Coolers?

Author Topic: Coolers?  (Read 813 times)

Offline Glennster

Coolers?
« on: September 04, 2009 - 02:19:05 PM »
 What is a good trannie coolers for the E Body?
Anybody got pictures of one installed?
I'm not sure of a good location, THANKS for the help!

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
Re: Coolers?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009 - 04:54:29 PM »
I am kind of partial to the B&M super coolers. But most any good parts store should have a decent cooler for your car. I also subscribe to the larger is better theory so get the biggest one you can afford.
Just mount it in front of the radiator with the plastic ties that pass through the radiator.
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

wagesofsin

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009 - 06:26:53 PM »
I am kind of partial to the B&M super coolers. But most any good parts store should have a decent cooler for your car. I also subscribe to the larger is better theory so get the biggest one you can afford.
Just mount it in front of the radiator with the plastic ties that pass through the radiator.

:iagree:

ill be putting one on my car tomorrow, so if no one jumps in with some shots, ill post em up.

its gravy, and a great idea if your gonna run a 30+ year old radiator!!

not to mention the added benefit of cooler trans fluid.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009 - 06:28:25 PM by wagesofsin »

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009 - 06:37:42 PM »
The tranny already has lines running up to the radiator on automatic cars. Why do you guys feel the need for more cooling? A big stall converter, or what?

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

wagesofsin

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009 - 06:47:36 PM »
more cooling capacity!!!
and like i said, an ancient radiator may not be up to task. if youve had yours recored and boiled out... hmmm, id still run a cooler.
unless of course its a concourse gimmick.
additionally, a trans cooler mounted on the front will cool far more efficiantly than a bottom tank unit, thus leaving the trans fluid cooler and less susceptible to burning , which is a common problem most folks overlook.
added capacity pans are a bonus as well.

Offline quagmire

• Traction Impaired......
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009 - 07:17:08 PM »
It's needed because the torque converter generates lot's of heat, much more so under heavy load and high horsepower.  Higher stall converters create more heat when they are operated under stall speed due to operating ineffeciencies, and normal driving tends to keep them under those stall speeds.  If it weren't for the T/C, auto trans fluid would remain pretty cool.  The shearing of the fluid due to normal converter oil flow between it's components during torque multiplication creates a lot of friction and heat.  This is the biggest reason high performance and towing vehicles run big external coolers, the small cooler in the radiator gets maxed out easily. 

I also run a B&M Super Cooler, mine is mounted closer to the grill, off of the radiator with metal brackets.  My trans runs unbelievably cool too, I'm sure mine will be overcooling once it starts to get farther into fall.  I'd add a thermostat if it was my DD, but since it is primarily warm weather driven I won't bother now.

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009 - 09:00:30 AM »
 When I fit a trans cooler I plumb it directly from the cooling lines from the trans and not through the radiator at all. Some instructions show to plumb the external cooler into the return line back to the transmission, this is OK.
  Don't plumb the cooler into the pressure side from the transmission and then into the radiator or the oil will be heated up.   :cheers:
Dave

Offline 6packCuda

• Eagle, NE... Member since 11/17/06
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009 - 09:48:12 AM »
Here's mine. I just attached it to the radiator with the plastic ties that came with the cooler.

Dave