Author Topic: Restoration of an origonal owner 73 Challenger Rallye  (Read 195394 times)

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
Re: Restoration of an origonal owner 73 Challenger Rallye
« Reply #570 on: April 20, 2015 - 09:15:50 AM »
Glad to see you back at it!

Jason
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline dfrazz

• 1970 Cuda - 1968 Charger
  • Resident
« Reply #571 on: April 20, 2015 - 09:18:24 AM »
Great looking pair of Mopars you got there! :2thumbs:

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #572 on: April 20, 2015 - 08:37:50 PM »
Cool stuff Darren! Great to see you playing with it again!  :wave:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline blown motor

• Resident
« Reply #573 on: April 20, 2015 - 09:04:55 PM »
Hey Darren, glad you're working on the Chally again.  :2thumbs:
In search of the eternal buzz!

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #574 on: April 20, 2015 - 10:25:59 PM »
I took a few pictures of the problem spots tonight. A lot of corrosion on the zinc plated parts. All the fasteners that I darkened and coated with RPM have rust on them. I wasn't sure about using it on fasteners that get hot in the engine compartment. I'll either have to put a clear on them or try to find an "at home" phosphating kit. I think I can save the clear zinc parts but the gold/yellow zinc parts will need to be redone. For the clear zinc parts, I can clean them up with steel wool but they will need to be cleared after that. I'll have to find a clear that won't change the look of the zinc.

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #575 on: April 20, 2015 - 10:58:28 PM »
Hi Darren.  I know you're glad your 73 is back home.  I didn't take my cuda out last year because we remodled the kitchen.  My goal is to get it out this summer.  My battery also has been on a tender for over a year.  I added water to the cells recently.  Anyway its good to see you out here again.
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #576 on: April 21, 2015 - 06:34:50 AM »
All the fasteners that I darkened and coated with RPM have rust on them.

That's impossible  :swear:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline blown motor

• Resident
« Reply #577 on: April 21, 2015 - 08:47:50 AM »
Darren, to prevent hardware from getting shabby looking after a couple years I used stainless steel nuts and bolts for things like carb, thermostat housing, alternator, etc. I wouldn't use them on the heads, etc as I'm not sure how they compare for tensile strength, stretch and so on. A bit more money but they look great.
In search of the eternal buzz!

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #578 on: April 21, 2015 - 09:39:31 AM »
Fasteners like that from the factory were phosphate coated.(light to dark gray) This is a stock restoration so I want to stay factory.  There is a company in town that does phosphating but they have a $100 minimum charge.  That's also for just a couple pounds of fasteners. 

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #579 on: April 21, 2015 - 10:13:43 AM »
Here are the pictures I took last night.  The manifolds don't bother me since I knew they'd do that anyway.  I will be refinishing them though.  I think I might try the trans fluid method I read about.  I don't want to paint them with a pseudo metal paint if I don't have to.  You can see that most of the zinc parts have white rust all over them and the fasteners I RPMed have started to rust.(not necessarily RPMs fault...something caused it)

I rubbed down the heater hose bracket with 0000 steel wool last night and it turned out nice.  I just have to find a clear to protect it that doesn't change the look of the zinc.

Offline joelson6

« Reply #580 on: April 21, 2015 - 11:41:29 AM »
hey Darren, my car did the exact same thing. i think there's no way around it unless you store you car in a climate controlled garage all year.

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #581 on: April 21, 2015 - 04:51:41 PM »
 :iagree:   you`ll keep doing this every other year....   I`d just enjoy it as is.   You built it like new again... start of its second life. Drive the wheels off and do it again in 40 yrs  :2cents:
good to see you`re back at it  :cheers:
*** Bart ***

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #582 on: May 24, 2015 - 12:35:17 AM »
Here's an update.  I've got the engine compartment looking a lot better.  I sanded all the corrosion off of the clear zinc parts and sprayed them with a clear coat.  They look pretty good again.  All the bare metal spacers and bolts were cleaned up, redarkened and dipped in the sealer that came with the black oxide kit.  I still need to clean up the wiper motor, brake booster and master cylinder cover.  I'm going to drive the car this summer and worry about those things this winter.  I still need to clean up all the rusted suspension pieces.  I can't just leave things the way they are.

When I parked the car, there was still a list of things I needed to fix.  I've been slowly making progress on them.  The main problem was the rear end.  I had a friend go through it and replace all the bearings.  There was a faint wine during decel before I had it rebuilt.  When I got it back, the faint wine turned into a LOUD wine.  After setting it up again, the LOUD wide on decal turned into a LOUD wine on decal AND accel.  I decided I didn't need a sure-grip in this car so I put the stock open 2.76 rear back under it.  It hasn't been rebuilt but I figured it couldn't be any worse then what I had in there already.  To my surprise, it's pretty quiet, and doesn't leak at all.  You can easily turn the wheels when they are off the ground.  It was VERY hard to turn the wheels with the sure-grip in there.  I don't even notice an acceleration difference between the 3.23 and the 2.76.

The turn signals weren't working very well.  I installed a new stock style flasher but there was still a 5+ second delay from when you activate the switch, to when the lights start flashing.  They were also flashing very slowly.  I installed an electronic flasher and the problem went away.  The signals now flash at the proper speed and the lag/delay is gone.

A couple weeks ago I noticed the engine was running very badly.  It had a miss and it was shaking when you gave it gas.  I looked at the plugs but they looked fine.  I had a lifter tick on #3 cylinder that I needed to look at so I pulled the valve covers, rockers and all the lifters out of the engine.  With all the camshaft failures lately, I wanted to have a look at the lifters.  They all looked fine.  I reset the pickup gap to .008 and put on a different ECU.  I even disconnected the EGR and vacuum advance to isolate the problem.  Still, the engine ran very bad.  I was convinced it was something internal.  I talked to the machine shop about looking at it for me since I was out of ideas.  They suggested putting new gas in it just to be on the safe side.  They said gas only lasts 90 days any more.  I put stabilizer in the gas before I parked the car but it had been sitting for a year and a half.  Last night I siphoned out the old gas in the tank and filled it with new NON ethanol gas.  As soon as I fired it up, I could tell it was running MUCH better.  I should have suspected the gas but it didn't even cross my mind.

The PS brake hose had a small leak where it seals at the caliper.  I bought the thicker washers from the dealer but still had a leak.  I removed the reman caliper and saw that the sealing surface was heavily pitted.  No wonder the washer didn't want to seal.  I sanded out the pitting with a flap disc on my angle grinder, then hand sanded it to get the sealing surface flat.  No more leak.  Check your calipers for pitting where the copper washer needs to seal.

Today there was a big cruise in a town about 40 miles away.  The wife and I drove up there in the Challenger for the afternoon.  It's really starting to feel more like a reliable car.(not there yet but getting closer)  The drive up there and back went great.  There was a little hiccup during the cruise itself.  The last time the car was at this cruise was more than 20 years ago.  It got hot sitting in the slow moving traffic back then and it did the same thing today.  It started creeping up during the first loop.  During the second loop it started running rough and actually died.  I was lucky that it fired right back up.  For the rest of the loop, I kept my foot on the gas and let it idle a little higher.  I assume that was my first taste of vapor lock.  As soon as I was able to pick up some speed, the temp came right back down.  I talked to the owner of a really nice 68 Charger 440 car.  He was getting hot too and had to park it.  Overall, it was a nice day cruising around in an old Mopar.

Sorry, I just noticed how long this post ended up being...

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #583 on: May 24, 2015 - 07:18:00 AM »
Great to hear your enjoying the Challey Darren.  :2thumbs:
  Lesson learned on the fuel, start with the basics.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline YellowThumper

• I left the snow for this?
« Reply #584 on: May 25, 2015 - 01:18:24 PM »
Nice you got some seat time.
X2 on having these cars reliable.  They then end up just sitting because the new ones have us spoiled now.

Mike
Removing the warning labels one at a time.
Nature will take care of the rest.