Author Topic: ignition switch replacment/still won't turn over  (Read 4743 times)

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
Re: ignition switch replacment
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009 - 12:16:40 AM »
Have you seen if you are getting juice to the relay? See if it will turn over or even TTY to crank by putting the key in run position and jumping the two large terminals on the relay with a screwdriver . If it does then it's a bad connection between that and your switch.
Or your solenoid is shot or poorly grounded.
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: ignition switch replacment/still won't turn over
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009 - 01:32:50 AM »
I have virtually never seen the switch be the problem , I just assumed you had checked the rest of the parts in the system

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline cudax34me

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2009 - 01:41:58 AM »
it quit turning over at the key quiet some time ago.i had wired a button to the starter relay and it works but i wanted to make it right.i had already replaced the relay so i assumed it was in the switch.grounded the safety neutral switch still nada. ??????????? what am i missing?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2009 - 01:44:08 AM »
poor contact on the yellow wire through the firewall maybe

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Bearcuda

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2009 - 02:04:46 AM »
Check for continuity between ignition switch connector and bulk head connector? You do have a schematic to go by right?
1973 Cuda 440
1971 Javelin SST

Offline cudax34me

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2009 - 02:17:27 AM »
yea i got one from the mymopar site.

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2009 - 08:29:48 AM »
poor contact on the yellow wire through the firewall maybe
It would be a good start. Remove the middle bulkhead connector, check the blades-clean if needed. With an ohmmeter you could check the continuity of the yellow start wire just to make sure the wire is ok and not broken. If everything seems ok in the engine compartment then maybe it's the connector at the steering column. Take apart the connector (square on both ends) and check the terminals. With the ohmeter again you could check your switch-just cuz it's new doesn't mean it has to be good. Put your leads on the yellow and red wires going into the column while somebody turns the ignition switch. The meter should drop to near zero. Reconnect and try to start. Hopefully one of these steps finds your problem. It's probably a good idea to disconnect your battery while screwing around with the connectors.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009 - 09:00:42 AM by dodj »
Scott

Offline cudax34me

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2009 - 08:21:30 PM »
It would be a good start. Remove the middle bulkhead connector, check the blades-clean if needed. With an ohmmeter you could check the continuity of the yellow start wire just to make sure the wire is ok and not broken. If everything seems ok in the engine compartment then maybe it's the connector at the steering column. Take apart the connector (square on both ends) and check the terminals. With the ohmeter again you could check your switch-just cuz it's new doesn't mean it has to be good. Put your leads on the yellow and red wires going into the column while somebody turns the ignition switch. The meter should drop to near zero. Reconnect and try to start. Hopefully one of these steps finds your problem. It's probably a good idea to disconnect your battery while screwing around with the connectors.

OK.I cleaned the bulkhead connector.Checked the yellow wire.Not only from bulkhead to relay but also to the switch side of the connector.All good.Red to yellow,turn switch and goes to near zero.Does the switch itself have two power sources??One for accessories and ignition(which works by the way) and one for the start circuit?Also am I wrong or does the start get it's power through the ammeter?If so could that be where my problem lies?

Offline Bearcuda

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2009 - 08:35:06 PM »
I had a bad ammeter in my Charger, but it only for charging, not starting. Try putting both terminals on one side of the ammeter and see what happens.
1973 Cuda 440
1971 Javelin SST

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2009 - 09:01:10 PM »
No, start power does not rely on the ammeter. It comes straight off the battery. Do you have 12vdc on the large red wire going to your start switch? there should be 12vdc there at all times, running or shut down.
Scott