Author Topic: Any mechanical engineers out there?  (Read 1197 times)

Offline jeryst

• Resident
Any mechanical engineers out there?
« on: September 12, 2009 - 05:45:32 AM »
I have been out of work for almost two years now. It seems that age discrimination in the IT field is running rampant, and if you are over 40, you are considered a dinosaur.

So I have gone back to college, and am working towards a degree in mechanical engineering. I was just wondering if anyone on the board is a mechanical engineer by profession.

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
Re: Any mechanical engineers out there?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009 - 10:11:58 AM »
I am not, but I actually develop software for the ME field.  My company, Altair Engineering, does ME work through their Product Design division, and contracts engineers out.  Here is the web site:

www.altair.com

Good luck
1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan

Offline garrett007

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009 - 09:37:09 PM »
Kinda, I work for Caterpillar.  I graduated in electrical eng. but now work mostly in mechanical side.  I have worked about 6 yrs as electrical and 6 as mechanical.  Currently I test new D10 and D11 dozers.
'68 Charger
'70 Challenger RT/SE (non-running)
'70 Challenger Deputy (non-running)
'1979 Macho W150
'96 Avenger - Gone
'05 Town & Country
'06 Charger R/T

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009 - 09:55:02 PM »
I am a mechanical engineer. Been out of school for 2 years, and work in the aerospace defense industry. Not sure about the schools where you are but most mechanical engineering degree programs take 5 years to complete. Good news about the field is the experts are predicting a huge demand for mechanical engineers as the baby boomers become elligible to retire. I hear about every couple of months from the executive vice president.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009 - 10:43:03 PM »
Sorry...Industrial Engineers here.
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline 70_challenger

• Suburban Detroit, Michigan
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009 - 11:22:09 PM »
I am a Mechanical Engineer.  Dual degrees in Mechanical Engineering and Automotive Engineering, actually.  (Well, the auto industry looked like a good career choice back then)  >:(

Anything I can help you with? 

IT is a strange field these days.  I had not heard much about age discrimination, but I know that a bunch of it has been shipped overseas.  I keep hearing that some of it is coming back, but I've never seen it!

Best of luck with your new adventure.   :cheers:

-Tom

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009 - 12:25:50 AM »
I got my BSME in 1986 and I honestly can't say I am glad I did.  If I knew then what I know now, there are a dozen other fields I would have considered and never given engineering a second thought!
I was in the auto parts industry for over 15 years, 14 years at one company before getting laid off in 2005, I lucked into another auto industry product engineer job quickly but that lasted less than a year before I got the axe.  It took me over 9 months of daily sending out of resumes and talking to headhunters, and over 30 interviews to find a new job. I finally managed to find a job outside of the automotive industry, which I thought was a wise move.  But a little over 2 years later I was out the door there too.  And now 10 months out of work, with little reason to have any hope I will ever find another engineering job.
It is important to know that "engineering" is not a generic term.  When you go to a certain company in a certain industry, your experience becomes very narrow focused. When you then try to get a new job, either to move on, or after a lay off, you will find that potential employers are looking for a very specific person when they are seeking to hire an experienced engineer.  You spend some years developing widgets used in the aerospace industry using Pro-Engineer 3D software, and you send a resume to a company developing similar widgets used in the farm equipment industry using Solidworks 3D they will have absolutely zero interest in talking to you, they want farm equipment industry knowledge, and someone proficient in Solidworks. You hear about a company that makes gadgets and you think that would be great place to work, but since your experience is in the widget industry, they will have no more interest in you for their staff than they would in somebody who works in a McDonalds drive through, despite that BSME you killed yourself for 5 years to earn.
You will have an extremely difficult time ever finding another engineering job unless you find another company using those widgets you know so well from your former work, used in the same industry your old work serviced, and using the exact same CAD and FEA software you are experienced in.
Most companies are so specific in what they want in a new hire engineer that they have probably narrowed it down to 4 or 5 people in the country.  They do not want to spend much time bringing anyone up to speed with training.  They want "turn key".
When you hear things about how hard it is to fill engineering positions, don't be deceived!  It is not that there aren't tons of engineers out there desperate for work, it is because these companies are so specific about what skills and experience they want, that there are very few out there who have that specific skillset.
Other things to consider, the starting pay is pretty high compared to other majors, but people with other degrees move up much faster than engineers, and within a few years you are sitting there making maybe 10% more than your entry level pay while all those people you knew with other degrees are now making 40-50% more than their entry level pay.
Engineers are not appreciated at most companies, when layoffs happen, engineers are usually the first to get hit.
Engineering management is generally pretty incompetent.  Engineering managers are typically some engineer who got rewarded for good performance with the promotion, but since their background is in engineering, not management, they are not very good at it.  And to make matters worse, management is not what they enjoy doing, they enjoyed designing stuff, and the fact that they are unhappy means that the people that work under them will not be working in a very positive environment.
Or, alternatively, someone is assigned to manage an engineering group who has little or no background in engineering, and has either no ability, or interest in learning about it.  The end result is not pretty.
The pointy haired boss in Dilbert is pretty tame compared to many of the knuckleheads I have worked under.  It isn't just me, just about every engineer can relate to the Dilbert cartoon because what you see there is our reality!
Your  current work is being outsourced, wth makes you think engineering is any different???
Engineering centers that do contract work are popping up all over India, and many engineering tasks that were done here are being done overseas now.  And that is a trend that is increasing, and not going to decrease anytime soon.
Engineering careers often don't last very long.  Most of the people I have kept in touch with from college are no longer in engineering.  I am surprised as I go through life how many people I meet in a variety of jobs who I come to find started out with an engineering degree.  More often than not, they tell me they loved engineering but couldn't make a good living at it.
I'd be in the same boat if I could find any company that would give me a chance in a different field, having no job security and the difficulty and length of time it takes to find a new engineering job is a pretty lousy situation to be in!!!
Ironically, in my hopes to someday some way have a full time job again, I am taking an IT related certification class later this month, it is a hardware and system related field that can't really be outsourced.  A good friend of mine is in that field and has been encouraging me for years to go into this area, and is starting some training classes, which I can take free, so I hope it will lead to something.
If it doesn't, I am still looking for other ideas but not coming up with much, I will probably end up getting a CDL and trying to make a living driving a truck.  Not exactly a dream job, but I am pretty down on wasting time and money and all that stress earning another degree, when it might very well end up being a waste like my BSME!
Lots of people have been able to use an engineering degree as a stepping stone to a successful career, it is just that the career they end up being successful in is rarely engineering!!
Sorry to be so negative, but I really don't think getting an engineering degree is worth it and hope you can find something with more job security where you will be appreciated for your hard work!

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009 - 12:46:19 AM »
JH27N0B sounds like you haven't had a very good experience in industry and sorry to hear that. I have to say with the company that I work for we have engineers with 40 and 50 years experience at this company, and engineers are the last to get the ax. I have been with the company 2 years since I graduated and have already received a promotion and two other large pay increases totally almost 30% over my initial high in salary. The average mechanical engineer in Silicon Valley makes over 150k a year, and while the price of living in the Bay Area is high, that is a pretty good wage. At the rate I am going at work it looks like I will be earning in the 6 figure range by my 5 year anniversary. While yes I was trained in Solidworks and the company I work for uses IDEAS and Pro E, the company is willing to pay for all the training I need to get up to speed. The company is also hiring I believe 6000 new people every year all over the country. I have seen the data from the aerospace industry in regards to employment and the outlook for the future looks great for new engineers in this industry. Especially in the defense industry, while yes some contracts may get cancelled as administrations change there are certain things that won't change. Maybe I am one of the lucky few to get on with a company that cares about their employees and understands what it takes to remain competitive in this world. Maybe I am too new to this industry, but I have nevermet an engineer before reading this thread that regretted going into this field and didn't make a lot of money doing it.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009 - 09:43:43 AM »
I'm with 72hemi on this one.  I've worked in the food industry for all of my 11 year career and my wife (both BSIE) has worked in light assembly, automotive, food and healthcare.

If you want to feel appreciated, engineering is NOT for you.  If you want to make a VERY comfortable living while staying out of the volatility, engineering is a great choice.  For our part, our pay was pretty competitive to start and ramped quickly after that and is still growing at a strong rate 4-7% per year.

One of the things that we've done to stay attractive is pursue additional training and/or certification.  My wife has her Lean Six Sigma Black Belt and I am working on mine.  I have been certified in several pieces of IE software.  Both of us are also researching Project Management certification.

Say what you want about the merits of any of these, but industry is still convinced of their validity and are willing to pay.

You may want to consider your job market as you study your options.  Are you bound to one area or are you willing to move?  Is there a university nearby that is churning out younger (cheaper) competitors?  In some industries, experience can actually work against you.

Basically, what can YOU do to make yourself attractive, not only as a new hire, but as a "keeper".  A new degree has a pretty high price tag, but if that's what it'll take...
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009 - 02:15:25 PM »
Ah memories, I remember back in the middle 80's a popular song by a band called Timbuk 3 I think it was, about the future being so bright I have to wear shades, 50 grand a year will buy a lot of beer.  Me and all my engineering school friends were singing that song as we graduated and started out in our exciting careers.
Too bad it didn't last all that long...
Actually, the best place to get a lot of feedback on opportunities by getting a BSME in middle age would be by going on LinkedIn, not here on a car enthusiast forum! I assume a IT guy who is unemployed is almost certainly on Linkedin, if not, you should join!
Join groups like "ASME" and the "Mechanical Engineers forum" and post the question for members in the engineering field to give you their feedback.
You get different prospectives from different engineers, just like you get a few here, similar questions have been posted before, like this one:
http://www.linkedin.com/groupAnswers?viewQuestionAndAnswers=&gid=86035&discussionID=6052897&sik=1252942616925&trk=ug_qa_q&goback=.ana_86035_1252942616925_3_2
At any rate, all I can say that back when I was in my 20's new in my engineering career, singing that song about the future being so bright I will have to wear shades, that I never would have imagined that at 47, with all my hard earned education and decades of work experience, that I would end up obsolete and unemployable.
I'm looking forward to my next career though, I hope I get into something soon!
I have 3 hungry Challengers to support! :burnout:

Offline matt63

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009 - 03:29:23 PM »
I'm a mechanical engineering technologist and both my Dad and brother are professional engineers.  It's a huge field and I have seen guys get into small niches with and without success.  Some can be secure but very limiting in terms of career or employer options.  If you get away from the technical aspect of the field and into mgmt or sales (if you like that kind of thing)  then there are a ton more options.  I went more with the technical sales and aftermarket side of the business more than the pure technical roles and have no regrets.

Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009 - 04:17:04 PM »
I worked on aircraft for 15 years. I went to school part time working on BSME while being single dad and working 40-60 hrs a week.

I wanted to be a Design Engineering rep (DER)for the FAA and over see damage repair in a not so "hands on" capacity. The first two years were pretty simple getting past all the core stuff and three years of Calculus but when I transferred into the Engineering dept at UTA, everything changed.

The courses were now application of the theory and I really struggled with it. Differential Equations blew my mind. I finally dropped out to take a break but regrettably, never went back.

However, my time in school exposed me to PC's and networking. I started a small part-time consulting business and finally parlayed that into an IT job with a large telecom company. Have 11 years now with that same company. So my time wasnt wasted, in the end it got me out of that hot and sweaty miserable hangar.

My hat's off to you ME's and EE's out there. Someday I'd like to pickup where I left off and try it again now that I have more time on my hands.

Ahhhhh.....who am I kidding? That's never gonna happen.           
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009 - 04:21:32 PM by miketyler »
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009 - 09:05:31 PM »
WOW,
I tend to agree with a lot that's been said here. There are many engineers in my family and my dad spent his life working in engineering; Merchant Marine Academy, Perdue University, US Navy & two tours of duty in Korea. I saw him struggle with age discrimination and being way over qualified. He went through a company split in the 1970's with Dow-Badische chemicals, so he went into long haul trucking for a few years (no degree required). He finally ended up in the Silicon Valley of CA working for Westinghouse and retired. I on the other hand decided to spend 4 years in an apprentice school as a marine machinist for the Navy. I work in engineering and am now a lead test engineer for the navy. The military is a good choice now for an up and coming engineers as many baby boomers are now retiring. I see new faces in my dept. all the time (mech/elect engineers). The pay and benefits are good. I've been at it 30 years now and make 6 figures anually (GS rating). I'll be 50 next month and in 5 years someone can have MY JOB!!! :bigsmile:

Matt  B
Matt