Author Topic: heretic?  (Read 544 times)

Offline challenged72

heretic?
« on: August 30, 2009 - 10:40:09 PM »
So, let me start by saying I am not yet ready to do a full resto on my new E-body

I would like some opinions. Im fairly good at body work with putty, as far as painting Ive only done it once but did a pretty good job and I'll practice before I do my challenger.

I have never done sheet metal work, Im afraid of it honestly. I would be willing to get a welder and try, but Ive never done anything like it. Opinions?

What im wondering is how bad it would be to fill in the bad spots on my car with filler for the time being. Ive had it on a lift and checked under the carpets, the car is pretty solid. I'll be stripping the car down and coating the floors and the inside of the 1/4 panels and etc in POR15 or something similiar

I dont have any extensive rust, the only areas that will probably be rusted through when I get to poking at them is the edge of my trunk lid (it might not be fixable) and the 1/4s

I can supply pics for a better determination if you want, I just want to know I guess if there are any bad consequences to putting body filler in it for now and re-doing the sheet metal down the road when Im older, right now I want it as a DD, show car quality can come later.

opinions?

Offline Bluemonster71RT

Re: heretic?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009 - 12:42:42 PM »
For just a daily driver I see no issues in doing the preventitive body work.  I'd say its better to take care of some of the rust now and stop its spreadding until your ready to redo the whole car.
1971 Challenger RT 383 4spd

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
Re: heretic?
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009 - 12:51:23 PM »
I will wait on pictures to say much.  Body panels are not that hard though.   :2cents:
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon