Author Topic: Restoration of an origonal owner 73 Challenger Rallye  (Read 194921 times)

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
Re: Restoration of an origonal owner 73 Challenger Rallye
« Reply #375 on: July 07, 2012 - 02:36:07 PM »
I've never seen one like yours.  Mine had black paint just in the thin recessed areas.  The paint was still in good shape after cleaning them with an old tooth brush.

This is what mine look like...
  http://www.moparaction.com/Article/PoP/M.jpg
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012 - 02:39:10 PM by burdar »

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #376 on: July 07, 2012 - 08:43:56 PM »
The only other  I had to break off the clips and drill small holes into the fuzzies/quarters.  Once the glass in is, I think the screws will be hidden.

I just had the same problem with my quarter window fuzzies. They were way off. Even on my OEM quarter panel. 

I decided to epoxy glue them into place. They're holding solid now.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Grec

• The '73 Chrysler should have made...
« Reply #377 on: July 08, 2012 - 10:48:02 AM »
Interesting. There was definitely traces of paint on areas other than the recessed lines on mine. Went back and looked at that pic and you can still see it there. (on the sides and inside the three star points)

:dunno:

Well... if it's wrong, I'm not gonna fix it. Lol. I like it being a bit more subdued anyway. :-)
1973 Challenger Rallye
- 440 Six Pack
- A833 4 Speed, 18 Spline
- FE5 Rallye Red on Black

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #378 on: July 08, 2012 - 11:28:37 AM »
Here's a better pics of how mine was painted.
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/attachments/f19/45521d1332737032-another-goat-head-elimination-thread-2010-ff-srt-a6.jpg

Yours looks good like that.  I'd leave it.  You can always tell people that BB Challengers got that special emblem in 73.

Offline joelson6

« Reply #379 on: July 11, 2012 - 06:40:21 PM »
it really coming along great. i used the landau black for my interior panels too.

if i remember correctly, i used a heat gun to remove the wood grain off the inserts and console cover.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
very long update
« Reply #380 on: August 04, 2012 - 08:29:41 PM »
got the motor running yet...?   :popcorn:

That's a loaded question.  The past two months have not been kind...

On June 9th I picked up the radiator.  I didn't want to have to worry about it so I just had it re-cored.  I spent a good part of the afternoon installing it, hooking up the hoses and adding fluids.  I also adjusted the torsion bars and set the front end on the ground for the first time.  Here's how things looked at that point.

After Wade posted the vaccum diagrams from the FSM I went to a craft store and bought some paint pens so I could replicate the colored stripes that came on the hoses from the factory.  I stretched the hoses out on my work bench and nailed the ends down so they wouldn't move.  I used my finger as a guide and ran the paint pens down the length of the hoses.  They turned out really nice.  You can see the red, green, yellow and white striped hoses in the above pic.

I didn't have a battery for the car yet so I pulled the one from my Durango.  After hooking it up, I checked to make sure everything worked.  I have a couple bad bulbs but everything else works which is good because I hate electrical problems.  Dad came over that evening to help me start the engine.  After squirting some gas down the carb it fired right up for a second but died right away.  We had a hard time getting the fuel pump to prime.  I ended up taking the fuel line loose from the carb.  I used an oil can to fill up the line with as much gas as it would hold.  Finally we got enough gas up at the carb to keep the engine running.  As soon as it stayed running I took the RPMs up to 2500.  I immediately knew something wasn't right.  The engine was missing badly and the entire car was shaking.  Oil pressure was very good and I didn't hear any strange noises coming from the engine so I kept running it at above 2500 for 20 minutes while dad added trans fluid and checked for leaks.  After the 20 minutes I let off the gas and it popped through the carb and died.  I couldn't get it to idel at all.  As soon as you let off the gas, it backfired through the carb and died. 

I called a friend of mine who had a compression tester.  The next week he came over and we took some compression readings.  Cylinders 3 and 7 had zero compression. :swear: :puke:  Since the engine was missing from the very beginning I didn't think the cam was to blame.  The two cylinders that had problems were both on the same side.  Remember the one cylinder head that didn't have the oil feed hole drilled in it?  That head was on the side that had zero compression.  The engine was going to have to come back out.  More in a little bit.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012 - 09:10:36 PM by burdar »

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #381 on: August 04, 2012 - 08:51:23 PM »
Sucks to see all that hard work and it doesn't work :(

Waiting for part 2  :popcorn:

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #382 on: August 04, 2012 - 09:28:45 PM »
Very sorry to hear this.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #383 on: August 04, 2012 - 10:25:33 PM »
OK, I had to give the kid a bath and get him to bed.  He really stalls at bed time...saying he's hungry and then walks up the stairs really slow. :)

So, of coarse by this time it was extremely hot.  I think I spend a little time each night for three days getting the engine ready to pull.  I was hoping to get it out without taking the hood off but the chain on the hoist was too long so the hood had to come off.  The engine when to the machine shop towards the end of June.  They were busy so it was going to take 3 or 4 weeks before they could get to it.

In the mean time I installed the trunk weatherstripping.  I was planning on the trunk lid not closing due to the seal being too thick.  I was right, the lid wasn't even close to closing.  I clamped some thin pieces of wood to the seal to compress it.  I left it like this for a week.  I still need to do a little more work to it but the lid does close now.

After 4 weeks I called the machine shop and told them I was ready for the engine.  They were busy and hadn't looked at it yet.  I got a call the next week and they wanted me to come in to see what they'd found.  They did a leakdown test and cylinders 3 and 7 were leaking 90%.  They pulled that head to find 2 sticking exhaust valves and all the seats cut way too deep.  That head needed a couple new valves, all new seats and all new guides.  Although the other head was working OK, it would have had the same type of work done to it.  I decided to bring in my original heads to have rebuilt instead of using those Aerohead pieces of junk.

Two days go by and I go back to the machine shop to see how bad the original heads were.  They needed all new valves and guides and 1 seat...still less work then the other heads.  Right as I was leaving, the manager yelled at me and said, "Oh, the intake manifold is cracked."  :faint:  That was the original intake with the correct casting date and everything.   :banghead:  He took me back and showed me the intake.  It had a crack that started in the center of the two throttle holes and extended both dirrections...all the way out through the choke thermostat well and over to the EGR valve opening.  He said, "Now would be the time to put a 4-barrel on it."   :lol:  I told him that I thought I had an extra intake manifold that I would bring in.  I went home, found the other intake and brought it in the next day.  The casting was a little different then the original.  The casting date was in the back of the intake instead of in the front so you won't see it anyway.

Obviously the paint on all the engine brackets was ruined.  I've blasted and painted those things at least 3 times and couldn't mentally go through all that work again.  I gave them to the powder coater this time.

I picked up the engine on Tuesday.

Cleaned and painted it on Wednesday.

Dropped it back in on Thursday.

I worked on it last night and all day today.   This time I filled the fuel line with gas before trying to start it.  I also filled the bowl with gas through the vent.  I had my wife turn the key while I worked the gas.  It fired right off and sounded decent.  I took a short video of it but need to figure out how to edit and post it.  I was tired so I havn't thrown a light on it yet.  We only had it running for a few minutes. 

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #384 on: August 04, 2012 - 10:34:48 PM »
Major incovenience , glad you found it early!  :2thumbs:  Best of luck!!

Offline Grec

• The '73 Chrysler should have made...
« Reply #385 on: August 05, 2012 - 11:10:41 AM »
I like how in the space of two or three posts you go from: Motor needs to be pulled, heads are shot, intake is cracked, motor back home, motor painted, motor in car, car running.

Glad you got it sorted out!

1973 Challenger Rallye
- 440 Six Pack
- A833 4 Speed, 18 Spline
- FE5 Rallye Red on Black

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #386 on: August 05, 2012 - 11:55:30 AM »
 :lol:  I didn't want to post about the problems until I had it sorted out.  My wife edited the video this morning and added a little production value. 

'73 Challenger Rallye first startup.

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #387 on: August 05, 2012 - 03:14:52 PM »
wow...that was some set back....  :22yikes:   purrs like a kitten :wow: 
*** Bart ***

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #388 on: August 05, 2012 - 08:48:28 PM »
Sounds healthy.  :bigsmile:

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #389 on: August 06, 2012 - 12:25:36 PM »
Glad to see you got it sorted out!  that was my biggest fear, and why i did hookup the A/C right away.  Now that you have that behind you, everything should be smooth sailing from here!