Author Topic: Hemi Suburban?  (Read 1268 times)

Offline quagmire

• Traction Impaired......
Re: Hemi Suburban?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009 - 02:02:01 PM »
I agree, the 7.3's were excellent motors.  The Cummins both old and new, and the Duramax's are also excellent.  Maintenance should be cheaper, you only have air, fuel filters, and oil changes to do.  They do take more oil and diesel oil is more expensive, but they have longer oil change intervals too.  It's the repairs that cost more when they do need to be done, which luckily, is pretty rare with the above mentioned powerplants.  Mileage is almost always better, and they tend to last much longer.  I know many guys that barely hot mid teens out of gas trucks, forget about towing.  The ones in the fleet with diesels consistently knocked down twenties, and it hardly went down with a heavy load!  Torque is a great thing. 

I'd stick with a slightly older one since the new diesels have much more emissions equipment that kills the mileage gains and is notorious for being expensive to fix.  As of 2007-2008, they ALL have to have them.  And they ALL have issues with them too.  Gotta love the EPA!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009 - 02:04:20 PM by quagmire »

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2009 - 02:48:53 PM »
Dodge makes a passenger version of the Sprinter...

Mike
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline macsdaddy

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009 - 03:13:01 PM »
thanks for the input, I would have done a pre 03 and th e7.2 would be my choice.  Its a hard market for them though they dont pop up very often.  As for trannies, I am a bit of a freak about those, we have a Honda Odyssey that had the failure warranty work done on it and I keep the maintanence done on it like clockwork

Offline farmertan

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2009 - 08:29:15 PM »
My friends 07 power stroke broke down this morning, 49k miles on it, ended up being the fuel pump, they at first tried to tell him if he couldnt prove w/receipts that he changed the fuel filter every 15k then they didnt have to cover it. By this afternoon it ended up that he paid 100. deductible and 114. for filters and such and they covered the pump. With this low sulfer fuel there is no lubricity to the fuel so thousands of diesels have died to save the environment. Lets see 500ppm to 15ppm thats not even a measurable amount. I add 2 stroke oil to my semi's fuel and figure I'm back up around 5000ppm take that tree hugger.
73 340 4sp 2nd owner since 85    brett

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2009 - 01:19:43 AM »
I would avoid 6.0L ford diesels like the plague! :eek4: We have them in all of our ambulances at work, and they are significantly less reliable than the 7.3's or just about anything else for that matter. Yes, the van body doesn't help because of the lack of cooling, but they eat turbo's left and right. My department sent out drivers to bring back the first 6 we got a couple years ago from the midwest and only 4 made the trip, the other 2 blew turbo's. Brand new engines, not even beat up out in the field yet. So maybe you've got a 66% shot? Although I know we've replaced several engines and turbo's since then. The newer 6.0's are a little better, but still not great by any means.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009 - 01:21:30 AM by 72bluNblu »

Offline quagmire

• Traction Impaired......
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2009 - 09:17:56 AM »
Yeah, those engines have had a ridiculous amount of problems.  It is one of the bigger reasons Ford is dropping the contract with Navistar and going to make an in house diesel.