Author Topic: Texas 'Cuda or Rusty2 Begins!  (Read 4917 times)

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
Texas 'Cuda or Rusty2 Begins!
« on: August 23, 2009 - 10:12:52 AM »
With the economy the way it is I'm still worried bout spending the last 2K or so to finish up the interior on the 73.
So I had a couple a pieces off the 74 blasted to start on some rust repair. got a welder, got some scrap metal, so I should be able to keep the money layout down to materials & get a little progress going!
here's some of the carnage!

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
Re: Texas 'Cuda or Rusty2 Begins!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009 - 10:16:16 AM »
Cutting out the rust & makin the patches!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009 - 10:22:01 AM by RUSTY Cuda »

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009 - 10:20:39 AM »
Put a flange on the bottom of that last patch cause the lower metal is a bit thin.
Started some of the welding, was waithing on my por15 delivery to do the lower patch(wanted to flood the rear framing before closing that up.

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009 - 10:30:02 AM »
Trunk lid is gonna be crazy , when I cut the rust part of the skin & saw whats underneath I decided to skin it, this lid has a decent frame, my other lid skin is pitted frame is shot, may skin that & put the whole skin on instead of trying to patch this one????????
K, lost my picks of the trunk lid carnage, but here's the skin side of the frame & the headlight bucket por 15'd .
Flooded that rear brace on the fender, seems to have leaked out most of the folded areas so i hope most of it's coated in there!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009 - 07:17:23 PM by RUSTY Cuda »

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009 - 10:34:09 AM »
will probably spend 300 hours & 400 bucks  to fix a 200 & change trunk lid, but what fun would bolting on a new piece be? :naughty: Rich.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009 - 07:31:54 PM by RUSTY Cuda »

Offline hezzel

• Matching numbers 383 Magnum ,727 at and 3:23 rear
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009 - 12:03:58 PM »
Nice work  :woo: Keep it up :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Challenger R/T
2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid

wagesofsin

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009 - 05:57:20 PM »
looking good, keep up the "fab"ulous work!!

:2thumbs:

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009 - 03:30:31 PM »
I understand what you are saying but when you get my age it is better to see more progress faster and I want to have as new of a car that I can get.   :bigsmile:  Nice work by the way   :2thumbs:
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009 - 07:29:50 PM »
Yea, I ain't gettin any younger either.
Got that lower patch welded on & hit that area with the DA to see how much work getting it clean for the epoxy primer is gonna be, it will take some effort.
Por 15'd the back of the fender & tried some reinforcing mesh I bought for the other car & never used, seal up any holes in my welding & the metal back there was thin to begin with, don't know if it will do much good, but figgured it can't hurt!  :dunno: Rich.

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009 - 08:25:30 PM »
Got my new "Grass" today, got a clean work area for a while, a little more gorund covered this time around.(2 cars to deal with now)
Turned in all my scrap copper early this year, no christmas bonous this year :'(
Anyway she looks good on clean turf & in the shade!  ;D

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009 - 08:32:54 PM »
After I buy stock in por15 I'm gonna find out who makes those tarps & buy stock in them too, 1 storm & it split right down the seam! :swear:
Back to the project, decided to skin the other trunk lid today, less issues (or smaller) to deal with, got it off pretty easy, only had to drill one spot weld the rest popped with a screwdriver.
Guess the trick will be when I go to put it back on if I don't end up with a sea going lid (waves)  :dunno:
some pitting on the exterior
couple a holes(a lot less than the other)
& 2 cuts into the metal, hard to see but a couple a bursts from the mig should cure those.

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009 - 07:44:38 PM »
Got the welding done on the patches & the underside of the skin por15'd the other day,setting up for todays attempt to reskin the frame.

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009 - 07:49:43 PM »
This might cost me, but I intended to silicone all the spots where the frame hits the skin, did a test fit, had trouble getting the edges in & when I finally did I started to bang the edges over & totally forgot the silicone! :clueless:
So what kind of problem will that cause, rattling? wavy skin? worse? anyone have an idea?
Anyway the other issue was where I patched I ground the edge a bit thin & it split when I hammered em over, a little extra welding & gringing & I think that will be ok!

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009 - 07:52:58 PM »
Etched the fnder & shot a good coat of epoxy primer to seal it up & then 3 coats a high build, next time out a guide coat & rough sanding to see how bad it is, a lot of dings & small dents around the headlight& assorted dings & pits all over, I know I'll need putty where I welded just wanna see how bad the rest will be! ;) Rich.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009 - 07:57:50 PM by RUSTY Cuda »

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009 - 12:50:24 AM »
Wow Rich, you are such a glutton for punishment lol. I love seeing your work though. Did you finish the red beauty? Please tell me that for all that hard work you are cruising that babe down the street by now. 
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*