Author Topic: 3 Prong Electronic Flasher for LED bulbs, Trailer Towing, Custom Lights.  (Read 7304 times)

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
I thought I would throw this out there. I had to use one when we put LED turn signals on our Suzuki GSXR-750 crotch rocket. I want to put some LED tailights on my Challenger but our e-bodies come with 2 prong thermal flashers.  Everyone says get a load resistor. Well don't.  Go to WalMart or AutZone etc. and get an electronic flasher with the 3 prongs.    Problem solved, see my pics.
 Stole it off of ebay and cut and pasted the important stuff.

EDIT: Since I posted this I went through my other Electronic flasher and IT DOESN"T USE A GROUND WIRE. I think this is the more common one in stores. So you have to pull the connector out of your flasher plug to connect to the outside wires. If you ground the 3rd pin, like the first type, it will blow your fuse.
Check to see which type you have. The one sold on Ebay does use a ground wire.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2009 - 04:23:55 PM by ShelbyDogg »
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline danmc77

Re: 3 Prong Electronic Flasher for LED bulbs, Trailer Towing, Custom Lights.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009 - 12:55:15 PM »
If I add LEDs to use as front turn signals, and keep the stock incandescent rear bulb, will it still work with the 2 different lights in the circuit?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009 - 02:07:54 PM by danmc77 »
68 Charger
73 Cuda
69 Superbee
71 Demon

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009 - 01:55:57 PM »
If add LEDs to use as front turn signals, and keep the stock incandescent rear bulb, will it still work with the 2 different lights in the circuit?

Yes, it is now using a timer and relay circuit to control the flash. It doesn't care what your load is.
Lots of cool LED bulbs out there!
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline danmc77

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009 - 02:06:04 PM »
Sweet - thanks.  I just converted my front valance turn signal/parking lights into HID road lights on my 68 Charger.  Now that I lost the turn signal function of the lights, I was planning to discretely mount maybe a set of motorcycle turn LEDs behind the grille for signals.  Wasn;t sure if I had to modify the circuit when only using the LEDs up front.

68 Charger
73 Cuda
69 Superbee
71 Demon

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009 - 02:18:08 PM »
Sweet - thanks.  I just converted my front valance turn signal/parking lights into HID road lights on my 68 Charger.  Now that I lost the turn signal function of the lights, I was planning to discretely mount maybe a set of motorcycle turn LEDs behind the grille for signals.  Wasn;t sure if I had to modify the circuit when only using the LEDs up front.
That would work great. Those motorcycle LEDs are very small and stick on anywhere.I was thinking of putting a set inside my side mirrors, so they would light up all around the mirror.
I mounted driving lights in my kid's Honda Prelude when I installed a body kit on it 7 years ago. I made them the turn signals.
Rob

Offline danmc77

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009 - 03:08:29 PM »
That would work great. Those motorcycle LEDs are very small and stick on anywhere.I was thinking of putting a set inside my side mirrors, so they would light up all around the mirror.
I mounted driving lights in my kid's Honda Prelude when I installed a body kit on it 7 years ago. I made them the turn signals.
That side mirror thing sounds like a neat idea.

Yeah, I want something small and with a smoked lens - that way you shouldn;t be able to see them when not in use. 

I actually modified the stock Charger parking lights to accept HID bulbs.  So, when they're not on, you'd never know they weren't stock.  I bench tested them yesterday and I think they're going to look bad ass.  I also converted my heads to HID with new H4 housings. 
68 Charger
73 Cuda
69 Superbee
71 Demon

Offline danmc77

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009 - 03:11:12 PM »
BTW - the schematic you posted...  does the stock plug fit right on the 2 perpendicular terminals, or does each terminal need a single connector to fit?
68 Charger
73 Cuda
69 Superbee
71 Demon

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009 - 04:07:38 PM »
BTW - the schematic you posted...  does the stock plug fit right on the 2 perpendicular terminals, or does each terminal need a single connector to fit?
Plugs right in.

I had my driving lights hooked up to a separate switch but when I put my bank of relays in, I added a wire from their relay to the high beam relay so they would only come on when my high beams were on and wouldn't stay on when I turned my lights off. (I installed a headlight buzzer so I always turn the lights off)
Rob

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009 - 06:11:04 PM »
SWEET! I was going nuts one night trying to find this info on the web.

Of course, all the bulb sellers want you to by their high dollar flashers and "loads". I've got a load for them!

Thanks, SD
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009 - 12:18:04 AM »
I've got a load for them!

Thanks, SD
You're welcome. those electronic flashers have been around forever. Some of the import flashers I play with look like a tall relay but have a full timer circuit inside of them too.
Rob

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009 - 04:26:50 PM »
Read my 1st post above. I found a more common 3 prong electronic flasher that just uses a capacitor. If you ground the 3rd terminal it will blow your fuse, when it tries to put your hot wire to ground.     Check to make sure which one you have while you are hooking it up.
Rob

Offline danmc77

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009 - 01:37:10 PM »
Lol - too bad I didn't see your edit sooner.  I tried to hook it up the original way and blew something - no fuses were blown, and my fusible link was intact - but no lights anywgere in the car.  I wound up pulling the entire dash harness to try and figure this thing out. 

I'm going to re-install tonight, hopefully all my stuff works again.

so - I think I have a similar flasher as the one you posted later.  Do I just hook up the X and L where they were with the original thermal flasher and leave the other terminal unconnected? 
68 Charger
73 Cuda
69 Superbee
71 Demon

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009 - 03:10:02 PM »
Yes, the middle terminal on the second flasher just goes to a second contact that also gets power when the relay is enegized. I would plug an insulated female spade connector over it so it doesn't get shorted to ground when the flasher is bouncing around under the dash.

To fix your "lights out" problem, look for a little add on connector harness that plugged onto your flasher plug, that contains a fuse holder. It put the flasher 6 inches away when somebody decided the circuit needed another hidden fuse. I have one from one of my harnesses but don't know what years they came on.
Rob

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009 - 05:32:50 PM »
Have you tried any of the 2-prong electronic type flashers? I see them on fleebay.
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009 - 05:39:46 PM »
I never tried one but basically the 3 prong type with the cap and relay is really just a 2 prong anyway.  Maybe that's all I neede all along. Maybe I just have to take a look at all of the flashers at the auto parts stores again.
Rob