Author Topic: ignition switch replacment/still won't turn over  (Read 4742 times)

Offline cudax34me

ignition switch replacment/still won't turn over
« on: August 31, 2009 - 09:27:11 PM »
I need to replace the switch in my '73 bcuda.Not the key switch but the actual wired switch.How do I gain access to it to replace it?    :pullinghair: I've seen the post on the key switch.(all the pics have been lost in cyberspace)Now I need to get past that.Any help is appreciated greatly.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009 - 12:04:14 AM by cudax34me »

Offline Bearcuda

Re: ignition switch replacment
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009 - 09:47:43 PM »
You need to break down the column enough to get to it. There have been threads on how to do that here.
1973 Cuda 440
1971 Javelin SST

Offline Bearcuda

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009 - 09:55:33 PM »
Here's the thread i posted when I was doing this. The pictures are gone and the provided link isn't good anymore, but it might help some. I had to make a special puller to get to the inner part of the column.
1973 Cuda 440
1971 Javelin SST

Offline cudax34me

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009 - 10:11:08 PM »
I appreciate the response but.........no thread. :clueless:

Offline Bearcuda

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009 - 10:46:19 PM »
1973 Cuda 440
1971 Javelin SST

Offline cudax34me

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009 - 11:27:39 PM »
Thanks Bearcuda. :clapping:That helps allot.do you still have a pic of the puller you made??? If so could you post it in case I need to make one.Again thanks... :cheers:

Offline Bearcuda

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009 - 09:05:17 PM »
Sure, here ya go. I just took a piece of stock pipe big enough to fit around the column shaft. I welded a nut to the top to accept the threads of the bolt. I then welded a bottom flange piece that I had pre drilled to match the three holes where the screws go through. If memory serves, there is another snap ring type fastener that you have to remove before using this. It doesn't look like one is there to remove, but trust me, its there. Hope this helps.
You don't need that cut out part on the bottom flange. That's just how that piece already was before I used it.
1973 Cuda 440
1971 Javelin SST

Offline cudax34me

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009 - 11:23:26 PM »
Thanks again Bearc.That would have been a faster and easier way to get it off.How long a piece of pipe is that anyway?I may make one for the next time I need to tear into a column.I was out there earlier and noticed the snap ring.I'm glad I picked up that cheep snap ring plier kit years ago.(finally had reason to use it)You hadn't posted yet so I went to prying on that section.Side to side and it finally came loose.Then there is another clip thing.Got it off then that PITA lock ring.Someone told me it had a pin in it but that "sleeve" thing was hiding it.Thought I was gonna beat the column to death getting the pin out.It looks like it's only supposed to go in one way.I removed the switch and compared it to the new one.The switch body is the same but the wires are placed different on the back.It also has an extra black wire that goes in the space on the plug where the factory plug has no wire.I'll try to post pics of them tomorrow to see what the "Gurus" think.The replacement is a BWD switch part # CS82.If somebody knows this is not a problem let me know.And does anyone know if/ho you get the key buzzer swich wires out of the factory plug?????

And my son Tyler thinks your avatar is cool.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009 - 11:33:43 PM by cudax34me »

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009 - 11:38:58 PM »
there are 3 small tabs around the cone connector that have to be depressed to remove the wires from the plug , a small tubular tool works well ifi  it is the right diameter , or get in beside with a small pick to release the tabs

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline cudax34me

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009 - 09:18:30 PM »
Thanks guys...Chryco,I had a eyeglass repair kit that had the smallest screwdriver I've ever seen.Worked perfectly for this.Bullit thanks for that link.I think I'll add it to my favs for future reference.They did forget to mention the snap ring and the other clip. :cheers:Again thanks guys. :cheers:The combined knowledge on this site is priceless.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009 - 12:22:12 AM »
 :2thumbs:

Glad to help out

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline cudax34me

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009 - 03:49:10 PM »
Ok I replaced the switch (A ROYAL PITA)and it still won't turn over off the key.I grounded the safety neutral switch at the relay and still nothing.What am I missing?What else have I got to do to make up for letting her sit for the past 8 years???

Offline Bearcuda

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009 - 11:18:05 PM »
Have you seen if you are getting juice to the relay? See if it will turn over or even try to crank by putting the key in run position and jumping the two large terminals on the relay with a screwdriver . If it does then it's a bad connection between that and your switch.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2009 - 08:32:44 PM by Bearcuda »
1973 Cuda 440
1971 Javelin SST

Offline cudax34me

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009 - 11:29:43 PM »
Have you seen if you are getting juice to the relay? See if it will turn over or even TTY to crank by putting the key in run position and jumping the two large terminals on the relay with a screwdriver . If it does then it's a bad connection between that and your switch.

Yea bear it will turn over with a remote trigger.This agrivated me sooo bad I just had to walk away from it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009 - 12:00:59 AM by cudax34me »