Author Topic: Restoration of an origonal owner 73 Challenger Rallye  (Read 195359 times)

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
Re: Restoration of an origonal owner 73 Challenger Rallye
« Reply #465 on: October 07, 2012 - 11:46:07 PM »
Thanks for all the comments guys. I'm pretty happy with how it looks and I'm happy that others feel the same. 

I'm very happy with the way the trim rings look.  I wasn't sure what I'd think of them but I think they'll work just fine.  I was going to waite to install them until the toe is readjusted but I really wanted to see what they'd look like.  As you probably know, the 14" brushed trim rings aren't repopped and NOS rings are big money.  I bought these new rings from a guy near Des Moines.  The valve stem hole isn't quite the right shape and there is an extra lip on the inside that the originals don't have.  I thought about painting that lip black but I don't think you really notice it unless you're really looking for it.  The main thing that's wrong is that the rings don't come brushed.  To fix that, the rings were installed on a bare wheel and the wheel was installed on a lathe.  Just a few minutes per ring with a scotchbrite pad is all it took.   Although not totally correct, $120 vers $600 is a huge savings.

Offline tony 73

« Reply #466 on: October 08, 2012 - 06:13:26 AM »
Looks fantastic. Must have been a great feeling seeing it parked there. Well done , you should be very proud of your hard work. It's paid off in a big way.

Offline Challenger III

« Reply #467 on: October 08, 2012 - 10:20:25 AM »
Awesome! You should be very proud of your accomplishment!  :clapping:
Mike    Yakima, Washington

Resto Thread:  http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=66668.0

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #468 on: October 08, 2012 - 12:15:19 PM »
I appreciate the time you've taken to keep us all updated with photos and how-you-did-it commentary. Beautiful and done for all the right reasons, thanks for the inspiration :2thumbs:
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #469 on: October 08, 2012 - 08:41:15 PM »
Thanks for all the comments guys. I'm pretty happy with how it looks and I'm happy that others feel the same. 

I'm very happy with the way the trim rings look.  I wasn't sure what I'd think of them but I think they'll work just fine.  I was going to waite to install them until the toe is readjusted but I really wanted to see what they'd look like.  As you probably know, the 14" brushed trim rings aren't repopped and NOS rings are big money.  I bought these new rings from a guy near Des Moines.  The valve stem hole isn't quite the right shape and there is an extra lip on the inside that the originals don't have.  I thought about painting that lip black but I don't think you really notice it unless you're really looking for it.  The main thing that's wrong is that the rings don't come brushed.  To fix that, the rings were installed on a bare wheel and the wheel was installed on a lathe.  Just a few minutes per ring with a scotchbrite pad is all it took.   Although not totally correct, $120 vers $600 is a huge savings.
Now I know why someone recently stole the rings off of my Challenger. They were 14 inch and perfect.  Keep a good eye on your car.
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #470 on: October 08, 2012 - 08:49:04 PM »
Hmmmmmm.....

...and Burdar just happened to GET a new set of brushed trim rings......

:stirpot:

:smilielol:

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #471 on: October 08, 2012 - 09:21:24 PM »
Now I know why someone recently stole the rings off of my Challenger.

That sucks.  Air cleaners and fender tags have been stolen recently at large shows.  With as much money as the brushed rings are bringing, it doesn't surprise me. 

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #472 on: October 10, 2012 - 07:50:40 PM »
I have two R/T's that were parked and the fender tags were stolen.  One, I have the build sheet.  The other I don't.  The car that is the non build sheet is a sunroof car; but now I can't prove it. These people that steal this stuff need something done to them.  I now have, and would recommend everyone making sure they have, good pics of their fender tag/tags.

burdar.  I am in the process of cleaning out my shop.  I may have an extra set of rings.  If I do come across a set, I will let you know.
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #473 on: October 10, 2012 - 07:53:46 PM »
I now have, and would recommend everyone making sure they have, good pics of their fender tag/tags.

I agree with this. If you have some really rare options, I'd say get a duplicate tag made to leave on the car, and keep the original safe, say with important papers. I'd also consider, if you're not going into an extreme show car circuit, to bolt the tag in place, maybe with a couple of spot welds on the underside, instead of using the screws.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #474 on: October 12, 2012 - 07:34:37 AM »
A few weeks ago I gathered some bodyshop pictures of the car and made a little video out of them.  I need to try and add some sound to it at some point.  I'm posting it now because the car was built 40 years ago today.  The MDH code on the VIN sticker says 101218.

73 Challenger part 1

Last night I drained the radiator and filled it with antifreeze.  I tried removing the block plugs but there was no way to get to them easily.  I'm going to go for a drive around town tonight and check the strength.  I'll drain the rad down again if I have to in order to get the maxinum protection.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #475 on: October 12, 2012 - 08:42:56 AM »
Makes me smile!  :2thumbs:  Congrats....and happy birthday!  :icon16:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Jocigar

« Reply #476 on: October 12, 2012 - 09:55:08 AM »
wow,  congrats!!!

Having been followed your thread since I became a member here,,. its amazing to see it show-ready done.    Looks great!!  :cheers:   must be great feeling.

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #477 on: October 12, 2012 - 09:59:01 AM »
Great vid of the whole process of body work. Happy B-day to your ride.  :cooldancing:

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #478 on: October 12, 2012 - 02:32:37 PM »
What a nice little birthday present for the car!  to get a new restoration like that!  :woo:

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #479 on: October 12, 2012 - 09:48:45 PM »
Happy 40th to you!  You've done a great job both on the challenger and on this fantastic thread.  :2thumbs:
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes: