Author Topic: Restoration of an origonal owner 73 Challenger Rallye  (Read 195378 times)

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
Re: Restoration of an origonal owner 73 Challenger Rallye
« Reply #495 on: November 26, 2012 - 12:56:55 PM »
drop dead gorgeous
*** Bart ***

Offline usraptr

« Reply #496 on: November 26, 2012 - 09:48:05 PM »
Very nice!  Love the color! :2thumbs:
1970 Plymouth 'Cuda.  Matching numbers 440 U Code, 4 speed pistol grip, Rallye dash, AM 8 Track, Shaker hood, 15 inch rallye wheels, Dana 60 4.10, Super Track Pak.  One of 134 - 440 "U" coupes codes built in 1970 and one of 100 - 440 Super Track Paks built in 1970.

Restoration pictures at:  http://spanks4thememory.smugmug.com/Cars/70-Cuda/7240639_M24oi#465274575_2MBqW
(Edited 8-1-17)

"usraptr" = United States raptor - bird of prey = United States Bald Eagle.  FYI, somebody else thought of it first so I had to drop the "O" in raptor.

Offline MY J0B

« Reply #497 on: November 26, 2012 - 09:59:26 PM »
That was absolutely the BEST tire choice  :2thumbs:

Offline elmoska

« Reply #498 on: December 03, 2012 - 07:50:20 PM »
veryy nice job you did there. I surely have a lot of question when i'll start mine.

i was wondering what did you do finally with the clip for your vynil roof ? did you have picture .. you said that you may have to drill new hole is it right ?
1974 challenger on its way..

Offline barracuda7199

• needs a resto but having to much fun right now
« Reply #499 on: December 03, 2012 - 09:08:20 PM »
really nice job on the car!!! its a shame to be done with it right when winter sets in.
Brandon

71 Barracuda 440 727                                                                 
(O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #500 on: December 03, 2012 - 10:09:44 PM »
i was wondering what did you do finally with the clip for your vynil roof ? did you have picture .. you said that you may have to drill new hole is it right ?

I took the trim off and drilled holes next to each of the welded on pins.  I found the bolt-on style clips at a local parts store.  I used some strip caulk around each hole so I wouldn't have any water leaks.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #501 on: December 03, 2012 - 10:10:07 PM »
My new plates showed up over the weekend.  I found two sets of 72-74 Iowa plates at my grandparents estate sale.  I thought one might be the original set to the car but that wasn't the case.  I found the correct numbers on the original title though.  I had some repro tags made with the same numbers the car originally had. 

There are a few differences but overall I like it.  The color should really pop against the body color. 

Iowa allows you to run a year of manufacture plate as long as you keep the state issued tags in the car somewhere.  I e-mailed the Iowa DOT about this because I couldn't find anything in writing.  They sent me the Iowa code section that says this is legal.  I printed it off and will keep it in the car just incase I need it.

Original 72-74 Iowa plate on top...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012 - 10:12:20 PM by burdar »

Offline elmoska

« Reply #502 on: December 04, 2012 - 07:50:18 AM »
thank you burdar, i can't wait to receive mine in the meanwhile i'm reading a lot of stuff here and your restauration is for now the most exiting i saw.
1974 challenger on its way..

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #503 on: May 20, 2013 - 09:46:31 PM »
I drove the car a little tonight.  I didn't think I was going to get out of the garage at first though.  Apparently the ballast went bad and I flooded it.  I tried an old ballast that was laying around and finally got it to start but only when the key was relieced.  So after clearing it out, I hooked the wires back to the ballast on the car and it cranked and cranked and cranked.  When I let off the key it fired up.  I'll pick up a couple ballasts and see if that fixes it.

Something is making an awful noise while going down the road.  I don't know what it is.  I checked the front end and everything is tight.  However, if you pound your fist against the top or bottom of the tire, there is a rattleing noise somewhere.  Pounding your hand on the front or back of the tire does nothing.  I don't know where it's coming from.  I assume they are related somehow.  The front fenders aren't undercoated yet so I thought maybe there was a vibration there.  I need to have the rear gone through yet so maybe it will turn out to be that...it sure sounds like it's coming from the front though.

The turn signals finally stopped working all together tonight.  I'll also pick up a new flasher at the parts store tomorrow when I get a ballast.  They were starting to flash very slow and pause every once in awhile.  The flashers are original so hopefully that takes care of it.

I had a chance to look at the speedo tonight a little too.  I used my GPS to check against what the speedo was reading.  It looks like I'm 5 mph off.  I'm going 55 when the gauge reads 50.  When the gauge reads 25 I'm accually going 30.  For whatever reason, there were no mile marker signs on the road I was on so I couldn't check to see if the odometer was off.  Hopefully it's off too.  That would mean all I need is a different speedo gear.  I'm sure I have the correct one though.

There is a cruise this weekend I'd like to attend.  If I can get a couple of these issues figured out and if the weather is nice I should be able to make it. 

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #504 on: May 21, 2013 - 10:12:38 PM »
I worked on the car a little tonight.  I picked up a new flasher and installed it.  The turn signals work again.  They didn't have a HD flasher and the 521HD number didn't cross in their system for some reason.  The signals work OK when in Park.  I'll have to see how they do while in Drive when the RPM's are a little lower.

I put a new ballast on it as well.  That's not the problem.  It still wouldn't start and flooded itself.  It finally popped off and started but it took a lot of cranking.  Once it was warmed up I shut it off and tried to restart.  It cranked and cranked but didn't start until I let off the key.  Great...

I also put the repro lisence plates on tonight.  They look good.

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #505 on: May 21, 2013 - 11:34:11 PM »
It cranked and cranked but didn't start until I let off the key.  Great...

Sounds just like a bad resistor, but could also be the ign switch. Can't remember offhand if the blue wire is start or the brown is, but one is 'run', the other 'start'. I'd say you don't have the 12 vdc to the resistor when in 'start', but you do in 'run'. A meter with aligator clips on the resistor and position the meter so you can see it from inside the car. When you crank, see if you have 12 vdc at the resistor. :2cents:
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #506 on: May 22, 2013 - 12:15:06 AM »
The ignition switch is new but that doesn't mean it didn't go bad.  I questioned it when I installed it because there was an extra ground wire on it that the original switch didn't have.  A battery + wire coming from the main dash harness would have plugged right into the ground wire if I hadn't seen it.  I pulled the ground wire out of the flat connector and wrapped it up.

Maybe tomorrow I can check for voltage at the coil with the switch in the crank possition.  If nothing, I'll pull the bulkhead and check it there.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #507 on: May 23, 2013 - 10:06:19 PM »
Well it's running again.  I'm not sure exactly what the problem was.  I had a really old tan dist. cap on it.  I put a newer black one on there for now.  Everything I tested came out OK. Maybe the connector at the steering column was a little loose.  When I stabbed the test light in there it made contact again. :dunno: 

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #508 on: May 24, 2013 - 03:51:12 AM »
I do so hate electrical bugs. Glad you got it going.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline johns cuda shop

• 71 Cuda Pro-Touring Build
  • Machinist and Fabricator
    • Custom Machine Components
« Reply #509 on: May 30, 2013 - 10:11:24 PM »
I love this car and all what you have done with it. Keep the pictures coming!! :bigsmile:
71 Cuda Gen III Aluminum 426 Hemi T56 6 speed 4.10 8.75 Modified & Lowered RMS coilover suspension Wilwood discs