Author Topic: My EFI Conversion  (Read 23754 times)

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
Re: My EFI Conversion
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009 - 03:07:48 PM »
I've got it as one of my notifications (seems like an easy way to bookmark).  My understanding is that he hangs at Moparts.com now.

Here are the two threads:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=28401.0
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=7247.0

He ran 30# injectors, but that was in preparation for adding a Vortech.  Maybe I'm too big at 30#.  Shouldn't affect anything but pulse width, though  :dunno:
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline quagmire

• Traction Impaired......
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009 - 04:04:46 PM »
Injector pulsewidth is very important when doing an EFI build.  Too large of an injector can make it difficult or impossible to get a clean idle because the pulsewidth will be too short for the controller.  Too small can be a problem at high load because the pulswidth will be so high that the injectors can easily overheat and fail.  Generally, anything over 80% duty cycle at WOT is risky business even for NA engines.

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2009 - 02:33:54 AM »
This sizing program (and others since) said that I'd be at 67% with a 30# injector.
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360

Offline quagmire

• Traction Impaired......
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2009 - 10:15:47 AM »
That's healthy, and it leaves some room to grow.  I'd imagine idle and cruise pulsewidths would be fine with those, the Megasquirt website also has a calculator for that too.

Offline EFI-Cuda

• 1974 Cuda 408
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2009 - 02:23:17 AM »
How did I miss this post!    I'm the guy that converted his Cuda to EFI using the Ford 5.0 Mustang's computer years ago.  Everything that is being attempted, I've already done.  Again, I did this conversion many years ago and had to do a lot of pioneering to make this EFI swap work.  But, today there are items on the market that can significantly cut down on the aggravation of this swap.  I endorse the idea of this swap, and I have had a lot of fun over the years with the versatility and precision of EFI.

Currently, I am using a Vortech S-trim on my 408.  The Ford's EEC-IV Mass Air computer system that was available in the 1989-1993 5.0 Mustangs is a very stable and widely used computer system.  There is a ton of information and support for anyone using this computer system.  It is cheap and can be found in junk yards and over the internet.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2009 - 11:41:04 AM by EFI-Cuda »
Cuda 408, Ford EFI, Magnum heads, Vortech V-2 Si-Trim, A-518 transmission and 3.23 gears.

Offline BruteForce

• '72 Dodge Challenger 340 5spd
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2009 - 02:59:57 AM »
This sounds like a very cool and fun project.

You said you were doing a casting. Why not a hogout? There seem to be any number of machine shops on the internet where you can submit a design and they'll send you a machined hunk of metal. Your design looks like a great candidate for it. Hogouts are also 3 times stronger than a casting, and you won't have quality control problems with the casting.

Offline BruteForce

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2009 - 04:02:09 AM »
EFI-Cuda, I read the previous posts you made on your conversion with great interest. I have a 340 stroked that puts out 380 HP. I have no interest in supercharging it, so it's roughly equivalent to your first setup.

You mentioned new parts are available to make it easier, does that mean the hybrid distributors?

Can this be used with an MSD-6AL ignition system?

Offline BruteForce

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2009 - 05:48:14 AM »
From studying this a bit more, it seems the biggest problem is getting a high pressure fuel system installed. Can you show pics of how you've connected this to the fuel tank and where you mounted the pump? Thanks!

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2009 - 09:39:35 AM »
How did I miss this post!    I'm the guy that converted his Cuda to EFI using the Ford 5.0 Mustang's computer years ago.

Welcome back!  :clapping: We thought we'd lost you to Moparts.  Your original post(s) was what started my interest in doing this...

You said you were doing a casting. Why not a hogout?
1.  I want to try casting.
2.  I have a local foundryman who wants to try it, too.
3.  Cost, as always, is a concern.  A hogout would require starting with a 4" x 9" x 16" aluminum block and milling 80% of it away.
4.  In a non-supercharged application, I'm not sure that upper plenum strength will be an issue.
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2009 - 06:57:10 PM »
A couple questions:

Why the Ford stuff as opposed to Mopar stuff (maybe from a 90's to present truck with a 5.2 or 5.9)?

Where'd the term "hogout" come from? I've been a toolmaker/machinist/model maker/mold maker for 25 years and never heard this before.

Sounds like you're making good progress...any pics on the way?

Thanks!
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline Grundy

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2009 - 08:22:11 PM »
I'm in the middle of the swap. I'll update with more info, but I had a sleeve machined to match the bore for the mopar distributor. THe ford distributor fit on the inside, and I had the shaft of the for dizzy machined to match the small block mopar.  I have a bunch of links that i'll post also.
Drive it like you stole it.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2009 - 08:23:59 PM »
Why the Ford stuff as opposed to Mopar stuff (maybe from a 90's to present truck with a 5.2 or 5.9)?
There is very little aftermarket support for the stock dodge ecm. If you have a completely stock motor it would work fine. You could use the mopar intake, injectors etc. with a mustang controller for easier adapability.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline BruteForce

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2009 - 08:30:46 PM »
I'm in the middle of the swap.

How did you resolve the fuel return line problem?

Offline BruteForce

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2009 - 09:20:11 PM »
I looked at the Edelbrock 35260 EFI kit for comparison. The ad claims to be with everything you need, but of course the instructions say otherwise. It should contain more specific instructions on where to mount the pump, include a bracket for it, etc.

Offline Grundy

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2009 - 10:59:12 AM »
This is how i'm going to set up my fuel system:
http://www.midnightdsigns.com/james/FuelSystem.htm
Since the regular fuel tank has no baffle, the accumulator will keep you from running out of fuel at the inlet of the high pressure pump.

As for the return line into the gas tank, I bought a new sending unit with the return line built in. It's the hemi unit, looks like this:
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/futaseunha.html

This is a great resource regarding the ford MAF:
http://fordfuelinjection.com

That edelbrock kit is good as a guide, but it's VERY lacking as far as information.

The pic is of the machined ford dizzy and sleeve. These are they guys i used:
http://www.highprollc.com/index.html

Drive it like you stole it.