Author Topic: SO WHAT DO U GUYS THINK OF THIS PAINT IDEA?  (Read 2349 times)

Offline 4THECHALLENGE

SO WHAT DO U GUYS THINK OF THIS PAINT IDEA?
« on: September 15, 2009 - 09:21:53 PM »
HI THERE EVERYONE  :burnout: after the mess at the shop with the harmonic balancer and the flex plate i think my car is one step closer to getting painted. so i have a couple of options, this is where i need your help.

my car is pretty straight to begin with..no damage no rust and no dents, its been blocked and its ready to be painted.

option 1 should i take the car to earl sheib and have them paint the car black with a clearcoat and an extra clear coat with color sand for 1200 dollars total or....

option 2 should i just save up some extra cash and have the car painted by a better shop for 2500 and whatever else i need....

im looking for a decent paint job. i dont want my car to be picked on or picked at when i drive to a car show or something. by the way i want black...

what do u guys think?
sorry im brief but im at work and cant be on the site long.
thanks for the input. :jumping:

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Re: SO WHAT DO U GUYS THINK OF THIS PAINT IDEA?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009 - 09:25:19 PM »
If it were me I would wait and pay extra. Paint is something you dont want to do more than once.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline grimmey71

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009 - 09:43:59 PM »
Where do you live? there may be some guys on here who could help or point you in the right direction.

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009 - 09:49:30 PM »
If you are going to paint it black it needs to be extra straight so nothing show up.  I would recommend a good shop to paint it.  I have painted several cars black and I have gotten them real good to look at.   :bigsmile:
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline 4THECHALLENGE

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009 - 11:29:40 PM »
I LIVE IN CHATSWORTH. I GOT THIS IDEA FROM A FRIEND THAT WORKS AT ONE DAY. I WALKED IN AND THEY HAD THIS 68 NOVA IN BLACK AND IT WAS INSANE....CRYSTAL CLEAR BLACK..IT LOOKED LIKE GLASS!! I ASKED THE REP AND HE SAID THAT THE OWNER HAD THE CAR BLOCKED AT ANOTHER PLACE AND THEY JUST PAINTED IT BECAUSE THEY DONT DO BODY WORK... I JUST FEEL LIKE IM GONNA PAY 2500 AND ITS GONNA BE THE SAME RESULTS FOR THE JOB. I HAVE PICS OF THE CAR IF U GUYS WANT TO SEE WHAT STAGE ITS IN JUST LET ME KNOW. I CANT POST EM CAUSE OF THE SIZE BUT I CAN EMAIL THEM TO ANYONE HERE AND THEY CAN POST THEM. THANKS GUYS  :cheers:

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009 - 01:51:35 AM »

i dont want my car to be picked on or picked at when i drive to a car show or something. by the way i want black...

Grow a thick skin now. People pick on your car at shows, it doesn't matter how nice it is - just the way some people are.

Just my  :2cents: but I would be willing to bet the car with a black paint job that looks like glass cost more than $2500 for the complete paint job unless you got a connection.

And if you have a connection, use it before it's gone.

It takes a ton of sanding labor labor to get a car straight enough to look nice in black when it's all done. Shooting a car might only be 8-16 hours labor time at most + material.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009 - 01:55:06 AM by ntstlgl1970 »
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline 4THECHALLENGE

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009 - 02:28:48 AM »
I already spent 4500 in body work the 1500 I was quoted was just paint. That nova I was talking about paid 1500 but just like me had the body work done somewhere else.

I was quoted 2500 just to paint the car no body work plus any additional thing that comes up which we know always will something always does.

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009 - 08:57:39 AM »
For a real good paint job you can expect to pay upwards of $10K or more, depending on your location, shop rates, and the the of paint that you use, and that is only for the blocking then painting.  Are you happy with the way the body sits right now, as far as how straight it is?  Wherever you go, be sure to check out there work.  Do you know where the owner of the Nova had their work done, and what they paid?

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009 - 10:46:17 AM »
I agree with what has been said above.  You arn't going to get a good paint job for $2500.  $10,000 is probably in the ballpark.  Paint isn't something you want to do on the cheap...especially if you are going black.

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009 - 10:53:39 AM »
I just wish I had a good place to paint cars for all of the guys here.  I hope to get one built soon and then I could do that.  It takes a lot of work to get a car to look real good black but when you do it really looks great.  I love to paint black.
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline 4THECHALLENGE

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009 - 12:37:26 PM »
I agree with what has been said above.  You arn't going to get a good paint job for $2500.  $10,000 is probably in the ballpark.  Paint isn't something you want to do on the cheap...especially if you are going black.

technicallly its not 2500 because i already spent 4500 in body work and blocking.. plus 2500 thats 7000 all together.
the nova was painted at one day. thats where i got the idea. i figured if the car is straight and ready then they can just paint it and it should look good assuming there are no scratches or anything sand the surface is ready.

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009 - 01:03:21 PM »
As the car sits right now, is it ready to paint, or does it need more priming and blocking beyond what has already been done?  Does part of the $2,500 include wet sanding and buffing after the paint, or do they just spray it and give it back to you?  I just ask because the wet sand/buffing could easily add another couple thousand, which would get you up into the $10K range.  Like was said before, the paint job and body work are the last things you want to cut corners on.  Not that you are, and it does not sound like you are, but we're just trying to give you a good idea of what all is involved.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009 - 01:24:23 PM »
I don't know what the shop rate is in your location but where I am its about $100 an hour and like stated above it can take between 8 and 16 hours to paint, so that there is $800-$1600 just for labor, then you run into the cost of materials. Those alone can cost a couple of grand depending on the quality used. My painter prefers PPG Global which can be pricey.

Also its true that people will pick your car apart regardless. After being around my painter for a couple of years, not I only see 3 or 4 cars a year that would have paint and body that come close to being perfect and I go to a lot of events and national events. There are of course tons of cars that look awesome, or great, and even more that look good. Black is a tough color because it is soo unforgiving on the bodywork.

And yes pictures are always good on here.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009 - 01:44:16 PM »
I'm surprised anyone would paint a car that someone else did the prep on.  My painter won't.  If the paint lifts, who's to say it was the painters fault and not the prep work?

My guy told me the story of a 58 Impala that he did.  He bought it with all the prep done and it was in primer.  It looked like it was ready to be sprayed with color.  He had it sitting outside in the sun and the quarter panels started looking strange.  The previous owner had glued the new quarters on the car instead of welding.  All it took to pop the quarters off the car was a heat gun. 

Offline TripleT

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009 - 01:49:18 PM »
I'm surprised anyone would paint a car that someone else did the prep on.  My painter won't.  If the paint lifts, who's to say it was the painters fault and not the prep work?

My guy told me the story of a 58 Impala that he did.  He bought it with all the prep done and it was in primer.  It looked like it was ready to be sprayed with color.  He had it sitting outside in the sun and the quarter panels started looking strange.  The previous owner had glued the new quarters on the car instead of welding.  All it took to pop the quarters off the car was a heat gun.

I can't imagine a worse nightmare story. 

Post pics please before and after the paint after you make your decision
-Tim

1970 Plymouth Barracuda    2000 Dodge Ram 2500