Author Topic: Tribute cars  (Read 4306 times)

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
Re: Tribute cars
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2009 - 10:12:13 PM »
Any car with 2/3's of the sheetmetal replaced is a "Clone".  Ya can't build a whole car around a 3" metal tag, a build sheet and one good frame rail while replacing 90% of the sheetmetal and other parts and then still claim it's "original".  :2cents:

As for Tribute bands it's the way for a musician to make good money in 2009 if it's done right. I used to play with one so I know. You just don't make $350 in a weekend playing in a normal cover band and they don't get $2,500 to play at the local Pub. Maybe 1/5th of that if they're really good and bring 50 people with them. :grinyes: The biggest problem I had in the Tribute band was getting to the bathroom during breaks with all the people standing in the way.

Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2009 - 10:15:39 PM »
Also as mopar people, we should be happy seeing any mopar on the road clone, tribute, fake, whatever. that just means another one wasn't crushed.
Scott   -  Member since 9/18/2005

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2009 - 08:40:51 AM »
Any car with 2/3's of the sheetmetal replaced is a "Clone".  Ya can't build a whole car around a 3" metal tag, a build sheet and one good frame rail while replacing 90% of the sheetmetal and other parts and then still claim it's "original".  :2cents:

That would not be considered a clone but rather a car "restored to original" providing it still had the numbers matching drive train.  I know where their is an original Bee, and it is also a survivor car.................but it is also dead, rusted into the ground. Too bad someone didn't "clone" it, "tribute" it or even "fake" it into something worth while instead of a pos.  Makes no difference what you want to call it unless you are being decietful when selling it. If ya get hung up on what a guy calls his car your just spinning your own wheels because your hung up  :2cents:  Enjoy the ride guys, the days keep getting shorter and the time is going faster, one day the book will be closed.
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2009 - 08:43:34 AM »
:2cents:  Enjoy the ride guys, the days keep getting shorter and the time is going faster, one day the book will be closed.

Amen Brother Jim.....     :cheers:
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline loco340cuda

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2009 - 09:12:20 AM »
Build it like you want it, call it whatever you want, just don't try and misrepresent what it is when it comes time to sell it.    :2cents:

:iagree:
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed - now stroked to 416ci (SOLD)
2017 Mustang Shelby GT350

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2009 - 09:21:25 AM »
I don`t consider calling a car a clone derogatory  but I guess some people do,to me it just describes what it is.I appreciate any nice old car regardless of what you call it.Restoring an original car is still restoring whether you just repaint or replace everything-it`s still the same car to me.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

moparniac

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2009 - 09:23:52 AM »
The FACT is modified cars are way more done today than originals.....  :working:

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2009 - 09:59:17 AM »
The FACT is modified cars are way more done today than originals.....  :working:

And I would guess a lot more FUN also!!!!!!!!
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline DavidSL

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2009 - 11:44:57 AM »
I guess what confuses me most is what people mean when they say 'clone'. I'd call a car a 'clone' if it was originally another model, right? I mean, you buy a 70 Challenger R/T with a 340 engine, replace the engine with a 440 and change the suspension and drive train with it, that's not a clone to me. That's just making it into the car you want. It's still a Challenger R/T - you've put in all the stuff you need to make it handle that bigger engine and drive the way you want to, surely that's just 'perfecting' the car to your requirements?

I'd only call a car a 'clone' if it was changed significantly. Changing from a 'Barracuda' - installing new engine, suspension, drive train, etc to make it into a 'Cuda' and changing all the decals on the car to 'Cuda' - that would be a clone to me - because you've made it into something it wasn't before. Yes, it's pretty much the same as I said with the Challenger - but the Challenger started off as the model it still is, you've just 'upgraded' it.

moparniac

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2009 - 12:07:56 PM »
And I would guess a lot more FUN also!!!!!!!!

X2  :lol2:

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2009 - 12:18:26 PM »
A few thoughts.....

My Car My cash KMA!!!  :grinyes:

Every car show the VIN NAZI"S are circling like buzzards over fresh road kill.   :nono:

She's fine as wine an ' she's all mine!  :burnout:

Y'all do the same now ya hear.....   :cheers:

70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Sean

• My Cuda Restore
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2009 - 07:04:52 PM »
I have a clone, fake, tribute, whatever you want to call it.

Numbers matching enginge and tranny, except the 6 pak manifold.  Call it what you want, but I love it. 

I have people coming up all the time nad as soon as you tell them it is a 73 most of the time they say it is a fake and walk off.

No it's not a fake, just becuase it has a T/A stripe. call it what you will, I don't care.  If you are that hung up on tributes, clones, etc. you aren't really in this for the hobby, you are in it for Money!

And they couldn't tell by the grille or tail lights when they walked up to the car that it wasn't a 70 model year Chally?  Sounds like these people are idiots only out to stir up trouble. 

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2009 - 08:53:35 PM »
most of them don't have a clue, they are usually the ones that tell you they have a 1972 hemi cuda T/A.

others say nice looking for a 73, how did you do this or that? I'm in the middle of mine and I like this etc.

Before we ever bought our car we would go to shows and I swore I would never be the asshole that some people are, like you would ask questions and they were just too good for you to even waste their time answering.

I don't go around looking at VIN's, I'm not a collector, I just enjoy seeing nice cars and talking to the people who proudly allow me to get to see them.
Scott   -  Member since 9/18/2005

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2009 - 09:10:49 PM »
I call mine a "Dodge Challenger".

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline DavidSL

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2009 - 06:37:51 AM »
most of them don't have a clue, they are usually the ones that tell you they have a 1972 hemi cuda T/A.

others say nice looking for a 73, how did you do this or that? I'm in the middle of mine and I like this etc.

Before we ever bought our car we would go to shows and I swore I would never be the asshole that some people are, like you would ask questions and they were just too good for you to even waste their time answering.

I don't go around looking at VIN's, I'm not a collector, I just enjoy seeing nice cars and talking to the people who proudly allow me to get to see them.

I love the Dodge Challenger because of Vanishing Point. I love the Dodge Charger because of Bullitt. I love the Cuda because it's a damn fine looking vehicle. Until I decided that I would like to own one of these cars, I had no idea about VINs and clones and all that stuff. All the cars I've looked at over the last month or so could have been clones, I'd have no idea. I'm like you, I just love the cars. They are beautiful!

The only time it will bother me is when it comes time to buying one. Clone or not, the cars are stunning and run and sound great. I don't see how this affects anything to be honest, it's just one of those snobberys people invent who usually have more money than sense.