 months ago and it is still sitting perfect! I am not an air shock look person so these sit pretty much the way most cudas looked when new.Maybe mopar revised the spring build quality recently???
I will finish a project.I will finish a project. I will finish a project.

70 barracuda plum crazy
( current goal is to keep just one car) AND FINISH IT!
08 charger r/t  w/road & track package
2011 silverado

Offline 1dodgechallenger

« Reply #282 on: April 20, 2012 - 03:45:14 PM »
Hello! After seeing this beautiful Challenger (I love the color combo!) I just had to join the forum and tell you how much I appreciate this car. I have always wanted this color combo on one for myself. I have just started looking for a rough Challenger to do a build-up on. Bud, this is a great looking car! And the story is very cool as well.  :thumbsup:
"You wanna see what I trust? In God I trust. It's the words on the back of every bill."--Steve McQueen in The Getaway.

Cars I have owned: 1972 Plymouth Scamp, 1972 Ford Maverick Grabber, 1975 Pontiac Catalina, 1948 Pontiac Chieftain, 1951 Henry J, 1950 GMC long stepside, 1966 Ford Galaxie, 1982 AMC Spirit, 1973 Dodge Charger.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #283 on: April 20, 2012 - 04:01:56 PM »
Thanks for that.  It means a lot.  I don't have the skills a lot of others on here have but I'm doing the best I can.  I've learned a lot and would hope that if I'm able to do another car some day, it will turn out even better.

The spring hangers were very pitted and couldn't bring myself to just use them as is.  I ended up filling the pits in the outer sections and painted them.  They will definately be added to my list of things to change out at a later date.  I just have to press the studs back into the hangers and the rear end is ready to go it.  I'll be doing that tomorrow.

Offline 1dodgechallenger

« Reply #284 on: April 20, 2012 - 04:16:41 PM »
Looks like you're doing fine! Can't wait to see the final pics of the car. Nothing like restoring a family car and involving (in whatever way) the next generation. Keep up the good work. She's a beauty in the making.
"You wanna see what I trust? In God I trust. It's the words on the back of every bill."--Steve McQueen in The Getaway.

Cars I have owned: 1972 Plymouth Scamp, 1972 Ford Maverick Grabber, 1975 Pontiac Catalina, 1948 Pontiac Chieftain, 1951 Henry J, 1950 GMC long stepside, 1966 Ford Galaxie, 1982 AMC Spirit, 1973 Dodge Charger.