Mopar measurements/size...

Author Topic: Mopar measurements/size...  (Read 713 times)

Offline DavidSL

Mopar measurements/size...
« on: September 12, 2009 - 11:58:48 AM »
Hey all,

I'm new here, so hope this is in the right forum!

Basically I've been looking all over the Internet and can find very limited information about the size of muscle cars in general - length, width, height, etc. Because I'm in the UK, I don't really have any comparisons, plus obviously storage is going to be a consideration.

That, and I'm not a huge guy. I'm 5'7" and pretty skinny. A Dodge Charger would just swallow me up :lol: and of course, I don't wanna look stupid in a huge car. I know that Cudas are smaller, and Challengers too, but have no basis for comparison. Anyone able to point me to a reference or give me some measurements of these cars?

Thanks all!  :cheers:

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: Mopar measurements/size...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009 - 12:07:35 PM »
Welcome, David... The outer dimensions are easy enough but it sounds like your more interested in the interior.... I've never seen any measurements but bigger guys can get a bit cramped under the wheel.... I'm under 5'10 & always drove with the seat all the way back although I consider a Challenger a very roomy auto by today's standards .   
  Are there specific points you would like measurements of?
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009 - 12:33:22 PM »
Most of the info you want can be found in the original sales brochures. However, locating all those can be a time consuming and expensive exercise. Perhaps you can visit the specific sites of the cars your interested in to pick up the data you need.

Here are the goods on the 74 Challenger. Earlier models may be slightly less in overall length, and Cudas will be slightly less than that.

Overall length 198.6"
wheel base 110"
Overall height 50.9"
Overall width 77.4"
track width 60.7" rear, 60.2" front
Front seat cushion to headliner 37.4"
Front seat back to floor board 42.1"
Rear seat cushion to headliner 35.6"
Rear seat back to floor board 30.8"

Offline DavidSL

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009 - 02:01:05 PM »
Thanks guys!

I know the Challenger dimensions from Wikipedia - it sounds like the 74 is slightly larger. I know the Cuda is supposed to be smaller than the Challenger (at least in length) but I'm not too sure on exactly the size.

I guess it comes down to this - I'm only 5'7". There are a lot of cars out there that fit me fine, but they tend to be small cars. I love the Cuda and the Challenger, but wonder if they are gonna be too big for me. I've seen someone driving a Challenger who was probably a bit smaller than me, and they didn't look ridiculous, so maybe I'm just being insecure. Basically, I don't want to get into a Cuda or Challenger and not be able to see over the steering wheel, y'know? :bigshades:

Thanks again! :2thumbs:

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009 - 02:08:21 PM »
you`ll be just fine in either a cuda or a challenger....  but cuda`s are better  :naughty:
*** Bart ***

Offline burnt orange

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009 - 02:26:03 PM »
they didn't look ridiculous

You will NEVER look ridiulous driving a Cuda (Challenger maybe :naughty: )
An elf would not look ridiculous driving one.
E-bodies are cool and you will be the envy of everyone else!
< ° ) ) >< 

Offline DavidSL

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009 - 02:31:33 PM »
Haha thanks guys. I saw a guy my height driving a Charger, and he looked kinda small in it. But then, as I have been told by owners of BOTH Chargers and Challengers, the Charger is a tank in comparison.

I'll be honest, I'm going for a 1971 340 Cuda if I can save for one. :worshippy

Offline DavidSL

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009 - 09:04:05 AM »
I didn't realise just how LOW these cars are compared to modern cars. That being said, it seems the headroom in the Challenger is about the same as in the car I drive at the moment, which means the seats are lower.

Anyone here the same height as me? I'm just under 5'7" I believe. I think I really need to actually sit in one of these cars. It may seem a silly thing to worry about - but I do want a car that fits me, obviously!

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009 - 09:17:07 AM »
My cute lil wife is 4'11", I raised the driver's seat 1/2" so she could at least see over the sterring wheel  :roflsmiley: with the bulge hood I'm not convinced she can see the front edge...............but she don't have any problems scootin down the road.  :2thumbs:  I'm 5'7" and I prefer the roomyness of our 70 Charger, more confortable too.  :2thumbs: 
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline Fleet 500

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009 - 03:02:42 AM »
Hey all,

I'm new here, so hope this is in the right forum!

Basically I've been looking all over the Internet and can find very limited information about the size of muscle cars in general - length, width, height, etc. Because I'm in the UK, I don't really have any comparisons, plus obviously storage is going to be a consideration.

That, and I'm not a huge guy. I'm 5'7" and pretty skinny. A Dodge Charger would just swallow me up :lol: and of course, I don't wanna look stupid in a huge car. I know that Cudas are smaller, and Challengers too, but have no basis for comparison. Anyone able to point me to a reference or give me some measurements of these cars?

Thanks all!  :cheers:
Believe me, you don't have anything to worry about regarding looking "small" in a huge car. I am just over 5'4" and one of the cars I drive is a '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine (151.5" wheelbase and 252.2" inches long or just over 21 feet). Another car I own is a 19-foot long '69 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham.

My mom (4'11.5") used to drive several Cadillacs... a '60, '69, '70 and '74. All Coupe de Villes and all at least 225" long.

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009 - 06:15:18 AM »
  You will be fine in an E Body, the seat can raised with spacers. There are a few E Bodies in the UK, I think if you sent a PM to "bananaskin" who is a member here from the UK. or perhaps you could attend a show and convince an owner to let you sit in one.   :bigsmile:   :cheers:
Dave

Offline DavidSL

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009 - 06:44:49 AM »
Thanks everyone, appreciate the feedback.

whitesatinmopar - if your wife can manage, then I'm sure I can too! Actually, watching the movie 'Death Proof' by Quentin Tarantino - the girls driving the '70 Challenger in that aren't any taller than me (I know for a fact that the girl driving is smaller) and they seem to fit the car perfectly. Maybe I'm just being stupid. I have seen tall people driving these cars and they always look a bit squashed, so maybe I'll be just right!

That's quite a collection of Cadillacs Fleet 500! ;D

Aussie Challenger - thanks - I'm definitely gonna get to a show here in the UK next year and charm my way into an E-body! I'd better warn them to take the keys out of the ignition first, though - that would just be too tempting... :roflsmiley:

Hopefully I won't need spacers - turns out the head room is about the same or less than a Ford Fiesta, which I drive at the moment. No problem there - it's a pretty small car. I think I just haven't realised that whilst the cars are pretty big (Cudas seem to be more 'normal size' - they still are a lot lower than most of the cars on the road.

Thanks again, all! :2thumbs: