Author Topic: help... 727 acting up  (Read 679 times)

Offline sprecks

help... 727 acting up
« on: August 25, 2009 - 09:51:14 PM »
I finally got my 472 Hemi running and now the trans is acting up. First off I broke the cam in for about 20 minutes. The car was up on jackstands so I slipped it into gear.... nothing happened. Put it in neutral and checked the fluid level, it was low. Filled it up to the proper level and then put it in gear again and the wheels tried to move but still didn't turn. I added more fluid (now it is over filled), still nothing. I bring the RPMs up and they start to turn and then pop into gear. I take the car off the stands and put it into reverse to move it out of the garage. I have to rev the heck out of it and it finally moves. I take it for a drive and it shifted great. I drove it around a bit and it seemed to be OK. Then when it was in 3rd, it started slipping in and out of gear. After the car sits for ahile I have to rev it up to get it to 'pop' into gear and then it seems OK except it still wants to go in and out of gear when idling in 3rd gear. Is this a pump problem?
The transmission was pro built about 7 years ago. It has a Transgo forward shift manual valve body, heavy duty clutches, etc. What's the problem with this thing? Maybe it's time to take it back to the tranny shop.
you can call me Jay
I've seen sicker dogs get well.

1971 Challenger Vert - 472 Hemi EFI
1969 Road Runner 440/Auto
2017 Ram Laramie 1500 - Hemi

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
Re: help... 727 acting up
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009 - 09:56:20 PM »
Sounds to me that there is a clutch problem or the seals are gone.  Sorry but that is what it sounds like.   :2cents:
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline Ck[FIN]

• Get real - Get Mopar
    • Small car club from Finland
Re: help... 727 acting up
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009 - 03:09:07 AM »
Sounds to me that there is a clutch problem or the seals are gone.  Sorry but that is what it sounds like.   :2cents:
:iagree:
Sounds like the front drum (3rd/reverse drum) seals are broken. Does the oil smell bad?
Get real - Get Mopar