Author Topic: shifter linkage  (Read 1561 times)

Offline HAWS

shifter linkage
« on: September 04, 2009 - 11:56:45 AM »
I have a 70 Cuda with a slapstick shifter. It works well in drive, but when I try to put into first it won't go, it is in second. I know it needs to be adjusted but I have never done this before so any help would be appreciated. Thanks....

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
Re: shifter linkage
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009 - 12:48:25 PM »
I'm sure Terry's got the answer for this... Neil too!  :grinyes:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009 - 09:06:59 PM »
the adjuster is on the rod that connect to the tranny under the car , use a 1/2 inch wrench to shorten or lenghten it , I think it needs to be a bit shorter

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009 - 09:41:05 PM »
Or one of the bushings could be worn or missing.
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009 - 12:30:04 AM »
I would bet that most of your problem is worn parts.  The bushing that is down on the trans is most likely worn.  I think this is a common problem.  What I ran into is that the shaft that rides in the bushing was also worn.  I'm going to have to have it welded up and ground back down to factory size.  The problem I was having is that the car wouldn't go completely into park.  The car would start to role backwards and then finally click into park.

Pull the shaft and bushing out of the car and inspect.  R/T Specialties has the bushing if you need it. 

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009 - 01:30:21 AM »
does Mopar , part # 3575434

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009 - 12:17:02 PM »
To properly adjust your console automatic transmission shifter linkage; First make sure the car is on level ground and "E" brake engaged. Loosen the adjustable rod swivel lock bolt (1/2" wrench). This is the rod (under the car) that connects to the tansmission shift control lever. Place the slap stick shifter in "PARK". Now move the shift control lever on the transmission all the way to the rear (in PARK detent). Set adjustable rod to proper length with no load applied in either direction on linkage. Now tighten the adjustable swivel lock bolt. Check your adjustment. Shift effort must be free and detents feel crisp. All gate stops must be positive. Detent position must be close enough to gate stops in neutral and drive to assure that hand lever (slap stick) will not remain out of detent position when placed against the gate and then released. Key start must occur only when shift lever is in PARK or NEUTRAL positions.  Hope this is clear & helpful!! :bigsmile:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009 - 06:32:50 PM »
for a maniac, you sure gave some sound logical advise :roflsmiley:

Offline HAWS

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009 - 10:38:04 PM »
 Thanks guys, if I had a brain I could figure how to send thank you notes to each of you. I adjusted the rod and it works!! Thanks again...