Author Topic: My EFI Conversion  (Read 23756 times)

Offline Grundy

Re: My EFI Conversion
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2009 - 11:02:28 AM »
Pic was too big. Here ya go.
Drive it like you stole it.

Offline BruteForce

• '72 Dodge Challenger 340 5spd
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2009 - 12:01:02 PM »
I'm excited about this! I've found a guy parting out a Mustang today I'm going to head out and get the basic parts from.

A 'hogout' is taking a block of metal and 'hogging' it out with a milling machine, i.e. cutting your part out of it, rather than starting with a forging or casting.

Can you show a pic of your fuel pump mount?

What do you do about the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) ?

I found the EGR replacement: http://www.ronmorrisperformance.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rmp&Product_Code=2115&Category_Code=Spec_Parts

and the 73mm MAF for 30lb injectors: $159 http://www.cnlperformance.com/maf_86-93.html

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2009 - 02:52:05 PM »
According to fordfuelinjection.com, as long as you have an automatic, you don't need the VSS.  An automatic will maintain engine RPM while slowing down, so the computer will always see some load/vac signal and respond.

My understanding is that the VSS only provides an input when in motion with little or no demand on the motor (slowing down in neutral).
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline BruteForce

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2009 - 06:55:44 PM »
Well, I have a stick shift!

Anyhow, it's not a deal breaker. I bought a bucket of parts today from a guy parting out Mustangs. He included the VSS thing, I'll have a good look at it.

Offline Grundy

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2009 - 08:04:37 PM »
I have a stick also. I got a vss (hopefully) that matches a ford. Ford requires 8 pulses per rev. I bought the cyberdine. http://www.egauges.com/vdo_send.asp?Sender=Cyb_GM

hopefully that works. We'll see.

Offline BruteForce

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2009 - 08:26:49 PM »
I do have an ace up my sleeve for the VSS. I have a Keisler transmission installed, and that was originally made for a Ford. So I might be able to get the VSS hooked up to it.

Also, thanks much for the link to the fuel sender return line. That's just what I was looking for!

Offline Daves74chally

• "Yea.... I need another new pair of tires"
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2009 - 12:08:25 AM »
Im going to pay close attention to this thread, this is a route that I have really been wanting to go. :popcorn:
1974 Dodge Challenger 414 stroker, 727 trans, 8 3/4 posi [OO/`````\OO]

Buffalo, NY

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2009 - 02:19:19 AM »
The VSS also affects the EGR function and will make the engine do strange stuff without it since it affects more than one table unless you alter the EEC-IV software using a tuner or chip. When you plumb the return line into the tank, make sure the return feeds into an area away from the pickup to reduce areation.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2009 - 08:31:17 AM »
Count me in on this too, was interested from the start. So that machined "adapter ring" is all thats needed to run the FOMOCO dist?
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2009 - 09:50:47 AM »
You'll need to put the Mopar "tip" on the end of the shaft.
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline PlumCrazyChris

• Mopar Muscle Cars of Austin
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2009 - 10:46:33 AM »
This is how i'm going to set up my fuel system:
http://www.midnightdsigns.com/james/FuelSystem.htm
Since the regular fuel tank has no baffle, the accumulator will keep you from running out of fuel at the inlet of the high pressure pump.

As for the return line into the gas tank, I bought a new sending unit with the return line built in. It's the hemi unit, looks like this:
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/futaseunha.html

This is a great resource regarding the ford MAF:
http://fordfuelinjection.com

That fordfuelinjection is a good site.

I am planning on doing it this way, should be a little cleaner and maybe my hi pres pump will last longer being submerged. 

I also posted this on the EFI Tank Options thread.
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=61841.0

I'm using a low volume pump from the sending unit, thats plumbed to a fuel sump with a hi-pressure pump in it.  The hi-pres pump goes to the regulator/filter with a built in return.   The return goes to the sump, and then overflows back into the tank at the sending unit. 

The sump I used is a 10" water filter housing from Home Depot, about $20.  I thought of using a marine fuel filter setup, but you can't submerge the hi-pres pump with that, and I wanted to save money with a inexpensive factory replacement type pump. 

It all bolts to the brace in front of the tank, with the sump housing at a slight angle to tuck it up some.   I've got my new fuel line and the low pressure pump installed, and have the sump housing.  I just need to get the 90's mustang hi-pres pump ~$90 and install it and wire it. 

I'm going to run it on a 07 hemi.
I have a question.   Has anyone found a nice junkyard relay/fuse box for under the hood?  The one in my ranger pickup would work nice.   3 relays and lots of fuses in a 3x6" black case.   I'll need relays on my fan, headlights and fuel pump.

Do you see any reason to run separate relays for each pump?

Here are some pics of what I'm talking about.

Anti Surge Tank_Page_1

Anti Surge Tank_Page_2

Anti Surge Tank_Page_3

Anti Surge Tank_Page_4

Here is another option for a fuel sump, its a marine fuel filter, kills two birds with one stone, but you need a hi pres fuel pump that can survive not being submerged. 

fuel separator

and finally, the 99 corvette fuel filter/regulator/return line.  So mount this by the pump and only one line needs to be run to the front.  Then you can just use short lengths of inexpensive FI hose. 

99 vette fuel filter hookup

I have all the parts for this now, except the pump itself.  I was trying to find a hi pres pump under $100 but it seems impossible.  Please let me know if you may know of a cheap pump for this setup.

Thanks and good luck,
Chris

PlumCrazyChris
Mopar Muscle Cars of Austin
Round Rock Tx
70 Challenger 5.7, A518, A/C
70 Challenger 340 convertible (Gone to Sweden)
68 Barracuda (sold it too)
www.mopar.org

Offline BruteForce

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2009 - 03:40:21 PM »
This looks like a great design. But one thing puzzles me, the article says a return line is needed from the surge tank back to the fuel tank, but your notes say one is not needed?

Offline PlumCrazyChris

• Mopar Muscle Cars of Austin
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2009 - 03:55:00 PM »
I think it does say that..... yep

"The return goes to the sump, and then overflows back into the tank at the sending unit."
PlumCrazyChris
Mopar Muscle Cars of Austin
Round Rock Tx
70 Challenger 5.7, A518, A/C
70 Challenger 340 convertible (Gone to Sweden)
68 Barracuda (sold it too)
www.mopar.org

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2009 - 12:43:20 AM »
From Holley's Fuel injection Commander 950 Installation manual. Read the note at the bottom.

I've used a regular sending unit for my EFI setup for 5 years now. The only time I almost ran out of gas is when I let it get to the last line before empty. I pulled off of the highway to get gas and the up hill slope of the ramp uncovered my pickup sock. I always fill up around 1/4 tank. I was able to quickly level off and drive to the gas station.

Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Grundy

« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2009 - 09:47:09 AM »
You would just need to make sure that you have enough flow out of your low pressure pump. That, inconjunction with the accumulator, should allow for no fuel starvation.

Also, i saw a trick flow inline high pressure fuel pump for just over 100 bucks. If i find the link again i'll post it.