Author Topic: Tribute cars  (Read 4305 times)

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
Re: Tribute cars
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2009 - 11:32:39 AM »
Well said David.
I couldnt care less I drive a clone. Its a great car in excellent condition, I love it, and thats all that matters.
I dont own or drive it for someone elses satisfaction or approval. In fact, I'm uncomfortable with all the stares and questions I get every time I pull it out of the garage. And if someone ever mentions anything to me about it not being "original", I'll tell em politely to kiss off.
I have seen lots of nice cars at shows, and I often make critical comments to myself about things I notice, but I would never let the owner know what I'm thinking...just "hey, nice car!". :bigsmile:
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline DavidSL

« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2009 - 12:01:02 PM »
That's exactly it! It is just for the driver. We watch films all the time with these cars driving along in chases and such - I'm not thinking, 'that's not an original' - it doesn't really matter in the end.

For collectors, I mean hardcore buy to profit dealers, it matters. If I could get an original, all numbers matching car that I wanted, of course I would. But I'd probably end up changing stuff myself anyway, and I think that's the point. I've seen articles online about people changing stuff just because they weren't built that well in the first place - that makes sense to me. :thumbsup:

I do understand the numbers matching thing, don't get me wrong. It's important to have these cars around. But when someone is asking $100,000 for a car it starts to get a little stupid. There aren't many people who can afford that kind of money, it's not something I'll ever be able to do. I suppose where there is demand, prices will shoot up. But I have seen numbers matching cars go for a third of that price, all as nice as the most expensive of them. So I think it gets confusing for people like me who are looking out for the future. I see cars for $100,000 and it puts me off, then I find one for so much cheaper and automatically think there MUST be something wrong with it. That's the worst thing about the whole 'clone culture', as it were - it just makes me suspicious of sellers, when really, I should be concerned how the car looks, feels, and runs.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2009 - 02:58:25 PM »
People have to put a label on everything.  I always think to my self   original not original. Thats it.  I just love a muscle car anyway it is built.  Some have papers and some don't.  I just feel lucky I actually own a muscle car and love driving it.

Everybody has a cuda or coupe, and everyone has a challenger    Most call our cars a cuda or challenger it's been that way since 1970 and will probably be that way for many years to come

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2009 - 03:09:17 PM »
Those of us that were around when they were new know the HP models were beat to death and passed around like crack whores. How many actually survived with the original drivetrain parts is a very small number if the truth were known. You'll have better luck trying to find a still working 40 YO Hollywood actress with no plastic work and everything "original".
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline DavidSL

« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2009 - 04:40:22 PM »
Those of us that were around when they were new know the HP models were beat to death and passed around like crack whores. How many actually survived with the original drivetrain parts is a very small number if the truth were known. You'll have better luck trying to find a still working 40 YO Hollywood actress with no plastic work and everything "original".

:grinyes:

I think the only thing for me is that wanting to buy one - I want to do the work. I don't know anything about restoration, nor mechanics - but I'm learning, and will continue to do so. If something is taken out of/put in my car, I want to make the decision. That said - I have to look at it logically. If I'm going to buy a numbers matching car, and planning to change the paint, interior and possibly 'upgrade' the drivetrain, I might as well find one that has had some work already and save myself the money.

That's the only stigma I have with 'restored' or 'cloned' cars - if I've done the work myself and it's not numbers matching, it wouldn't bother me - it's the not knowing what exactly has been done that would affect my decision about a car. That has nothing to do with seeing cars at a show and seeing how they have been altered, however - it would only ever bother me if I was buying it.