EFI Tank Options

Author Topic: EFI Tank Options  (Read 2738 times)

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
EFI Tank Options
« on: September 08, 2009 - 04:07:23 PM »
I'm planning to switch my car over to EFI within the next two years.  I'd prefer an in-tank pump, but not if it adds major $$$ to the cost.

What are my options for tanks/pumps/etc?  What are the 5.7 and 6.1 HEMI guys running?
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: EFI Tank Options
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009 - 01:46:32 AM »
I used dual Walbro inline pumps with a seperate line to each fuel rail , the are external & quiet

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009 - 06:53:24 AM »
I did my own for about $350.00 plus the new tank.

I dint want to spend the $800 to $1200 for the stuff on the market.
got the pump from tanks inc
http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=84/category_id=61/home_id=61/mode=prod/prd84.htm

Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline PlumCrazyChris

• Mopar Muscle Cars of Austin
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009 - 03:41:46 PM »
I'm using a low volume pump from the sending unit, thats plumbed to a fuel sump with a hi-pressure pump in it.  The hi-pres pump goes to the regulator/filter with a built in return.   The return goes to the sump, and then overflows back into the tank at the sending unit. 

The sump I used is a 10" water filter housing from Home Depot, about $20.  I thought of using a marine fuel filter setup, but you can't submerge the hi-pres pump with that, and I wanted to save money with a inexpensive factory replacement type pump. 

It all bolts to the brace in front of the tank, with the sump housing at a slight angle to tuck it up some.   I've got my new fuel line and the low pressure pump installed, and have the sump housing.  I just need to get the 90's mustang hi-pres pump ~$90 and install it and wire it. 

I'm going to run it on a 07 hemi.
I have a question.   Has anyone found a nice junkyard relay/fuse box for under the hood?  The one in my ranger pickup would work nice.   3 relays and lots of fuses in a 3x6" black case.   I'll need relays on my fan, headlights and fuel pump.

Do you see any reason to run separate relays for each pump?

PlumCrazyChris
Mopar Muscle Cars of Austin
Round Rock Tx
70 Challenger 5.7, A518, A/C
70 Challenger 340 convertible (Gone to Sweden)
68 Barracuda (sold it too)
www.mopar.org

Offline BruteForce

• '72 Dodge Challenger 340 5spd
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009 - 03:47:26 PM »
 :useless:

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009 - 05:59:30 PM »

I have a question.   Has anyone found a nice junkyard relay/fuse box for under the hood?  The one in my ranger pickup would work nice.   3 relays and lots of fuses in a 3x6" black case.   I'll need relays on my fan, headlights and fuel pump.
thats the one AEM uses for there efi setups  :thumbsup:

Some of the dodge cars and trucks look prety compact also.
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline PlumCrazyChris

• Mopar Muscle Cars of Austin
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009 - 10:40:11 AM »
I'm using a low volume pump from the sending unit, thats plumbed to a fuel sump with a hi-pressure pump in it.  The hi-pres pump goes to the regulator/filter with a built in return.   The return goes to the sump, and then overflows back into the tank at the sending unit. 

The sump I used is a 10" water filter housing from Home Depot, about $20.  I thought of using a marine fuel filter setup, but you can't submerge the hi-pres pump with that, and I wanted to save money with a inexpensive factory replacement type pump. 

It all bolts to the brace in front of the tank, with the sump housing at a slight angle to tuck it up some.   I've got my new fuel line and the low pressure pump installed, and have the sump housing.  I just need to get the 90's mustang hi-pres pump ~$90 and install it and wire it. 

I'm going to run it on a 07 hemi.

Do you see any reason to run separate relays for each pump?

Here are some pics of what I'm talking about.

Anti Surge Tank_Page_1

Anti Surge Tank_Page_2

Anti Surge Tank_Page_3

Anti Surge Tank_Page_4

Here is another option for a fuel sump, its a marine fuel filter, kills two birds with one stone, but you need a hi pres fuel pump that can survive not being submerged. 

fuel separator

and finally, the 99 corvette fuel filter/regulator/return line.  So mount this by the pump and only one line needs to be run to the front.  Then you can just use short lengths of inexpensive FI hose. 

99 vette fuel filter hookup

I have all the parts for this now, except the pump itself.  I was trying to find a hi pres pump under $100 but it seems impossible.  Please let me know if you may know of a cheap pump for this setup.

Thanks and good luck,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013 - 06:16:56 PM by PlumCrazyChris »
PlumCrazyChris
Mopar Muscle Cars of Austin
Round Rock Tx
70 Challenger 5.7, A518, A/C
70 Challenger 340 convertible (Gone to Sweden)
68 Barracuda (sold it too)
www.mopar.org