Author Topic: Restoration of an origonal owner 73 Challenger Rallye  (Read 195203 times)

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
Re: Restoration of an origonal owner 73 Challenger Rallye
« Reply #345 on: May 30, 2012 - 03:43:49 AM »
Darren...
man, I can't say enough about how perfect your masterpiece is turning out!  You most definitely have a knack for the fine details and how to turn rust into gold, I mean silver!  Nice color too!

:2thumbs:                       :ylsuper:                       :clapping:                 :drool:                   :cheers:               
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline Grec

• The '73 Chrysler should have made...
« Reply #346 on: May 30, 2012 - 11:47:04 AM »
Dude... the only problem I have with this thread is it always makes me want to spend more time / money on mine.

That shiny blue motor looks awesome in there. 2 bbl carb not withstanding. lol.

Great work, as always.
1973 Challenger Rallye
- 440 Six Pack
- A833 4 Speed, 18 Spline
- FE5 Rallye Red on Black

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #347 on: May 30, 2012 - 11:29:40 PM »
I sent the original fuel pump-to-carb lines to "Fine Lines" on the 22nd.  I hadn't heard anything back from them so I called them up over lunch.  They looked for my lines but couldn't find them.  All afternoon I was worried that the USPS lost the package.  I got home after work to find a box at the door.  It was my new lines. :grinyes:  That was quick turn around.  They look just like the originals and are already installed. 

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #348 on: May 31, 2012 - 08:49:57 AM »
The car looks great!  Didn't know your car had a 318.  Thanks for all the great pics!  :thumbsup:

BTW-cute kid!  :grinyes:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Jocigar

« Reply #349 on: May 31, 2012 - 02:05:11 PM »
Looking good!! man that must feel good to reach another major milestone  :ylsuper:  it will be back on four wheels soon.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #350 on: May 31, 2012 - 04:58:02 PM »
I should be able to have it on all fours very soon.  I'm not looking forward to hooking up the exhaust while laying on my back.  I've always installed exhaust on a hoist.  I'm going to shoot for breaking in the engine on the 9th.  That means the radiator needs to be done for me to pick up on Saturday.  That gives me a week to get the e-brake cables, exhaust, steering column, rad, torsion bars and front brakes installed.

Offline Grec

• The '73 Chrysler should have made...
« Reply #351 on: May 31, 2012 - 07:04:28 PM »
That gives me a week to get the e-brake cables, exhaust, steering column, rad, torsion bars and front brakes installed.

Sounds very doable.   :thumbsup:
1973 Challenger Rallye
- 440 Six Pack
- A833 4 Speed, 18 Spline
- FE5 Rallye Red on Black

Offline joelson6

« Reply #352 on: June 02, 2012 - 09:40:05 AM »
hey Darren, i did my exhaust while laying on my back, so i know how you feel. it really wasn't that bad though.
i'm guessing with the 318, you have a single exhaust. where did you get the system from? i got mine from
accurate exhaust. everything was great from them except the rear muffler hangars. they were cheap aluminum
that broke while i was driving it. i got the correct metal hangars from Dale's cuda shop. those aren't gonna brake.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #353 on: June 02, 2012 - 10:30:44 AM »
The one deviation from stock is going to be dual exhaust.  I regret it a little now but the valance is all painted.  The system is from Accurate.  The rear hangers aren't aluminum.  Maybe they updated them since you bought your system.  They seem to be stout pieces but I'll look at them closer when I install the system.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #354 on: June 02, 2012 - 09:01:06 PM »
Here's how trying to install the exhaust went today...

:pullinghair:  :pullinghair:  :swear: :swear:  :villagers: :villagers:

Do not install a prebent system from the back to the front like you are instructed to.  It doesn't work.  After working on the PS pipes for about 3 hours with no real progress, we pulled everything apart and started at the front.   It went together much nicer.  When the pain in my arms goes away I'll work on the DS pipes.  At least I got the torsion bars, rotors, brake pads, calipers and driveshaft installed before starting on the exhaust.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #355 on: June 05, 2012 - 11:23:03 PM »
I've got brakes.  I went with DOT5 fluid.  After tax, a quart ended up being $27. :22yikes:  The system took a little more than a pint.  I bench bled the master and bolted it back on.  I opened all four bleeders and within 10 minutes, had fluid at all four corners.  The pedal feels decent but it does feel better on the second pump.  I'm sure the rear brakes need to be adjusted a little more yet.

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #356 on: June 06, 2012 - 06:01:48 AM »
progress  :grinyes:
what made you decide to use dot5?  Looking into brake fluids myself...
*** Bart ***

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #357 on: June 06, 2012 - 08:46:16 AM »
DOT5 doesn't damage paint.  That was the only reason.  I used stainless lines and I was afraid I might have issues getting them to seal.

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #358 on: June 06, 2012 - 12:46:52 PM »
I used DOT5 too,  just remember that bubbles take time to work their way out, so bleeding may take some time.  you might want to let the fluid sit in the system for a day or two, then do your bleeding.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #359 on: June 06, 2012 - 12:55:55 PM »
I was a little concerned about the original prop valve since it had been sitting for so long.  Everything seems good.  A little more adjustment in the rear and the pedal should be fine.  I was prepaired for a fight but it couldn't have gone better.