Author Topic: Is Dodge done in Nascar, Again?  (Read 970 times)

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
Is Dodge done in Nascar, Again?
« on: September 12, 2009 - 02:28:31 PM »
Just saw where Richard Petty Motorsports is moving to Ford next year.  As it stands, Dodge will only have 1 team with 3 cars next year.

http://www.nascar.com/2009/news/headlines/cup/09/11/preview.kkahne.reaction.ford/index.html
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009 - 03:35:27 PM by 73Chally »

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
Re: Is Dodge done in Nascar, Again?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009 - 03:10:33 PM »
Well they had a stint in GM already...  :faint:  Haven't heard this tho..
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009 - 05:11:05 PM »
Great timing when they have 2 wins this year after a long draught. The last one was last week. How many wins does Ford have this year?

Ford? They have like 2 wins total this year  :roflsmiley:

Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009 - 05:53:25 PM »
I hated to hear that the Petty team went to ford.
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009 - 06:32:27 PM »
I dont follow stock car racing all the time but have noticed the decreasing number of Dodge offerings on the track. I think it sucks that once again Chrysler is on the verge of dropping out of roundy round racing.   :sadwavey:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline fantum

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009 - 07:47:09 PM »
Yeah, I read a few weeks ago that somethng was going to happen because Dodge was pulling sponsorship money, which created a big hardship for Petty Motorsports.  The rumor I had heard was that he was leaning toward Toyota.  Ford sucks, but at least they're still a home soil organization.  I bet things would be different if NASCAR would allow Dodge drivers to use the Hemi technology that they developed.
Mike

Offline cudax34me

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009 - 09:31:29 PM »
Give it time guys and govt. motors will be out of it too.Toy-otay is the only one with the extra money to do r&d.Sooner or later there probly won't be anything else on the track.

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009 - 11:31:39 AM »
I'm with you on the HEMI thing fantum. BAck when the hemi was being reintroduced I thought mopar would have prominence once again... but the powers that be at NASCAR........  :crying:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009 - 02:26:13 PM »
The motors they are using now make about 850hp with just 358 cubes. It's unlikely any other overhead valve motor would do better, and even if it would Nascar would step in and change the rules anyway. Look what they did after Ryan Newman won 8 races a few years back and had 11 poles. The most sweeping changes they ever had in the sport with the Points system and the soft tires and then the "Car of tomorrow" which set all the Dodge teams back to where they started when they got back in to the sport.  Chrysler has always got the short end of the stick in Nascar (and always will) so I really don't care if they drop out. The sport is about the chassis setup and luck anyway today (like in not having some moron run you into the wall), not the motor that powers the car. :grinno:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009 - 06:53:31 PM »
UPDATE - Matt Kenseth (the top Ford guy with 2 wins this year) will NOT be in the chase for the championship. Neither will Kyle Bush, the hated Toyota driver. Kayne and Kyles brother Kurt WILL be, driving Dodges. :bananasmi

Dale Jr finished 21st.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009 - 07:04:27 PM by 71chally416 »

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009 - 05:51:19 AM »
  I don't follow NASCAR any more but I had also heard about Petty moving to Fraud, the last remaining team for Dodge still has a contract to run and is supposed to be on the move once that contract is up.
  R.I.P.  Dodge   :faint:
  What NASCAR has been trying to do to MOPAR's for years, Chrysler has now done to itself.   :banghead:
Dave

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009 - 06:13:34 AM »
Maybe they'll go out with a bang and steal the championship. They did it the last year the factory backed the trucks, despite being outnumbered big time. It's all about $$$ in Nascar. Whoever has the deepest pockets will have the most cars and trucks. The team owners care more about that than winning races or brand loyalty.  :grinyes: Chrysler figures Penske has the best chance of winning and they have definately proven to be the best since they got back into the sport, so they get all the $$$.  Petty switching just frees up more $$$ for them to operate with. I'd rather have one winner than a bunch of also-rans.   :2cents:

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009 - 09:14:44 AM »
I was excited about Dodge being back in Nascar but I have been watching less and less lately and when they are gone I`ll really lose interest in it.I don`t want to watch Toyota and Chevy stock cars winning all the time!
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009 - 09:20:08 AM »
 :iagree: Even though Kayne and Bush are in the chase, I immediately lost interest as soon as I heard RPM was switching to Ford.  I know the brand names are a farce to begin with, but at least it was something to follow.  I'll keep an eye on Penske next year, but won't be watching much at all.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009 - 05:53:56 PM »
Funny, Hot Rod has a big article in the November issue abou the new Ford and Dodge engines and how they are both clean sheets of paper in regard to design. Of course it is not unlike a big manufacturer to spend tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars on a program only to walk away before it is delivered.