Author Topic: Oi pan Gasget  (Read 1062 times)

Offline trouble

Oi pan Gasget
« on: September 15, 2009 - 07:17:36 PM »
I've asked this question once before,since then I've looked at the oil pan.I have a small leak at the rear of the oil pan gasget,very small.It seems as though I would have to lift the engine to get to the front bolts.Is there any type of silicone that i could try before I go through lifting the engine.
70 cuda 440 sixpack 4 speed.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009 - 07:57:00 PM by trouble »

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
Re: Oi pan Gasget
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009 - 08:20:25 PM »
Nope none that will do what you want them to.  sorry but when the oil leaks there is nothing that can be put there to stop it.   :2cents:
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009 - 08:49:15 PM »
I have the same double gasket/windage tray  arrangement. It leaks a bit. I decided to live with it until I need to fix something a little more severe.
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009 - 09:11:32 PM »
You dont have to lift the engine. A half inch wrench does fit the 2 front bolts with ease. You would have to unhook the inner tie rods from the center link tho. It is a very easy job. The pan comes right out. Auto tranny lines get in the way on some. Your pan a hemi/6pk pan or 402?  Also, are you sure it's the pan and not the oil sending unit, the intake gasket at the valley end, the dowel plugs in back of the block, cam seal plug, or the rear main seal?

Offline Matt

• 340 now a 416 stroker
  • 340 stroker 4spd "ya baby"
    • Car store automotive
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009 - 09:14:18 PM »
THEY ARE RIGHT.!!.I HAVE A GARAGE AND I HAVE SEEN EVERY THING KNOWN TO MAN TO STOP LEAKS EXTERNALLY..THERE IS NO WAY TO GET THE SURFACE TRUELY CLEAN ...BECAUSE THERE IS OIL BEHIND THE AREA YOU ARE TRYING TO FIX..WHEN YOU DO TAKE THAT PAN OFF...THERE IS A TYPLE OF SILICONE CALLED "THE RIGHT STUFF" IT WORKS SO GOOD THAT WE USE IT ON EVERYTHING ...IT IS ABOUT $18 A SMALL TUBE FOR YOUR CAULKING GUN BUT DOES THE JOB RIGHT FIRST TIME EVERY TIME...USE IT AROUND THE MAINS/.........mATT.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009 - 02:08:56 AM »
Right Stuff is $30 for the small tube here  :bricks1:

Make sure it is not leaking from the rear main seal cap , they are difficult to seal properly . I just did one on friday , the cheapest way to get the oil pan gasket is to order the windage tray Pkg from Mopar , it has top quality gaskets & is cheaper with the tray than the gaskets are seperatly . The front 5 bolts are tough but a 1/4 ratchet will usually fit , I drop the clutch inspection cover & the center link on one side & swing it out of the way & the oil pan can be removed , I drop the seal cap & put sealer betwen the cap & block both on the mating surface & up both side then I take a skinny screwdriver & put a bead of right stuff down the inside of the block to be sure it seals up as well as a small drop ont the ends of the seals + I offset the seal eands so they are not flush with the block as well . The right stuff is sticky enough to hold the windage tray up for a minute or so while you slide the pan back into place , do not ober tighten the bolts so the gasket squishes out

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t