Author Topic: The Journey........Restoration of My 73 Challenger!!!!  (Read 3238 times)

Offline ashley_j

The Journey........Restoration of My 73 Challenger!!!!
« on: September 03, 2009 - 12:46:26 AM »
I have been nearing the end of my project that I started in November 2005. I bought the car off  :ebay: from Oklahoma. The car came with a 383ci with a 727 with 323 rear end. It was originally a 318 car with factory air. I had it shipped here to Tennessee with a spot ready for her. My wife has always referred to her as my Mistress and is happy to say so to all our friends.  :lol: I moved the family Caravan to the driveway and gave the Challenger a new home. I had my wife on my side, luckily from the beginning. We work very hard and I needed a way to unwind and refocus. We do adult foster care (they are mentally retarded) and have for 8 years. We work 24/7 but we love it and love the guys we care for in our home with our 3 children and 4 cats. The project was always a dream. I have always loved MOPAR from the first time I remember riding in my grandfathers '67 Dodge D100 Pickup. He almost bought me a mopar for my first car but backout at the last minute. I can't remember exactly the car, maybe a Belvedere with a Big Block (1979?). Maybe thats why I am partial to Belvederes. I was hooked even though I did not get the car. Many years and many Mopars later I came to the 1973 Challenger that just captured my attention. It looked rough but I had seen worse. I am going to post several pics that I took along the process over several postings. I have a lot of pics. Let me know what you think. It is not perfect but I enjoy it.   I am still learning thanks to all of you.  :clapping:

Jeff
 :wavingflag:
2009 Dodge Charger 3.5 (Son's Ride)
2008 PT Cruiser Turbo (Mom's Hotrod)
2006 Grand Caravan SXT (you'd be surprised)
1973 Dodge Challenger (383ci w/425HP)

NEVER FORGET!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
Re: The Journey........Restoration of My 73 Challenger!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009 - 02:11:20 AM »
nice project jeff,
I think everyone who is putting so much effort into giving a home and a smile to others should have a musclecar to go out and play every now and then  :2thumbs:  :burnout:
looking forward to seeing more of the car  :cooldancing:
*** Bart ***

wagesofsin

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009 - 07:24:33 AM »
looks like a decent project jeff.   :2thumbs:

cant wait to see the progress.

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009 - 09:08:27 AM »
Looks like you have a good car to start on.  Can not wait to see the progress.   :2thumbs:
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline ashley_j

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009 - 12:22:50 AM »
Here are some more photos from the journey. The car was originally Dark Metallic Green. The previous owner started a R/T clone project and gathered some pieces that he had already changed. I got a R/T hood and a ralley cluster from 70-71. I had the cluster redone at AutoInstruments in VA. They did great. Take a look at the next set from disassembly and a couple from the interior refinish.  :picture:

Jeff

NEVER FORGET!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009 - 12:32:09 AM »
Looks great! The first thing I noticed in your gauge pic was that they are 70-71. Cool project and I am looking forward to seeing your progress on it!    :2thumbs:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline 70shaker6pk

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009 - 03:18:14 PM »
Here are some more photos from the journey. The car was originally Dark Metallic Green. The previous owner started a R/T clone project and gathered some pieces that he had already changed. I got a R/T hood and a ralley cluster from 70-71. I had the cluster redone at AutoInstruments in VA. They did great. Take a look at the next set from disassembly and a couple from the interior refinish.  :picture:

Jeff

Hey jeff,,, what did you use to get everything down to bare metal with?,  it's looking great!!
'JS23V0B'  1970 Challenger R/T N96 440 Six Pack

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009 - 11:33:55 PM »
Awesome project, yet another 73. :2thumbs: Good luck with the build. I'll be following along.  :popcorn:

Offline ashley_j

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009 - 03:05:56 AM »
I started looking for chemical strippers as my garage space was limited and a blaster was not practical for the large body panels. I tried the stripper from the POR-15 Co but it was not as good as I had hoped. It was very inconsistent. I tried several and had the best luck with the Aircraft/Low Odor type from Klean-Strip. The rust removal, especially for small pieces, was done with Safest Rust Remover. That stuff is awesome. Its about the same price as Metal Ready or Evapo-Rust. I like it because it had side benefits for rubber and plastic. It almost reconditioned the pieces when soaked. It also was great for cleaning electrical connectors. Try It I think you will like it!  :bigsmile:
Don't forget just plain elbow grease with the help of a wire brush or 2 or 3,4,5......
Jeff

NEVER FORGET!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009 - 06:49:07 AM »
You're off to an excellent start! Going back to green or some other color? You obviously have the patience of a saint!  :2thumbs:
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline e-tek

• My website: http://edanneberg.googlepages.com/home
    • E-Tek Resto's
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009 - 10:32:20 AM »
This is going to be a great "Before and After"!  :clapping: The pics on the tailer really make it look ROUGH! Looks like someone already did the floors?

On a side note, what a fantastic "giving of yourselves" profession - taking care of others. We have a son who also has special needs. This is totally off-subject coomentary and I'm sure you are an extremely well-meaning person....but, one thing I noticed was your use of the term "Mentally Retarded". Is that still used down there?? It's an antiquated and often perjorative term in 2009. We prefer to use terms like "mentally challenged", "special needs", or....well, I'm sure you know and I'm not lecturing you for sure. Agian, just a comment! Hope it's OK. :dunno: :clueless:

Good luck on the project. I have a 74 I just finished - the journey is 90% of the fun!! :wave:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009 - 10:34:45 AM by e-tek »

Offline E-Body Products

• E-Body Products
  • American Jobs Are Our Children's Future!
    • E-BODY PRODUCTS
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009 - 11:55:39 PM »
Great looking project!  I really enjoy the metal fab and replacement process.  I just finished this on my Barracuda.

Offline ashley_j

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009 - 03:32:18 AM »

This is going to be a great "Before and After"!  :clapping: The pics on the tailer really make it look ROUGH! Looks like someone already did the floors?

On a side note, what a fantastic "giving of yourselves" profession - taking care of others. We have a son who also has special needs. This is totally off-subject coomentary and I'm sure you are an extremely well-meaning person....but, one thing I noticed was your use of the term "Mentally Retarded". Is that still used down there?? It's an antiquated and often perjorative term in 2009. We prefer to use terms like "mentally challenged", "special needs", or....well, I'm sure you know and I'm not lecturing you for sure. Agian, just a comment! Hope it's OK. :dunno: :clueless:

Good luck on the project. I have a 74 I just finished - the journey is 90% of the fun!! :wave:

I use the term "mentally retarded" to use the term most used. The PC term is "Developementally Disabled". I had the pleasure of having a close relationship with the Conservators of my two guys and they always use the MR terminology. The MR term is technically a medical term that is still relevent and being used on medical records today. I have found that only the uninformed use it as a perjorative term. However, as we speak the state of Tennessee has changed the state agency DMRS (Department of Mental Retardation Services) to DIDS (Division of Intellectual Disabilities Services). They change the name but until the attitude changes nothing advances.

I need to let everyone know that this project is already 95% complete. I am backtracking to show how I got this far. When you see the Plum Crazy Challenger associated with my posts, thats this project. I just wanted to share my journey to the present.   :bigsmile:

Jeff

NEVER FORGET!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009 - 03:18:05 PM »
Hurry with the pics, bud. I can't hardly contain myself to see the end result. :droolingbounce: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline ashley_j

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009 - 02:06:40 AM »
This next set is from the first layer of refinish. I had cleaned and prepped the interior and frame rails on the front end. I set up a makeshift paint booth in my garage, much to my wifes dismay. I did a little sand blast and alot of rust removal with 'Safest Rust Remover' (awesome stuff) :2thumbs: with alot of elbow grease. I did not replace any panels at this stage but I did repair what I could with the tools at hand or that I knew how to use. Luckily the car was very solid with only surface rust and minor pitting. As I said before, it is not perfect but close enough for this go around.  :bigsmile:

Take a look at the before and after pic for the water pump housing (interior). I used the 'Safest Rust Remover'. Soaked it over night and it was like new.  :wow:

Jeff

NEVER FORGET!!!!!!!!!!!!